Glidewell Launches Obsidian

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Stolen from Marks post on facebook.
Natural vitality with toughness surpassing conventional ceramics

Mark Jackson: The pressing temperature is almost 100c lower. Germanium oxide, even in small amounts offers superior optical qualities, which is why it's used in lasers and fiber optics. Oh, and you can press it to metal too! Try that with emax.

It looks like they're offering to dentists for $75 a unit.
Correct me if im wrong.

Last edited:
RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I'm extremely tired and probably not thinking clearly. Has glidewell passed the point of being helpful to the lab industry? $75 a crown? As I sit and try a way to be glad I've come up with this. This will force ivoclar to lower their price on e.max? Ok. Will doctors expect to pay less cuase costs are coming down? Probably.
$75 from a scan and $99 from model are the prices.
I'm tired. Probably shouldn't be talking.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
So eventually the money grubbers will price their own industry out of existance.....

labman01

labman01

Reaction score
wonder how abrasive it's to natural dentition

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Its a copy of emax and it will be great, I bet they sell a ton of it.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"Has glidewell passed the point of being helpful to the lab industry? $75 a crown?"

Can they afford to be "helpful" any more with the strong competition from china.

M

martintay

Reaction score
Seems to me Glidewell`s are always ahead of the game when it comes to providing dentists with what they want, and at a competative price as well. They are market changers !

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
I thought emax press was 400mpa but their chart has it at 375mpa ? I am sure with there marketing machine and that price they will sell a ton of it.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
They are the competition and vendors to the rest of the lab industry and I bet they do well with their new product in both areas.

jackjabbour

jackjabbour

Reaction score
Can we buy this material? Or does glidewell have patent on this and we cannot buy it? I also heard that this material can be milled and won't need to be sintered or crystallized. I don't know but I am definitely interested in this material. I love emax and if this stuff is comparable to it and cheaper.....well I think I speak for most of us, we want to try it!!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Proving again that with high client turnover and low low prices, you too can be a market changer!

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I thought emax press was 400mpa but their chart has it at 375mpa ? I am sure with there marketing machine and that price they will sell a ton of it.

There's a difference between milled and pressed. Pressed is 400mp.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Its a copy of max and it will be great, I bet they sell a ton of it.

I agree with John, they will sell boat loads of them and boost their profit margin using their own emax copy. Other labs will buy this material and sell as emax knockoffs and help increase the strong hold of the lab business with $99.00 crowns and sub $99.00 crowns. The largest lab in the world is bringing us lab owner to our knees with low prices, and the down fall of the lab business as we've known it for the last 30 years. Just as easy as GW remarkably created a demand for lower priced crowns in the US, they could just as easily raise prices and change the future of us remainly labs. It wouldn't surprise me if this new material is improved over emax and the strength difference in emax press will have no concern to our accounts.
I personally have no respect for any lab owner that sells $99.00 crowns this day and time with the high cost of equipment and the years of experience it takes to be a good lab tech. Maybe I'm to old and outdated with the times, I'm still having flashbacks of $45.00 crown in 1973 and doctors charging patients $150.00 ..What does this say about our lab industry..
GW's yachts and planes, wonder how old the average car is in the GW parking lot, and how much newer the cars would be if GW raised the bar in lab pricing in the US. Do you think this could change the idea of low priced China pricing and other large labs pricing across the US ? Do you think raising the bar of lab pricing could change the way dental insurance pays out.
This new material could have many side effects ($75.00) other than being just another material on the market. I personally hope this new material is improved over emax press and is priced higher than emax ingots...
Other knockoffs of emax press are coming soon, and I hope those knockoffs are priced lower and improved over emax.. I don't like companies having a monopoly on a material and the pricing of crowns...
One last word... $75.00 crowns makes me sick to my stomach. The day a computer can design and color a crown will be the day a crown is worth $75. to $99.00 and the death of the lab tech.

biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
3G is LD and I don't see it as popular as e.max.... Why?

C

charles007

Reaction score
Branding sells millions. Ivoclar Emax & GW spends millions on ads.... Who do you think bought 3G

