Has anyone become a dentist after dental dental technician? Does it make it easy to get in?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
as long as they are paid piece work and have to work Saturdays and Christmas Eve.
I'm not pleasant...he works 50 hrs/week and is trained no different than any other junior tech (just a little more accelerated)...even has homework. I know, I'm a brute (he'll thank me later :) )

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Hey didnt Florida state get in trouble for recruiting? Youre not buyin him shoes are ya?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Hey didnt Florida state get in trouble for recruiting? Youre not buyin him shoes are ya?
If it makes him get my relines due today out faster I will...lol

J

joebaker

Reaction score
Not sure about this but I also have something to share with dentists and people looking for dentists in Edmonton.

Hi I'm Joe from Cavanagh Dental. You can book an appointment for free dental checkout and consultation in Edmonton, Alberta areas. I work 7 days a week.

Thanks

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Does it make it easy to get in? A little, most of those interviewers want to make sure you are going to be dedicated and being in the dental field for some time shows that. Although, most of it is how you present yourself, answer the questions and the scores on the prereq's...DAT score, GPA of undergrad, etc. Now once you do make it into dental school and you are already a dental tech, you definitely have an upper hand in the later years of dental school. The first year is just like medical school first year...tons of gross anatomy, hard classes, five exams a day, not all that dental related. It's when you get into D2 (your second year) it becomes more focused on dentistry. Then D3 you actually start working on patients. D4 working on patients and completing school grad requirements while preparing for board exam. Every school is different and i'm using generalities but that's the gist of it. Will being a dental tech already, then going to dental school be easier...heck yeah it will. A lot of dental students struggle with the lab portion of school and it's very time consuming for them (go figure). As a dental tech, you will already know many of the basic terminology and lab fabrication procedures. Big help.
I have a Dental school student in the lab right now (he goes to dental school in August, already accepted),and by the time he goes he will do very well because he is learning and doing everything in our lab (learning the analog and digital workflows). Hope this helps.
We've had a few Dental School students come through our lab as well to work on their technical skills. It was years ago though. I will tell you this, I personally know someone on the admissions board of one of the top dental schools in the U.S. Dental Tech skills in and of themselves make zero difference for admissions. You have to have the grades and scores to get in. If you have the grades to make it through the academic stage then your tech skills will help you immensely on the clinical side. I was also told this by someone else in admissions at another top 5 dental school in the U.S. that academics is really the only thing that mattered to them. I do Find it interesting, because the same friend on the admissions board also complains about the lack of the current crop of students to want to do any technical work at all. The lab work required nowadays to graduate is close to zero compared to what it used to be. It is very unfortunate.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
We've had a few Dental School students come through our lab as well to work on their technical skills. It was years ago though. I will tell you this, I personally know someone on the admissions board of one of the top dental schools in the U.S. Dental Tech skills in and of themselves make zero difference for admissions. You have to have the grades and scores to get in. If you have the grades to make it through the academic stage then your tech skills will help you immensely on the clinical side. I was also told this by someone else in admissions at another top 5 dental school in the U.S. that academics is really the only thing that mattered to them. I do Find it interesting, because the same friend on the admissions board also complains about the lack of the current crop of students to want to do any technical work at all. The lab work required nowadays to graduate is close to zero compared to what it used to be. It is very unfortunate.
I'd agree with you on the top elite schools because they rank themselves by incoming gpa's, DAT, ACT scores of applications. Heck, my dental student is from Michigan, had a 4.0 gpa in chemistry and microbiology, nailed his DAT and didn't even get an interview at Univ. of Michigan. I disagree with ya on whether being in the dental field prior (hygienist, assistant, tech) doesn't help, it does outside those top 10 schools. I know some folks that had barely 3.0 GPA's and mediocre DAT scores but been in the dental field for a minute and got right in. Depends these days and I agree the old dental school days you were required to do most if not all your own lab work ...that isn't the case at all today. Almost all it gets farmed out, ask me how I know...my poor thumbs are zinging tonight.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense. Once your out of dental school, I doubt very many patients ask where you went to dental school or even care.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense. Once your out of dental school, I doubt very many patients ask where you went to dental school or even care.
It's who has the bigger dk syndrome when it comes to those top tiers....when in reality, they have the same diploma, credentials.

GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score
Could you imagine if all dental school students had to go work at a dental lab for six months before they went to dental school? Talk about instantly raising the dental industry bar overnight!!!
it should be requirement while in dental school / semester at the lab - dental tech 101

doug

doug

Reaction score
Interesting thought. We've had 8 future dentists work in the office next door to the lab. Not one of them willingly came over to see how the work was done. I had to invite them, I think they were so concerned with getting into school that they didn't give it a thought. Also, none of them send any work to me. They all seemed to end-up in corporate practices and they have no control over their lives.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
it should be requirement while in dental school / semester at the lab - dental tech 101
Wasn't that required in the past? Maybe not a semester, but at least some hands on. I think even the Pros students don't get a lot of hands on time anymore.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Wasn't that required in the past? Maybe not a semester, but at least some hands on. I think even the Pros students don't get a lot of hands on time anymore.
Well they still have lab classes. But its like training a tech in the lab for a year. Hardly an expert. Dentistry like most things is an illusion of expertise.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I was contemplating to become a dentist for a while, but back then, I couldn't afford to go back to school... nowadays I got three dentists on my payroll if that counts :Rock:

Nicko1974

Nicko1974

Reaction score
Hello,
Has anyone become a dentist after dental dental technician? Does it make it easy to get in? and where please?

Thanks in advance!
Fadi
Yes, I know 2 people who did.

F

flatproduct

Reaction score
I know 1 person. He did well for himself after investing in himself further and he is able to work closely with his technicians since he knows what needs to get done without having to do rework

Nicko1974

Nicko1974

Reaction score
I know 1 person. He did well for himself after investing in himself further and he is able to work closely with his technicians since he knows what needs to get done without having to do rework
Yes, it helps a lot, especially if you're running your own clinic.