Formlabs 3D Printer

H

Hallam

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the new 3D Printer from Formlabs would be a possible choice for dental models? It is $3299.99 and available for delivery in May. It accepts .stl files, but not sure how it would work with a Trios/3shape/Roland set up.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
I think the build time will be sloowww and maybe not accurate enough. They dont tell you how fine the laser is from what i can see.

H

Hallam

Reaction score
Here's what they emailed me, not sure how it compares to other machines.

"3D print manufacturers often use layer thickness to define “resolution”, although any one metric provides an incomplete analysis of printer capabilities. The Form 1 can create layers as thin as 25 microns, which is much finer than other desktop machines. Another metric, the minimum feature size is 300 microns, which is limited by the diameter of the laser spot. Minimum feature size refers to the smallest possible bumps and ridges on a part. In general, the Form 1 can print a part at half the scale that an FDM machine would to achieve the same level of detail. The Form 1’s laser, however, has extremely precise movement capabilities in the X/Y plane. For example, the spot is 300 microns, but it can be moved as little as a few microns at a time, allowing for the impressive surface finish."

With this info what do you think Labwa?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
It has been proven previously that unless the laser width decreases by at least half then dental models with ridges corners or edges thinner than half a mm would be not trustworthy models. Now having said that remember that typically restorations do not have such micro data. For printing a pressable waxup this printer might do quite well but again it is highly dependent on the prep or detail level of the restoration. Will not typically be suitable for knife edge margins or poorly prepared veneers.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Like i said you may be looking at a long build time. Ask them how long it would take to build a 5x5x5 cm cube.
You think how many times the laser has to go around the pattern. 25 micron layers with a 300 micron laser thickness.
10 cycles around the cube at 300 microns to make 3mm if it does not overlap which i think it would to make sure each pass is cured to the last pass. then you have 25 micron layers. thats 2000 increments to make 5cm so we would be looking at 20,000 at least just for the walls.
Then add the top and bottom of 833 passes (25cm2 = 250,000micron2/300micron laser thickness) x each 25 micron layer so there is another 166,000 passes
So to build to cube you're looking at 20,000 + 332,000 passes = long time. depending on the speed of the motors controlling the laser or mirror.

Someone chime in here if my maths is wrong. my brain hurts.

H

Hallam

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Does not look like an option.