Got an email re: Asiga or nextdent.

eddydy

eddydy

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between Asiga or nextdent.

I got an email from Whip Mix comparing the 2.
Please share your thoughts.

"Hi! It was nice talking with you today about our Asiga MAX printer. I spoke with my manager and the best pricing we can offer for the Asiga 3D printer is $13,000 which is almost $1,000 off the price. He typically does not give a discount unless there’s a show special.

The other printer you are considering is the Next Dent printer for $10,000. Please make sure you do some research before purchasing that over the Asiga. The Next Dent says they are a “open source printer” but they are not. You will have to use Next Dent material with that printer and no other resin will be accepted into that printer. The Asiga is a true open source material so you can use whatever resin you want to use. If you have any questions please let me know. If you are serious about the Next Dent & the Asiga then please do a TEST Print with each printer prior to purchasing one. You can send us an STL file or have a friend send us an STL file with their scanner. I have had lab owners do that when they don’t own a scanner yet.

With our consumable products you will get approximately 1 Liter of material out of 1 Liter of tray, 2 Liters of material out of 2 Liters, etc. And you will get approximately 50 single full arches out of a Liter of Resin."

Thanks

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
Tell you a sad story…
We were considering the Asiga not long ago and whip mix offered to print some models for us so we could get a comparison. Two weeks after we sent the file still no models - sigh.
someone did follow up to see what we thought of the printer… To which I responded “I wouldn’t know you never sent me the model so I could do the comparison”

They were very responsive at that point, but I simply said “any Time I’m considering a new technology price is the last thing I look at. First is the utility of the piece of equipment within the workflows I want to create. Second is the complexity of using and maintaining the device, because scalability is important and training and maintenance can affect that. Third is the level of responsiveness and support from the person I’m purchasing it from, because I’m not yet an expert in the new technology, I need other experts to guide me while I’m becoming one. Fourth is price.”

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between Asiga or nextdent.

I got an email from Whip Mix comparing the 2.
Please share your thoughts.

"Hi! It was nice talking with you today about our Asiga MAX printer. I spoke with my manager and the best pricing we can offer for the Asiga 3D printer is $13,000 which is almost $1,000 off the price. He typically does not give a discount unless there’s a show special.

The other printer you are considering is the Next Dent printer for $10,000. Please make sure you do some research before purchasing that over the Asiga. The Next Dent says they are a “open source printer” but they are not. You will have to use Next Dent material with that printer and no other resin will be accepted into that printer. The Asiga is a true open source material so you can use whatever resin you want to use. If you have any questions please let me know. If you are serious about the Next Dent & the Asiga then please do a TEST Print with each printer prior to purchasing one. You can send us an STL file or have a friend send us an STL file with their scanner. I have had lab owners do that when they don’t own a scanner yet.

With our consumable products you will get approximately 1 Liter of material out of 1 Liter of tray, 2 Liters of material out of 2 Liters, etc. And you will get approximately 50 single full arches out of a Liter of Resin."

Thanks
Hey Eddy, i'd love to help you with your choice, if you'd allow me to. I have been using an Asiga MAX for a year and a half now, and I couldn't be more enthusiastic. It is a TRUE open architecture printer. The key to this is using nesting software (the Asiga comes with Asiga Composer) that allows you to add new material files to you database. With Asiga, it's just a couple clicks. Easy as pie. Use anything you want. Nextdent may not be as flexible. As for support, you couldn't ask for a better company than WhipMix. @Jason D the experience you had is NOT the norm. Our support has been top-notch. What's awesome about WhipMix is that they don't just sell you a product. They are partners with your all throughout your digital journey. Our partnership with them has proven to have immeasurable value to us. They have a wide range of house-branded materials available with more in the pipelines, but what's awesome is that they don't lock you into that. We are currently printing 5 different resin brands (some of which are Nextdent),and we have gotten assistance from WhipMix on EACH one. They are a truly forward-thinking company, and I highly encourage you to strongly consider the Asiga MAX.

The NextDent might be a really awesome printer, I honestly don't know. But I can tell you for certain that you won't get the same digital partnership that you will get with WhipMix.

eddydy

eddydy

Reaction score
Thank you Jason for your input.

Thank you Bryce for a well, detailed and very helpful answer.

Last edited:
A

adl

Reaction score
Hey Eddy, i'd love to help you with your choice, if you'd allow me to. I have been using an Asiga MAX for a year and a half now, and I couldn't be more enthusiastic. It is a TRUE open architecture printer. The key to this is using nesting software (the Asiga comes with Asiga Composer) that allows you to add new material files to you database. With Asiga, it's just a couple clicks. Easy as pie. Use anything you want. Nextdent may not be as flexible. As for support, you couldn't ask for a better company than WhipMix. @Jason D the experience you had is NOT the norm. Our support has been top-notch. What's awesome about WhipMix is that they don't just sell you a product. They are partners with your all throughout your digital journey. Our partnership with them has proven to have immeasurable value to us. They have a wide range of house-branded materials available with more in the pipelines, but what's awesome is that they don't lock you into that. We are currently printing 5 different resin brands (some of which are Nextdent),and we have gotten assistance from WhipMix on EACH one. They are a truly forward-thinking company, and I highly encourage you to strongly consider the Asiga MAX.

