Good economy wax disc for diagnostics/test parts?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Right now we're rebuilding our fleet of Rolands and have to do multiple rounds of accuracy testing, calibration etc using Argen's grey 14mm discs, and they're fine, but it's kinda pricey given how you basically need to burn a whole disc for a comprehensive accuracy test or manual correction, and we're gonna have to do that a bunch across 6 different machines. We want to order a whole whack of diagnostic discs so we'll be set for the next couple of years or so, and so diagnostics doesn't consume the same wax we're stocking for actual production milling.

Can anybody recommend a brand of reasonably-cheap 98mm wax discs for calibration, test milling, etc? Something very hard that mills cleanly and works well with small-diameter end mills is ideal, it doesn't have to be carvable or have low ash content or anything like that, it just has to come off the mill cleanly and with excellent surface finish, stand up to handling, metrology intrusion and rattling around in a storage case without deforming, and not shatter if dropped off the bench. If it shows surface detail well, that's a bonus, i.e. avoiding white or ivory. Someone who ships to canada for reasonable rates would also be nice!

Right now I'm leaning towards an order from these guys: https://machinablewax.com/98mm-dental-cad-cam-wax-disks/ because I've heard fantastic reviews from conventional machinists, they've got a bunch of different formulations tailored towards different applications, give a lot of technical info and use instructions, etc. They apparently live and breathe milling wax. But after shipping from the US I probably won't save much, even with a volume buy.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Dito

I love the beige for normal wax-ups, but the white I use for diagnostic pontic wax-ups seems to be harder? Ask Ron :)

Top Bottom