Full Arch pmma hybrid on Cera Mill motion 2

Taylor

Taylor

Reaction score
Hi all, we are having difficulty getting a full arch with gingiva to mill on the Cera mill m2 . It constantly breaks tool 2 and ends up milling out with all kinds of striations. We are using the motion 2 CAM to nest. Is there anything special we should look out for?

PRO ARTS DL

PRO ARTS DL

Reaction score
Are you using Ceramills PMMA? Are you using their tools or third party?

Is your coolant old? Are your burs old?

What I have found is this:

The motion 2 does not do very well with other PMMA's other than their own. This is a strategy problem most likely, but we can't change that.
I have had "good" results with Harvest Dental PMMA and Sagemax is ok but not as good.

The burs wear down really fast when milling PMMA, so if your burs are too old they will give you really bad fits and they may break

I was breaking a lot of the diamond burs for emax, even if they were brand new. It stopped as soon as I dumped the old coolant and made a new mix.

I have the motion 2 and I've thought that the next full arch PMMA temporary I have to mill I am sending out since they just don't mill well on the motion 2 IMO. My biggest issue is that the area where you sit the Ti bases never mills right and always end up way too tight. I end up having to adjust which just defeats the purpose.

Q

qbawy

Reaction score
I have a m2 dna. It broke loads of t2 burrs. New liquid , old liquid, new burrs , old burrs... all the same. It was usually breaking in hard to reach areas. Simetimes the half of the burr was sticking out from the bridge . Terrible. BUT my solution to this notorius problem is this: when you are about to calculate tool paths just set the undercut to Fine - NOT hd. It hardly make Any diffrence in the outcome, but no more broken burrs! Try it and you will see. :)
I have to admit that the ti base slots and crowns interiors as well are way to tight in pmma on m2 , but since it is a temporary restorations and it is v easy to adjust, I can live with that. But WHY is that.l? Helpdesk is helpless...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
set the undercut to Fine - NOT hd. It hardly make Any diffrence in the outcome, but no more broken burrs! Try it and you will see. :)
I have to admit that the ti base slots and crowns interiors as well are way to tight in pmma on m2 , but since it is a temporary restorations and it is v easy to adjust, I can live with that. But WHY is that
because as a rule milling undercut "automatically" in the majority of simplified CAM for dental, is basically useless. full of retract statements, very long toolpaths, lead-in statements that improperly account for machine capability to engage material at speed...

basically because they werent as fleshed out as they should have been.

i have the same problem with imes, dentmill, easyshape, and most of the other cam calculator software out there. until we got a proper version of worknc for which we paid dearly, i was unable to modify most of the strategies for milling. but now i can, and to be quite honest while the process has been difficult and tricky, i've been able to fix most of the tooling breakages i've had by not letting the system run strategies that came from the people who wrote the software.

i've also now identified a handful of proper actual factual bugs in the software that were new.

the point i am making is that you would do well to spend the money on the "full" license of whatever software you run on your machine, for the best opportunity to correct these silly things. initially it will be scary to open and play, but with enough time (i have now had full license for 10 months) you'll be amazed at the superior results you can acheive.

for example, by adding a 5mm tool to my titanium milling, i was able to clear out more of the area in a faster manner, and reduce my time spent roughing and finishing by a factor of 2.

also example: by increasing my cutter velocity in the roughing stage i was able to remove material from all my plastics and enable a nicer reach for my smaller tools, to access undercuts easier and with greater accuracy.

i wouldn't say these are necessarily things that took time and effort to do, although the titanium thing was rather touch-and-go. but i wouldn't say these were things that any person was unable to do either. i'm not special here. i just pushed buttons until i understood what did what, and how to undo that. that only took time to sit down and do some math and fiddle with the software. its like playing a game, it takes time to learn how to play right, and what the rules are. eventually you get pretty good.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
[...]the titanium thing was rather touch-and-go. [...]

Touch and go "NO NOOOOOO Whoa Mule! Whoa! I said Whoa!" A few times too?
Advances cost. It's so easy to tale for granted the magic happening in all that silicon. And titanium.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
touch and go, like it started sounding not right, and when i hit the machine stop i was able to identify the reasons why it was poor sounding

Top Bottom