Full Arch Splint On Custom Abutments

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do19.jpg

It really helps to number them!

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do22a.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do22d.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do19.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do22a.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do22d.jpg

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Hope you have a lot of VD to allow you to bring up the CEJ and not bring each units margin from the fixture. Pink Porc can be your friend here.

The ap Spread does not look great how far you figure you can cantilever off of the most distal fixture?

Denture teeth break on Hybrids for lots of reasons but generally its because the ant guidance is not correct and the patient can slide into an unnatural premature contact and then "Pop" goes the weakest link. Glass will do the same thing so be careful.

Since there is a hybrid already made it would be beneficial to use it as the verification jig for the master model and to then make a custom incisal guide table to visualize what is going wrong. Truth is there is a better than average shot that its just poor lab work causing the fractures.

I have a ridiculous bar in for a retread today and I am shocked at what poor craftsmanship there is on this casting. I have documented everything and when the Dr who went through the Misch training saw what he previously paid for he went through the roof!

Ah the joys of fixing other peoples nightmares

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Al,

I love everything you do, my friend!

What metal do you use for your abutment casting?

Are you polishing, then isolating margins and re-sandblasting to matte the finish of the coronal portion?

Are you spruning every single tooth for the stability to pull the wax frame from the abutments and reduce flex while in wax or for metal flow?

Do you spot connect to minimize contraction of the wax as it cools, then go back and thicken wax attachments a little at a time?

Looks like Straumann synOcta...

(sorry for so many questions, professor!)

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
The Dr wanted type 4 gold, so I used Harmony XH. Never used it before but it worked well.
I dont know if the little extra sprues going to the margins were necessary but I have had a couple of short castings on ucla abutments before, but never when I add them.

Yeah polished it then sandblasted it. Thats exactly what the Dr wanted, he sent me pics of abutments other labs made for him to use as a guide.

First time I isolated the polished part with my finger, but that didnt work out too well, so I used red sticky wax, blasted then ran it under cold water then picked off the wax. Prpblem with that is it scratches the metal when you pick off the wax and it is time consuming so I was thinking about mabey ordering and trying the removable die spacer.

I really dont know why I sprue everything thats just the way I was taught in lab school and what all the books said.

For the wax after it was finished I disconnected everything then reconnected with wax. A spot at a time. Then I removed it a few times to check for draw.
I pushed it really easy to check to see if it would seat without having to flex to go down all the way.

Then I cut it again, rechecked the margins then I tacked each joint at the gin with GC pattern resin let it set the tacked some more till the entire joint was done.

Then pulled it on and off a few times and rechecked the margin and fit.

If it had distal molar abutments and was longer span I would cast it in sections and have it laser welded.

I read an article where the tech did not connect the runner bars and made sure there was min to no button to reduce the warpage that happens when then the molten casting solidifies and cools so I tried that here. I only ended up with a the sprues being barely connected at the former,they broke apart easily by hand, so really no button.

Last edited:
Al.

Al.

Reaction score
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do34a.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do34d.jpg

I kept the margins on the thick side. For me if I have thin areas below .3 or thin margins, I get short margins or holes in the casting with Palladium based metals.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do34e.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do34a.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do34d.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do34e.jpg

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Al,., great documentation. Nice work, looking good so far my friend.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
The final shade will be C1.
My first add on. This is a simple and fast thing but for me very important.
The darker color in the connections.
Watch for it in the final glazed pics to shine through and help to give depth and seperation or as Bobby Orr said it in another thread "contrast".

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do41.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do41.jpg

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Interesting that you now have a pinned model. Were the abutments delivered and an impression taken???

Sent for metal try in then pick up impression??

Seems like stacking the gingival portion is going to be a bit more difficult???

Like to know what others do when I see something like this.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Fast forward to the final bake.

A very important bake for me.

Some detail. Things that can make an average case better.

Where my M and D line angles are not defined I add on also the HOC's.
I try to make them promonant and tapered in a V shape. This makes them look more 3d or not flat. Very important IMO. I used 0E4 or a whiter incisal to make then contrast or stand out.

