Fractured Bridge

• Thread starter Brett Hansen CDT
  • Start date
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
fractured bridge.JPG

I had this bridge milled at WPT in Zircad LT0. It was sent to me in the green state. We used ivoclars liquids to presinter stain it. It went in our Programmat S1 1600 on the long sintering program(9:50) that is set up for Zircad bridges. Any thoughts on how this fracture occurred? Would putting it back in the sintering oven heal this fracture?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Is it layered Brett? That seeme like an odd direction for a fracture?

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
View attachment 27803

I had this bridge milled at WPT in Zircad LT0. It was sent to me in the green state. We used ivoclars liquids to presinter stain it. It went in our Programmat S1 1600 on the long sintering program(9:50) that is set up for Zircad bridges. Any thoughts on how this fracture occurred? Would putting it back in the sintering oven heal this fracture?
Hey Brett!

Wow, that is an odd spot and direction for a fracture in full contour Zirconia. If layered, I would say non support or CTE mismatch. I don't think that is the case though.

Did you do any recontouring of the bridge before sintering, especially in that area, and what did you use? Also, how long did you dry prior to sintering?

I am in class today, but if you want to talk this afternoon (4pm ish eastern time) give me a call. Also if you want to send me the stl file, I can try milling it again for you to see what I can get out of it (if I have a thick enough disk, as it looks tall).

716-264-2148
[email protected]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
It is monolithic. I carefully and slowly used DVA's diamond ultra thin purple butterfly disc to open the embrasures on the buccal and incisal. Then I used a "brillo pad" wheel(you recommended Patrick) to smooth the surface of the bridge. The stains were applied after that and the bridge was put under a drying lamp for 15-20 minutes. After than I went in the sintering oven overnight with our other zirconia crowns.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
It is around 22mm tall presinter. I couldn't mill it in my Zenotec mini so I sent it to Wieland.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
One other question Patrick. Do I need to update the sintering programs on my S1? We got it two years ago. I assume the Zircad is the same as the Zenostar so we haven't changed any of the sintering programs it came with. Thanks1

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
It is monolithic. I carefully and slowly used DVA's diamond ultra thin purple butterfly disc to open the embrasures on the buccal and incisal. Then I used a "brillo pad" wheel(you recommended Patrick) to smooth the surface of the bridge. The stains were applied after that and the bridge was put under a drying lamp for 15-20 minutes. After than I went in the sintering oven overnight with our other zirconia crowns.

I know you probably do these on a regular basis and don't have issues, but two things in here I would change. The diamond disk for us is a big no-no. With any al ceramic restoration (pre or post sinter/crystallization/pressing) we want to stay away from causing a very shard stress point that a disk can cause. I use the side of a very long, thin, and tapered diamond bur for achieving this. That way the embrasure is more rounded at the depth of it, instead of a very fine slice. I don't think that is the problem here (though it might be) due to the direction of the crack.

The second thing ( and more likely in my mind) is your drying time. With a bridge we would recommend a minimum of 25 minutes at 140C or 270F. But with larger/thicker bridges, I would dry for an hour at those temps. With larger /thicker bridges like this, they soak up a lot of liquid and if not completely dry prior to going in the furnace, the liquid turns to steam very quickly as it heats and can cause damage.

I do have a 25mm LT0 disk and can mill/finish/color/sinter for you if you would like as well as send one to you in the pre-sintered state for you to finish. Just send me the coloring you need, along with the STL,and I'll try to copy your picture.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
One other question Patrick. Do I need to update the sintering programs on my S1? We got it two years ago. I assume the Zircad is the same as the Zenostar so we haven't changed any of the sintering programs it came with. Thanks1

If only using the LT and MT (with long programs) no. But if you start using the MT Multi, MT pre-colored, and ZirCAD pre-colored, and want to sinter in shorter times it would be beneficial to update. I've attached the new Program Structure, so you can see what is available.

Attachments

• Programat+S1+1600+-+Program+Structure.pdf
    49.4 KB · Views: 14
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I really appreciate the feedback Patrick. How can I get you the STL?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
New info: I didn't realize that this crack appeared after a wash bake was applied to the bridge and it was fired. The bridge was dried for about 35-40 minutes. We will raise that to an hour going forward.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
I really appreciate the feedback Patrick. How can I get you the STL?
It should be small enough to send via email. If not, PM me your email and I'll give you a link to my Dropbox to upload to.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
New info: I didn't realize that this crack appeared after a wash bake was applied to the bridge and it was fired. The bridge was dried for about 35-40 minutes. We will raise that to an hour going forward.
This adds another layer to the troubleshooting.

Let me loom at the STL and I may have some other recommendations.

BTW, got the file and will mill later today as I get a chance away from class.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Ill bet it was taking a disk to the embrasures..

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
I think drying time for a bridge like this should be closer to an hour.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Could be it suffered a slight bump in the green state? Ive seen a couple that weren't dropped more than 2 inches in green state that resulted in a crack after sinter.

Kam Yu

Kam Yu

Reaction score
Ive had weird cracks and i think it was from some kind of impact in green state.

Top Bottom