Framework Lab

G

guilbd1270

Reaction score
Hello… Im looking for a good Framework Lab to outsource my metal partials.. turn around less than 2weeks please. I am located in Orlando Fl. Please Pm price list and turn around time.. thanks

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Im always game for more east coast frame solutions too!

J

Jmichael

Reaction score
Good framework labs are not easy to find. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what develops...

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
Im always game for more east coast frame solutions too!
I'm also happy to help, I'm in Ohio. 8 day in-lab (sometimes 6-7),very affordable, low remake rate, superior service.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I'm also happy to help, I'm in Ohio. 8 day in-lab (sometimes 6-7),very affordable, low remake rate, superior service.
shoot me over your info, we might give you a try.

D

Davesgone

Reaction score
Can you send me info on your metal RPDs? Or website?

roque1976

roque1976

Reaction score
Hello… Im looking for a good Framework Lab to outsource my metal partials.. turn around less than 2weeks please. I am located in Orlando Fl. Please Pm price list and turn around time.. thanks
Hey I’m also looking for a frame lab in the central Florida area. Did you ever come across a good reliable one and if you could pass some some info that you received as well ?

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
sounds like a great opportunity for a specialty lab.
Trouble is if you are skilled-- the labor involved cannot sustain the market price for cast frames. Partial mills using unskilled labor keep wholesale prices down to a point you're better off working as a manager at Autozone...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Trouble is if you are skilled-- the labor involved cannot sustain the market price for cast frames. Partial mills using unskilled labor keep wholesale prices down to a point you're better off working as a manager at Autozone...
I use 3drpd which laser sinters the frames. They seem to be doing ok.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I use 3drpd which laser sinters the frames. They seem to be doing ok.
theres more than a technical hair to be split between Laser Sintering and laser assisted particulate welding-annealing

laser sintering isn't a thing

the latter is what 3drpd are doing. using a laser to weld particulates and then annealing them afterward to relieve inner tensions in the metal caused by welding heat runaway

annealing doesn't always undo warping but it can help.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
theres more than a technical hair to be split between Laser Sintering and laser assisted particulate welding-annealing

laser sintering isn't a thing

the latter is what 3drpd are doing. using a laser to weld particulates and then annealing them afterward to relieve inner tensions in the metal caused by welding heat runaway

annealing doesn't always undo warping but it can help.
It’s all voodoo magic to me but the outcome is quite nice. The fit is exceptional which I’m sure is also attributed to the IOS.
Thanks for explaining the process. I would assume there is less manual labour involved compared to the lost wax process.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you already know the print process - put the file in the print software, lead material, press print.

for metals you take the printed object, remove any sprues, and throw it in an oven to anneal for 4-6 hrs. not a hot oven, only about 400F is needed. then ship if you're 3drpd.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I am considering opening up our mill to accept RPD frames from other labs this year. it seems to be a challenge to find reputable and quality frames from a lab that has quality techs.
we would have a skilled tech in the lab designing, or loading designs into the nesting software and milling either CoCr or Ti frames.

would anyone have an interest in this option?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I am considering opening up our mill to accept RPD frames from other labs this year. it seems to be a challenge to find reputable and quality frames from a lab that has quality techs.
we would have a skilled tech in the lab designing, or loading designs into the nesting software and milling either CoCr or Ti frames.

would anyone have an interest in this option?
That seems like a lot of wear and tear on your mill for the price of a frame.?

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
As a point of reference when considering milling vs sintering:
For around 100k you can purchase your own laser sintering machine. With the cost of an oven (not a burnout furnace!) you're looking at $150k.

There is more to the annealing process than what is described above. If that is the process that works for 3DRPD that's great but it doesn't sound like the temp is hot enough to relieve stress and removing the parts from the buildplate before relieving the stress could create problems with the fitting.

A better description of the annealing process for SLM production:
Insert the production platform with the manufactured objects into a suitable oven @ 650°C. Raise the temperature to 800°C over 12 minutes and hold for 15 minutes. Reduce the temp to 550C over 15 minutes. Once 550C is reached the platform can be removed from the oven for further processing.