Getting "dimples" near sprue area - e.max press

WENDY

WENDY

Reaction score
I have been getting "dimples" and short margins around the sprue. (Photos attached - kinda blurry sorry)
Especially on thicker crowns.

Did you ever have any problems like these? How did you fix it?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1493.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1493.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 71
  • thumbnail_IMG_1492.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1492.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 72
  • thumbnail_IMG_1489.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1489.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 73
  • thumbnail_IMG_1488.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1488.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 78
W

Willard

Reaction score
may be your sprue design or placement.
Haven’t had that problem.
From what I can tell from pics. I don’t think it is what recommended from Ivoclar

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
From what I can tell from pics. I don’t think it is what recommended from Ivoclar

Looks like LiSi press issues. ( until dialed in) 🤔
Have you made any changes like investment, wax.......

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Did you ever have any problems like these? How did you fix it?
I have had this issue occasionally. But not as severe as it looks on the images. In most cases it is user introduced. Critical spots are the sprue 'attachment' points with sharp angles, where the investment can be ripped away and end up in the crown. You may also revise your sprueing technique in general. But it could also be a bad batch of investment. What are you using?

J

junctureengraving

Reaction score
I haven't heard of that problem.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Looks like there is a bubbling at the margins in the waxup, my $ is on debubblizer? Are you using a de-bubblizer, if so blow excess out. I have also seen this from the die lube, I believe gator lube has alcohol and it reacts with investment adversely. The fact that it's by the margins seems to point to some kind of material that's inside the waxup and it's collecting near margin and reacting with investment. I'm sure someone else has seen this and will have advise. It does look like pull back in one pic(i.e. button and sprue are cooling before crown, pulling material away from crown, as it's still molten glass?) My 2 cents

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Raise the burnout temp by 10* let the pressing furnace idling at pressing entry temp for 10 minutes to heat up before pressing
, make sure your sprues are placed according to instruction, dry debubblizer completely

WENDY

WENDY

Reaction score

Yes, I was suspecting it's the sprue placement...

WENDY

WENDY

Reaction score
I use the pressvest premium from Ivoclar Vivadent.
I have had this issue occasionally. But not as severe as it looks on the images. In most cases it is user introduced. Critical spots are the sprue 'attachment' points with sharp angles, where the investment can be ripped away and end up in the crown. You may also revise your sprueing technique in general. But it could also be a bad batch of investment. What are you using?

Thank you so much for the advice - I will look into the sprueing technique.

WENDY

WENDY

Reaction score
Looks like there is a bubbling at the margins in the waxup, my $ is on debubblizer? Are you using a de-bubblizer, if so blow excess out. I have also seen this from the die lube, I believe gator lube has alcohol and it reacts with investment adversely. The fact that it's by the margins seems to point to some kind of material that's inside the waxup and it's collecting near margin and reacting with investment. I'm sure someone else has seen this and will have advise. It does look like pull back in one pic(i.e. button and sprue are cooling before crown, pulling material away from crown, as it's still molten glass?) My 2 cents
Thank you for your input - I actually do not use any debubblizer.
Yes, it does look like the material pulled back... Maybe the sprue is too close to the margin?

WENDY

WENDY

Reaction score
Raise the burnout temp by 10* let the pressing furnace idling at pressing entry temp for 10 minutes to heat up before pressing
, make sure your sprues are placed according to instruction, dry debubblizer completely
Thank you for the tip! I will definitely keep note on that.

WENDY

WENDY

Reaction score
Looks like LiSi press issues. ( until dialed in) 🤔
Have you made any changes like investment, wax.......
Hmm... No changes - I have been using Pressvest Premium for a while. Also the same wax, same burn out temp and press schedule...

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Hmm... No changes - I have been using Pressvest Premium for a while. Also the same wax, same burn out temp and press schedule...

Ivo has rewritten their sprueing rules over the years. See the pics . I don’t position molars as horizontal as in fig.2 . See my example. That places crown more in the 10mm rule, to the side and top of the ring. Also I try to keep the sprue around 3mm.

8739AC55-DC63-493E-A2E3-B17A555D00DE.jpeg F844853B-A2FC-4DA4-8CCF-8FA759D972BC.jpeg A71DBB21-261B-4099-9CC4-CF08DC526639.jpeg

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Thank you so much for these info! I will look into these.

You may want to also contact DVA, one of the sponsors here at DLN for a free sample of Cream Press investment. ;)
Stuff is amazing!
And check into the Super Ring that they sell too!

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Micro star from Jensen is by far the best investment I e used in the 20 years that tingles technique started! I would recommend as easy to use and detests nicely

user name

user name

Reaction score
Micro star from Jensen is by far the best investment I e used in the 20 years that tingles technique started! I would recommend as easy to use and detests nicely
They used to get their stuff through Zubler; theres now an improved version called 144 Speed. Available through Zubler.