Good printer recommendation that's friendly with 3shape, mostly for surgical guides

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Formlabs, the original Rocky Doll.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I have a friend who's lease on the Carbon expired. He bought a Sprint Ray to replace it and is very happy with his results.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I have a friend who's lease on the Carbon expired. He bought a Sprint Ray to replace it and is very happy with his results.
Does he feel like he got bamboozled with carbon? With the numbers they were throwing out for lease, I don't get it.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I know he did plenty of work with it. He did comment that they aren't releasing any updates or improvements and that was his main point for switching.

V

VanMan42

Reaction score
If you have the money go with Asiga. I have sprintray as well but would pick the asiga every day.

D

Dave Gress

Reaction score
I ran two 2nd generation FormLabs printers, printing surgical guides, night guards, models, and diagnostic studies in white for chair side marketing. I used both the FormLabs Wash and the Cure units. I used all the dental resins and had good success. Their nesting software is easy to use. For surgical planning on 3Shape, you need their surgical planning module and training; licensed surgical planning dental surgeons are available online for design, review, and consultation. Titanium inserts specific for surgical planning kits and implant systems should be utilized. Another option for printing is to utilize lab service providers, but the best ones limit their services to Certified Dental Labs and not clinics. Argen has a room full of Carbon printers that print all of the above and also dentures with Dentsply material. Full disclosure, my significant other still sleeps with a Carbon printed night guard, that I designed in 3Shape in 2018. Carbon is pricey, but the service is great (you pay for a subscription and materials, not a machine) and production wise, fast. The best hint I can give is to keep all print surfaces, glass, etc., clean. I found that the over the counter 91% alcohol was only mediocre in cleaning performance. Chemical/welding supply companies sell 99% isopropyl by the 5 gallon bottle at nominal pricing.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I know this is almost 2 years old, but it's from JDT 2020 Nov/Dec article, 3D printers go mainstream.

20220707_124102_copy_700x562.jpg

Karl60

Karl60

Reaction score
We have the Asiga Max at the clinic, can't comment on the price as I know there are cheaper ones, though asiga works like a beast, hasn't let down yet.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
We have the Asiga Max at the clinic,

Can you share the link where you got this? Thank you!
It was a photo from the magazine. I keep issues for a while that could be helpful for future reference.

Here is the cover info if you want to Google it.

20220713_043106_copy_800x600.jpg

Karl60

Karl60

Reaction score
It was a photo from the magazine. I keep issues for a while that could be helpful for future reference.

Here is the cover info if you want to Google it.

View attachment 41132
Thanks a lot! I believe the stats might have changed over the past 2 years, but it is still legitimate info. I'd love to know how large was the survey and what's the basis behind the %. Not a question for you, just wondering.

DentalLaboratory7

DentalLaboratory7

Reaction score
Proced from least to greatest: Photon Mono X, Formlabs, NextDent, Sprint Ray

M

mmbh

Reaction score
We have a form 3B+. Its been a workhorse and very reliable for us for the last 6 months. We print about 3 full crowded build platforms per day of crown and bridge models and some occasional white study models, so it paid for itself almost immediately. Only downside so far are the slightly tight contacts. Its super user friendly but I have heard it can be hit or miss with either the quality or reliability of the machine. So maybe we just got lucky. We already need more print capacity. I know the asiga is great and probably a better overall longer term printer. I've heard very few complaints about the asiga. I wouldn't mind just getting a few more form3b+'s for the price and redundancy and print capacity, but haven't decided yet. The Asiga pro 4k is also on my very short list.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
So I thought I'd update this thread, we've decided to go with the Asiga Max UV. Do you guys have any opinions on resellers? We got a significantly better quote from Whipmix than Henry Schein for essentially the same package deal. Does anyone have any opinions on their support? The only difference being going with the Veriwhirl vs the Formlabs Form Wash (along with some things like power supply, ethernet cable, etc, nothing worth the $3000 price difference seemingly).

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I've read a lot of good posts on this forum regarding Whipmix and their support. I'd choose them over Schein (Zahn).