Glaze wearing off Emax and Empress

A

Androo101

Reaction score
Do glazes on monolithic Emax wear off commonly over a short period? I know Empress has some issues because the stains are soluble. Does anyone know if Emax Press and/or CAD experience the glaze coming off after a short period or only a few years of being in mouth?

What are the most common reasons for glaze to wear off? Hygienist polishing, poor temperature fusing initially in the lab or acidity eroding the glaze?

I've read on here PFMs hold their glaze better than Emax, however there are many many cases out there of PFMs losing their glaze (and thus looking light and mostly awful). So that concerns me!

Thank you.

I'm a noob! Hi 👋

doug

doug

Reaction score
We use the same glaze on all of our cases, MIYO. Can't say I've had any issues referred back to us, but if the doc adjusts anything and doesn't return it for a glase or even a good polishing...:banghead:

S

sugedap

Reaction score
merhaba, konu dışı ama ben üye olmak istiyorum fakat capchat doğrulama sorularına doğru cevabı bulamıyorum yardımcı olur musunuz?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
merhaba, konu dışı ama ben üye olmak istiyorum fakat capchat doğrulama sorularına doğru cevabı bulamıyorum yardımcı olur musunuz?

hello, it's off-topic but I want to become a member but I can't find the right answer to the capchat verification questions, can you help?
@Travis

P

PrecisionDental

Reaction score
Having worked for dental ceramic mfg's previously, I can tell you that in the IFU's it is recommended that separate applications of stain and glaze be carried out. Many technicians have learned to stain and glaze simultaneously, but the results generally are not as good as when carried out separately. Mixing the stain in with the glaze doesn't encapsulate the stain and therefore makes the restoration more susceptible to polishing the stain/glaze off as the stain may be closer to the surface. Additionally, the medium used by the hygienist may be a factor as well.. just my experience. Whenever possible, stain/characterize the restoration at a lower temp to fix the stains in place and then carry out at least one glaze bake to ensure that the stains are encapsulated within the glaze layer, thus providing greater longevity.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
We use the same glaze on all of our cases, MIYO. Can't say I've had any issues referred back to us, but if the doc adjusts anything and doesn't return it for a glase or even a good polishing...:banghead:
Pretty much miyo or nothing these days when it comes to stain and glaze. It blows ivocolor out of the water IMO.