Gold Adapts

D

Darci

Reaction score
Had a horrible miscast. 1200$ lost in gold adapts. Is there anyway to save the parts? Someone mentioned that the adapt melts at a much higher temp. and I could melt my metal off it.
Thoughts?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Oh no. Oh no no no no.

That hurts!

If you have a picture of the implants as they are now, might get better answers. (You can't upload the images here yet, put them at instagram or something tthen post the link if you would please.)

Somebody has to have better ideas than that.

Edit: remove my half vast idea. (say it out loud)

Last edited:
CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
You might be able to salvage most of your alloy but I don’t think you’re salvaging the parts.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
Tried the melting trick once, didn't work for me. The melting temp is likely within 350 degrees F if it's a high noble ceramic alloy. So if it's a high noble gold for full cast probably, if it's ceramic alloy, not likely unless you can do it in a controlled oven that will go to 2200 F .

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Can you grind off the gold and rewax to the interfaces?

G

grantoz

Reaction score
thats why i dont use them anymore

D

Darci

Reaction score
thats why i dont use them anymore
Thank you guys for replying. I figured it out that my new metal is incompatible. Has 10 percent silver. They stopped making my old alloy so was talked into Euro from Argen. I had no idea this could happen. The silver totally contaminated the interface so even if I could they are bad. At least I learned something.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
What exactly happened when you tried casting? The interface was contaminated? I need to see pictures. I have casted to gold adapts with silver in the alloy and haven't had any issues.

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
What exactly happened when you tried casting? The interface was contaminated? I need to see pictures. I have casted to gold adapts with silver in the alloy and haven't had any issues.
We thought you were abducted by aliens.
Welcome home.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Since I switched over from Argedent 45SF (discontinued) to Euro, I haven't any problems either casting and opaquing Zimmer and BioHorizons UCLAs

Poor photos for sure, but it's my next case I'm working on, roughed in.

2021-2-11 13-4-55.jpg

2021-2-11 13-5-38.jpg

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
what did you rough it with, a beaver?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
@Car 54

If I can give a few suggestions:
Buy some newer burrs and don't push quite as hard. Let the burr do the work and your hands will hurt less too. If you're working a harder metal, I've found that Komet double green band cut everything no matter how hard it is pretty well. Use them on 50% Pd metals and on removable chrome stuff. They really work well on harder materials and sneer and softer stuff.

Get some lab screws and an extra analog. Screw the abutment down to the extra analog and that gives you a good handle and protects the interface at the same time. The interface needs protecting from most of us.

There are tools out there that look like an odd metal pencil that take a modified abutment at one end in a screw down pincer thing so you have a better grip using your whole hand.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Since I switched over from Argedent 45SF (discontinued) to Euro, I haven't any problems either casting and opaquing Zimmer and BioHorizons UCLAs

Poor photos for sure, but it's my next case I'm working on, roughed in.

View attachment 37858

View attachment 37859
I gotta see the finished version before you pack for delivery. Please.
The different ways we get where we want to go amaze me.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
@Car 54

If I can give a few suggestions:
Buy some newer burrs and don't push quite as hard. Let the burr do the work and your hands will hurt less too. If you're working a harder metal, I've found that Komet double green band cut everything no matter how hard it is pretty well. Use them on 50% Pd metals and on removable chrome stuff. They really work well on harder materials and sneer and softer stuff.

Get some lab screws and an extra analog. Screw the abutment down to the extra analog and that gives you a good handle and protects the interface at the same time. The interface needs protecting from most of us.

There are tools out there that look like an odd metal pencil that take a modified abutment at one end in a screw down pincer thing so you have a better grip using your whole hand.

I've done a couple of these before ;)
Trust me, the bad photo makes it look worse than it is. I finalize the upper part with a pink stone before opaquing.

20210212_151228.jpg

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I've done a couple of these before ;)
Trust me, the bad photo makes it look worse than it is. I finalize the upper part with a pink stone before opaquing.

View attachment 37860
Okay, just really felt I had to make sure you knew the tools I knew to make things easier for you if possible.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Believe me, I've looked in my 10x scope at my work, I know ugly.