Another important final add on for me is the incisal edges. For middle aged patients I like to keep them sharp. Most disks also cut to wide a seperation between lower anteriors so I try to add right over to the next tooth and the small shrinkage is usually just right. I use both reg incisal and OE4.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do42.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do43.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do44.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do42.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do43.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do44.jpg

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Al, ever experimented with the Bredent casting technique? Or anyone else here? - Looks a bit radical to me with the use of sink-heads. They claim to have superior accuracy and reliability with their castings.
copied from Bredent pdf - single spue for bridge.
ai56.tinypic.com_n51xqh.jpg

link
bredent GmbH & Co.KG
go to "casting technique" under "brochures"

This is something I've not tried, just don't have time to do trials for something such as this.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Interesting that you now have a pinned model. Were the abutments delivered and an impression taken???

Sent for metal try in then pick up impression??

Seems like stacking the gingival portion is going to be a bit more difficult???

Like to know what others do when I see something like this.

Yes he took an impression with the abutments seated.
I used the sectioned model for the occlusion and the solid for the tissue.
There is an upper denture and buccal cusp occ only on the Bi's.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Al, ever experimented with the Bredent casting technique? Or anyone else here? - Looks a bit radical to me with the use of sink-heads. They claim to have superior accuracy and reliability with their castings.
copied from Bredent pdf - single spue for bridge.

link
bredent GmbH & Co.KG
go to "casting technique" under "brochures"

This is something I've not tried, just don't have time to do trials for something such as this.

No but it is intresting with so many labs wanting to focus on all ceramics and become metal free, I wonder what that means for the future.

Mabey leave a void for labs that havnt forgotten how to cast frameworks?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Hey Al, great documentation. I'm curious, how are your castings getting so shiny...is it just the metal? I'm talking the sheen look after devesting (glass beads?)

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Hey Al, great documentation. I'm curious, how are your castings getting so shiny...is it just the metal? I'm talking the sheen look after devesting (glass beads?)

I used glass beads just for the pic. I normally use AL and their dull.

But it is intresting when I do devest the castings they come out really shiney just like the pic, in the areas that the investment comes of cleanly. I dont know if that is the nature of PD or just this metal but my 40% au castings come out dull.

After the pics I sandblast the whole thing so I can see spots I might miss finishing it and fitting them because its hard to see bubbles with the inside shiney.

Last edited:
disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
I am sure it can be done but the majority of abutments today are not being done in gold. It makes so little sense when Ti has so many advantages.

I am searching Pub-med for articles right now that give some sort of reasoning why gold is a more preferred material and have not found anything concrete.

Like I said I think the old timers are just set in their ways.

When we did these types of cases before we invested in cad/cam the units were waxed in milling wax, put on the milling machine and shaped, casted then re milled. It was a very labor intensive way of doing it. I can't tell you how many late late nights I had in the lab doing milled 2 degree abutments with galvano copes cemented into a substructure to support a denture.

These were and are sweet appliances.

Its still considered to be more Bio-compatable by some older guys, and by some younger guys learning from older guys...oye...

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
impressive, mammelons are not needed when you know how to use your effects powders :) D'sign porcelain?

Last edited:
disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
I used glass beads just for the pic. I normally use AL and their dull.

But it is intresting when I do devest the castings they come out really shiney just like the pic, in the areas that the investment comes of cleanly. I dont know if that is the nature of PD or just this metal but my 40% au castings come out dull.

After the pics I sandblast the whole thing so I can see spots I might miss finishing it and fitting them because its hard to see bubbles with the inside shiney.

yes, its the nature of PD, the new Au.. do you like working with it? what company are you ordering your metal from? ivoclar?

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Its Calisto 75 PD layered with Inline.

Ok here it is glazed. Im pretty satisfied. It went out Mon wont be seated for another week.

Fingers crossed all goes well.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do48.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do52.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do58.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do59.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do62.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do64.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do71.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do75.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do77.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do85.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do87.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do48.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do52.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do58.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do59.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do62.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do64.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do71.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do75.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do77.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do85.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Downing_do87.jpg