Full Z crown issue

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
I send all of my zirconia work out to be scanned and milled. A full zirconia crown was made, finished and sent to the dentist. During the appointment to insert the crown, the dentist was making some adjustments and he said that a translucent 'coping' detached from the inside of the crown. It was as if a coping was made first and then a full zirconia crown was placed on top of that coping. The dentist ended up cementing everything into the patient's mouth. He's asking me why that happened to a full zirconia crown and I don't know what to tell him. I've asked the same question to the milling centre and they don't have an answer for me. The milling centre has offered a free remake, but I'm really curious why that happened. Any ideas?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Did he take any pics ?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Was it a multilayered zirconia?
Do you do the finishing?

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are no pictures. It wasn't multilayered. All I did was stain and glaze the crown.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are no pictures. It wasn't multilayered. All I did was stain and glaze the crown.
" It was as if a coping was made first and then a full zirconia crown was placed on top of that coping. "
are these the dentist's words? I suspect it was a linear crack that formed after he adjusted it. This has the appearance of separation in strong light.

I have had a couple multilayers crack on me upon insertion recently.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Maybe find out more about why he had to adjust.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
Maybe find out more about why he had to adjust.
The bite was adjusted. I know I had it down to 0.5mm in one particular area. He probably trimmed that area even thinner.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
" It was as if a coping was made first and then a full zirconia crown was placed on top of that coping. "
are these the dentist's words? I suspect it was a linear crack that formed after he adjusted it. This has the appearance of separation in strong light.

I have had a couple multilayers crack on me upon insertion recently.
Yes, his words. I was thinking a crack may have developed as well. But, it's odd that a crack would take the form of a coping.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Yes, his words. I was thinking a crack may have developed as well. But, it's odd that a crack would take the form of a coping.
maybe it separated at the layer junction? You said he cemented it anyway?
Charge him for the crown and a coping then lol.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
maybe it separated at the layer junction? You said he cemented it anyway?
Charge him for the crown and a coping then lol.
Haha! Yes, I'll tell him that I didn't charge enough. All the parts fit nicely together, so he cemented everything. I wish he took pictures to have a better idea of what it looked like.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
The crown was designed as a split file. and Something mixed up in fabrication, may be:)

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
The crown was designed as a split file. and Something mixed up in fabrication, may be:)
That would make the most sense but still very strange, fit would have had to be impeccable to be 2 in one without noticing and only pulled apart removing from Pt.'s mouth or by vibrations of adjustments chairside. Also probably would have been billed for both as a split file, 2 units. Just weird.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
I send all of my zirconia work out to be scanned and milled. A full zirconia crown was made, finished and sent to the dentist. During the appointment to insert the crown, the dentist was making some adjustments and he said that a translucent 'coping' detached from the inside of the crown. It was as if a coping was made first and then a full zirconia crown was placed on top of that coping. The dentist ended up cementing everything into the patient's mouth. He's asking me why that happened to a full zirconia crown and I don't know what to tell him. I've asked the same question to the milling centre and they don't have an answer for me. The milling centre has offered a free remake, but I'm really curious why that happened. Any ideas?
It does not make any sense.If it was a coping and layered, it would not have lasted in the mouth just because the porcelain is not that strong on it’s own.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
It does not make any sense.If it was a coping and layered, it would not have lasted in the mouth just because the porcelain is not that strong on it’s own.
This case was never meant to have layered porcelain. The occlusion didn't really allow for it.