Full Contour Zirconia

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
The case was freehand this client has very good hands and preps very nice, you can see the symetry is awesome and the perspective on the cad design is much nicer than the crappy camera phone picture.
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc285_Ziconia_FCZdesign_zps731e73e0.jpg
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc285_Ziconia_FCZdesign_zps731e73e0.jpg

stumpf

stumpf

Reaction score
John! Very good design!Congartulations!I like very very much ZENOSTAR....

I like to know what is the thickness for you prefer when you do a monolithic ZENOSTAR crown?

Best Regards

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Not sure there is a gold rule on thickness, I am just extremely impressed at how the acid based stains penetrate the Zircon. What I find that makes the units pop is HOW you apply the stains and how clean the canvas is. I have two different paint brushes that I use to vary concentration of stain when I apply it to the crown. This seems to diffuse the light and fool the eye to give the illusion of depth.

Recently I have been experimenting when I sinter, I am very conscious to putting the thick units around the edge of the plate and the thin units in the center. I also face the facial aspect of the crown towards the center of the chamber. I have absolutely no clue if this is doing anything but to my eye it appears that I am getting a more consistent trans line to the incisals.

As I surpass a 1000 units I have learned much and still am tweaking what we do here with the same products. It now becomes a game to try and match the guide with Zero external stain, while I love Wielands products it is the only product I have used. I have tried samples of others but it all comes back to the comparison of what I am comfortable with. I do the grass is always greener thinking when I read about products but I can honestly say my clients and I have been very satisfied with the results of Zenostar.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
John, you should definitely try to take quality photos. Once you get on a roll and have it set up it just takes a few minutes.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
J

Last edited:
RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
thanks for the screen shot. Do you feel the texture from the design is found in the milled units and can you place the sprues in a way so they won't ruin it?
I did some first ever temps on the 3shape, 5 anterior upper and 6 units on the lower case. It was fun, can't wait to see them come back.
And I agree with Bob, start taking pics, I've been learning a lot from everyone sharing their work.

Bumfrey

Bumfrey

Reaction score
John i am aiming to be doing this hopefully sooner rather than later, and i will post pics when i do.
Your pics are inspiring me to GET IT DONE.
You are a kind fellow to show how you are getting on with the materials.
Great results, i am happy for you.
'Good on ya mate'
as we say down here.

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
Looking good John.

Do you ever have a tech, or yourself put a thin layer of porcelain on the facial to allow texturing and mechanical polish similar to how you would do a e.max cutback?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
thanks for the screen shot. Do you feel the texture from the design is found in the milled units and can you place the sprues in a way so they won't ruin it?
I did some first ever temps on the 3shape, 5 anterior upper and 6 units on the lower case. It was fun, can't wait to see them come back.
And I agree with Bob, start taking pics, I've been learning a lot from everyone sharing their work.

The surface texture is most definetly there after its milled but it becomes washed out when you you stain and glaze.

We routinly do facial cutback on all ant's but this one was a pretty easy shade and the client request no cut back. I spent some time on the net last night and bought some new toys to capture some better photos we shall see how well I can make them work.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
John i am aiming to be doing this hopefully sooner rather than later, and i will post pics when i do.
Your pics are inspiring me to GET IT DONE.
You are a kind fellow to show how you are getting on with the materials.
Great results, i am happy for you.
'Good on ya mate'
as we say down here.

Thanks!

I have always been eager to learn share and participate with out remorse. This place really has some of the most talented techs in the world sharing some amazing works of art. I am just humbled to be able to participate with them, and share what I have learned in an industry that has given me more than I could have ever imagined.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Looking good John.

Do you ever have a tech, or yourself put a thin layer of porcelain on the facial to allow texturing and mechanical polish similar to how you would do a e.max cutback?

Haven't tried that technique, Charles sent me a rather nice PM with simalar info, I will share it with my ceramists and practice on a few units to see the results.

Thanks

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
This was a test case I just recently did, while trying out different Zr manufactors. The Zr is from Sagemax, I used GC Luster Paste. I'm by no means a master ceramist, but I think the overall look, shade is amazing. I originally was going to put up picks of all three Zr types, but one of the disks we used was a pre-shaded and I didn't realize it. So it was stained with ZZ pre-sintered stain and I think it took something away from the quality, just doesn't look right to me. The other brand was from CAP, it looked amazing with Luster Paste on it. Actually they look identical to each other. Thanks to CAP for the Zr disk I got while at Chicago, thanks for the anatomy library. This thing really looks great.
2013-03-20085958_zpsed631d94.jpg
[/IMG]
2013-03-20085822_zps76aecb3f.jpg
[/IMG]
2013-03-20085910_zps6cf68139.jpg
[/IMG]
2013-03-20085854_zpsba7696ba.jpg
[/IMG]

C

charles007

Reaction score
The technique I've shared with John last night on firing a thin layer of dentin and enamel layer is very simple. Use Ivoclar's ZirLiner liquid with your dentin and separate enamel and brush on a thin layer as though your using a paste opaque, or GC Lustre. This liquid works great and allows you to get a very evenly coat of dentin and enamel, kind of like your using LG Lustre as a stain. No blotting needed.. dry 6 minutes like you normally would using ZirLiner .Fire at your bonding/wash coat firing ! The thin layer will allow just enough room for surface texture. I even thought about doing a .2 cutback just to have a finish line to fill in with porcelain and firing a second layer fired at bis-bake temp. Naturally you would not want to carry over on biting surface/ occlusion. This technique may seem excessive on FCZ, but it does make a big difference. The vast majority of my crowns are FCZ with facial and buccal cutbacks, and I use the same Zirliner liquid for my wash bonding bake, Not ZirLiner powder, I use VM9 and GC ZR....

Last edited:
Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
I think this is something we should all see.
taken from Dentaltown.com
IMG_2518_55539.jpg
IMG_2561_55711.jpg

Sure this does not represent all full contours but i think it highlights how important the use of modifiers are in the incisal 3rd along with consistant colouring around the cervical.

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
IMG_2518_55539.jpg
IMG_2561_55711.jpg

Sure this does not represent all full contours but i think it highlights how important the use of modifiers are in the incisal 3rd along with consistant colouring around the cervical.

Wow. Noted. That is not cool...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Looks good on the model.

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
IMG_2518_55539.jpg
IMG_2561_55711.jpg

I'd say its a decent case if the shade was correct......

M

martintay

Reaction score
Here is a fun case I did today, received yesterday at noon, poured/scanned by 4pm, designed at 7am today, milled by 8am, sintered by 2pm, stain/glazed and shipped by 330pm for a local client. 2 days in lab 6 unit slam dunk case FC-Zenostar,

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc285/Ziconia/b8fe6884-2c34-43e4-87dd-6f249e0210e2_zpsaeb6
df3e.jpg
John, slightly layered on facial. Ok i would have done things different as the photo shows all !But this is approx 5 years post fitting and the patient is still happy, and the gingiva is looking healthy. Just a comparison.
Armitage.jpg

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Very Nice!

We have been doing mostly cutback on all ant, this was the first larger case we did mono, I am waiting to hear how it goes today.