The NextDent might be a really awesome printer, I honestly don't know. But I can tell you for certain that you won't get the same digital partnership that you will get with WhipMix.
That’s exactly the question, how do we know if we are or we are not the norm?

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
That’s exactly the question, how do we know if we are or we are not the norm?
I suppose we don't, but there's nothing special about our lab other than our excitement for digital technology. I see no reason why we would be particularly better service than any other lab.

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
Can you print NextDent bio-compatible materials (e.g. the C&B MFH, or the Denture Base 2.0 when it gets released) on the Asiga and sell FDA approved products (on the existing 510k) to your customer? I would look at that question closely if you plan on printing and selling those materials.

As to the support question, 3D Systems doesn't support the end user directly. Support goes through the distributor. Who's distributing the NextDent 5100? AvaDent, CadBlu, DAL? Anyone else? Look to their history for partnering with their customers.

I don't know about the accuracy of the Asiga, or the ease of use, or the consistency in post-processing between materials, or the longevity, heck I don't know anything about the Asiga, but I've been impressed with the 5100 so far. It's simple. Everything about it is simple.

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
I’m new to 3d printing, I the past few months had a ton of test models printed. Plus a lot research on different printers. I went with the 5100. I’ve had it for a few weeks and so far I’m pretty impressed. Setup and used the first day and printed a full platform of models. The print build took around 30 minutes. The printer appears to be built well.
As far as the price , that depends on what you need. Light curing box, mixer, extra resin tray, etc, plus resin to get started. I needed all that stuff. So for me the price was comparable to an Asiga..don’t know if all that would be included with an Asiga.

Scanned an upper, lower impressions plus bite, then designed ZI restorations. Then printed solid models ( no removable dies) then poured stone models to compare. Everything fit.. was ever so slightly more snug on the stone, but all was all interchangeable! 2D6568C9-017C-4139-A7A4-5B0C44FF4FEA.jpeg 29C4FA71-1861-425F-B7EF-419D4F8329F3.jpeg 2A299927-626F-42D7-A374-3CA48A98D4EA.jpeg 096676E8-3BE9-4404-970B-DA06506433F7.jpeg

Last edited:
cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
medical class 2 a products ( long term use ) like mfh , base , splint normally describe the whole process resin, printer, curing if you use another printer or curing unit your off to my information. or you get your own certificates not cheap. maybe someone could confirm.

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
cadfan, I think you may be correct. The 510k thing in the US can be certainly be complicated and confusing ( at least to me...) The way I understand it is, everything is approved to work together...equipment + materials + processing. Once you add or subtract anything from that system that is not approved (such as different materials or equipment ) you are technically no longer in compliance. If want to do it another way, then you have pay up and go through the whole "spiel" to become compliant. $$o_O

Last edited:
Juko

Juko

Reaction score
The nextdent printer is $10,000 however other things needed to operate the printer it comes to over $14000.
I am looking at nextdent 5100 but am waiting to pull trigger on purchase.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Are you using formalabs curing unit with the nextdent printer? I am about to purchase the printer but the curing unit from nextdent seems too expensive.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Are you using formalabs curing unit with the nextdent printer? I am about to purchase the printer but the curing unit from nextdent seems too expensive.

left side you can see it without box no class 2 a 1800 dollar the only different thing he uses formwash

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
As Cadfan pointed out, I did get the Lc-3d Print box. It is expensive , but extremely well built! it has 12 large UV lights that surround the prints on all 4 sides and will definitely give them an good even cure. I bought the Form Wash because I found that it really helps to make the post processing a LOT easier! It holds 2+ gallons of IPA....You can put the whole build platform with the model attached in it, press start and walk away. It has magnetic impellor to agitate the ipa any amount of time you set.Then I just knock off the supports and toss in the ultrasonic for 2 minutes. I also put the whole resin tray in and it will clean that as well. WAY easier than messing with all that dripping resin. ;)

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Tried out the C&B MFH on a hybrid implant case last week. sure, why not try a 5 implant provisional/ verification jig. :p Yikes! I got an education on part orientation and accuracy. After 3 misprints it actually worked. Check out the minimal supports on the print that came out accurate. Then I printed a model with analog sockets and a gingival mask generated from the scanned working model to see how it all would compare. Everything fit well. I’m not the best photographer, but here are some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_3973.JPG
    IMG_3973.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_3965.JPG
    IMG_3965.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_3983.JPG
    IMG_3983.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_3987.JPG
    IMG_3987.JPG