M

martintay

Reaction score
I agree with John, they will sell boat loads of them and boost their profit margin using their own emax copy. Other labs will buy this material and sell as emax knockoffs and help increase the strong hold of the lab business with $99.00 crowns and sub $99.00 crowns. The largest lab in the world is bringing us lab owner to our knees with low prices, and the down fall of the lab business as we've known it for the last 30 years. Just as easy as GW remarkably created a demand for lower priced crowns in the US, they could just as easily raise prices and change the future of us remainly labs. It wouldn't surprise me if this new material is improved over emax and the strength difference in emax press will have no concern to our accounts.
I personally have no respect for any lab owner that sells $99.00 crowns this day and time with the high cost of equipment and the years of experience it takes to be a good lab tech. Maybe I'm to old and outdated with the times, I'm still having flashbacks of $45.00 crown in 1973 and doctors charging patients $150.00 ..What does this say about our lab industry..
GW's yachts and planes, wonder how old the average car is in the GW parking lot, and how much newer the cars would be if GW raised the bar in lab pricing in the US. Do you think this could change the idea of low priced China pricing and other large labs pricing across the US ? Do you think raising the bar of lab pricing could change the way dental insurance pays out.
This new material could have many side effects ($75.00) other than being just another material on the market. I personally hope this new material is improved over emax press and is priced higher than emax ingots...
Other knockoffs of emax press are coming soon, and I hope those knockoffs are priced lower and improved over emax.. I don't like companies having a monopoly on a material and the pricing of crowns...
One last word... $75.00 crowns makes me sick to my stomach. The day a computer can design and color a crown will be the day a crown is worth $75. to $99.00 and the death of the lab tech.

As i`ve said before , i don`t see dentists charging less for their time ! But for some reason lab work is being devalued year by year.Cad cam is providing solutions and a competative edge at the moment,but IMO we are seeing the demise of the dental tech. Anyone remember typists... look what happened to typing pools when the computer took over !!! I`m convinced this will happen to a lot of us !!

doug

doug

Reaction score
3G was meant to be layered. Ivoclar has changed the material some to allow more Translucency and that gets us Monolithic pressed Emax.

corona

corona

Reaction score
depressing. everytime i get ready to bring my lab out of the "analog age" which in my opinion is still a viable profitable model , i read posts like this and im back on my heels and maybe i better not buy an 80 K plus digital cad cam to keep up with the joneses.
75. bucks for a crown from glidewell ? this just solidifies my thinking that any lab that markets for glidewell is part of the problem. Seems to me they (glidewell and the labs who sell their products ) are no different from straumann who now wants to kindly shove the smaller/midsize lab aside and market directly to dentists. Glidewell and Straumann do just fine on their own , why do the smaller labs want to help make it easier for their own heads to be chopped off.

Keep your costs down , pay your equipment off , DONT follow the trends as quickly unless you have the extra cash just lying around , do business with like minded entities , stay debt free (business and personal if possible ) hone your skills , and know your place in the market . i dont like to see the good wave of profit pass me by but with all the sharks in the water whats a small lab to do ??

i think i will continue to do what i do best , offer a custom hand made product specific to that patient/dentist needs with quality products made and sold by companies with the labs bottom line in their best interest . Im not so sure that doctors really care that labs are using cad cams and the latest digital widget . Correct me if i am wrong , dont dentists want a great looking long lasting product from a great lab they can count on at a great price???

M

martintay

Reaction score
depressing. everytime i get ready to bring my lab out of the "analog age" which in my opinion is still a viable profitable model , i read posts like this and im back on my heels and maybe i better not buy an 80 K plus digital cad cam to keep up with the joneses.
75. bucks for a crown from glidewell ? this just solidifies my thinking that any lab that markets for glidewell is part of the problem. Seems to me they (glidewell and the labs who sell their products ) are no different from straumann who now wants to kindly shove the smaller/midsize lab aside and market directly to dentists. Glidewell and Straumann do just fine on their own , why do the smaller labs want to help make it easier for their own heads to be chopped off.

Keep your costs down , pay your equipment off , DONT follow the trends as quickly unless you have the extra cash just lying around , do business with like minded entities , stay debt free (business and personal if possible ) hone your skills , and know your place in the market . i dont like to see the good wave of profit pass me by but with all the sharks in the water whats a small lab to do ??

i think i will continue to do what i do best , offer a custom hand made product specific to that patient/dentist needs with quality products made and sold by companies with the labs bottom line in their best interest . Im not so sure that doctors really care that labs are using cad cams and the latest digital widget . Correct me if i am wrong , dont dentists want a great looking long lasting product from a great lab they can count on at a great price???

A great realistic comment ! Glad to see we are not all sheep !!!!

C

charles007

Reaction score
I'll tell you what's realistic.... There will be more intraoral scanners sold this year, and probably twice that amount within the next 2 years..Hint hint Obsidian $75.00 crowns...... Insurance is paying less.... Cerec and E4D's are being promoted in dental meeting, lectures, trade mags, and on DT forum every minute of the day. Now we have GW and many other labs following the coat tails selling crowns at $99./$75.00... We all need to get our ducks in a row quickly. Any lab owner not looking to buy into cad/cam is in denial of the way our industry is already at, not where its heading..
We are all sheep at some level. Some labs are better at leading the way, rather than being a follower/a sheep.

Top Bottom