Gingival Masking Material

L

LongIslandLab

Reaction score
I have the Argen 3shape scanner and I just started using it to make custom abutments but the scanner does not pick up the gingival masking. Argen tech support said that some labs coat it with stone dust but that is not working. What do others use or do you put in a coloring agent? I'm using Shein's own brand. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
One could also use titanium dioxide powder from an art place or soap making supplier. Use a brush to dab it on. Less particles in the air to breathe in
It's also food approved, so supposedly safer. It's in the white of powdered sugar donuts.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
There was a lab tech on here a couple of years ago, maybe Doris remembers that specialized in the gingival masks. Is she still here?

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
There was a lab tech on here a couple of years ago, maybe Doris remembers that specialized in the gingival masks. Is she still here?
I'm still here, just too busy to get on here much! I don't remember who the tech was that said that.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
If you're thinking of Kim, she retired, her lab website is shut down completely.

user name

user name

Reaction score
If you must spray, Spotcheck SKD-S2 works well. Id switch to a ging mask that scans like Zhermack Gingifast rigid. They also make one specific for people with crappy scanners.

You can also lightly go over your mask with a Komet Abrasive Buff, 9485m hp 250. Thatll let most be scanned.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
I have the Argen 3shape scanner and I just started using it to make custom abutments but the scanner does not pick up the gingival masking. Argen tech support said that some labs coat it with stone dust but that is not working. What do others use or do you put in a coloring agent? I'm using Shein's own brand. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Schien's doesn't scan well. Try Zhermack gingifast ridgid. It scans on my old laser (CS2) and my DOF HD (light) scanner. Oily fingerprints or separating fluid mess with the scan. http://www.zhermack.com/en/product/gingifast-rigid/

You do not need the CAD formula, IMO.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
It's also food approved, so supposedly safer. It's in the white of powdered sugar donuts.
Really! It is! And in paint, Nylon carpet backing, and a googol of other things.

Here's the fun part. Because of that, you can make a solar panel wiith powdered donuts, conductive glass and some dark strong tea to stain the white since white doesn't absorb but blocks light.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
We use ivoclar gingitech, still doesn't get picked up in the scan so we use cad spray from Talladium 5 for 100 tall spray can size bottles. Buying scanable gingival mask is expensive and not so soft. We tried some from Zahn, scans very well but breaks when taking it on and off.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Coltene's Gi-Mask scans very nicely without any spray.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Is it flexible? The Zhermack rigid is somewhat flexible, but it does tear on occasion.
Its very flexible. Recently I bought Zhermacks scannable tissue for the first time (always used Coltene) because buy one get one. Did not like it at all. Wouldn't set all the way on Impergum. Wanted to return but they told me to keep it or throw it out.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Its very flexible. Recently I bought Zhermacks scannable tissue for the first time (always used Coltene) because buy one get one. Did not like it at all. Wouldn't set all the way on Impergum. Wanted to return but they told me to keep it or throw it out.

I went through the same thing with Permadyne impressions, I had to use Imprint 3 to get it to set. Since that account has switched to a polyvinyl, I went with Zhermack Ridgid.

It does tend to be a little brittle and break if you have to try to pull it out through contacts that are hanging over the path of insertion, especially on lowers as I found out last week. I think I'll try the Elastic version and just use a little spray, as it sounds like that version may need a little spray.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Do you use the hand mix or the gun?

Until millennium gets back to you, I prefer to use a gun. You may lose some money from what is lost in the mixing tips, and the cost of those replacements,
but the control is very nice in using a gun with a tip, especially when its a implant next to a prep.

Top Bottom