Formlabs 3D Printed Digital Dentures

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

The Formlabs product, marketing, and dental teams have been working for months on this release. 3D printed dentures on the Form 2 is here! The launch includes a ton of content, application guides, and a video. We have big plans for 2019 and digital dentures; webinars, live education, videos, expanded shades, and certification in more countries.

3D printed dentures are one of the first truly economical ways in which people outside of fabrication industries will come to use and interact with 3D printed parts on a day to day basis. Introducing new Digital Dentures from Formlabs, now shipping in the US.

Digital Dentures Indication page:
https://formlabs.com/industries/dental/digital-dentures/

Materials page updated:
https://formlabs.com/materials/dental/

Digital Dentures launch blog (This came out really great, worth the read):
https://formlabs.com/blog/now-shipping-accessible-3d-printed-denture-solution/

Digital Denture Application Guide:
https://formlabs.com/media/upload/digital-dentures-application-guide.pdf

Formlabs 3D Printed Digital Dentures Video:

View attachment 31696
To me “economical” was the whole story. I do not want to spend thousands of dollars to make a cheap denture. It cost less than $2 in material to make an “economy” denture with cold cure or poor material.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
To me “economical” was the whole story. I do not want to spend thousands of dollars to make a cheap denture. It cost less than $2 in material to make an “economy” denture with cold cure or poor material.
material is the cheap part. labor is the killer

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
material is the cheap part. labor is the killer
2 hrs from start to finish, about $50 in labor & material max. No software, no miss print and no cheap denture. That is my opinion.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
2 hrs from start to finish, about $50 in labor & material max. No software, no miss print and no cheap denture. That is my opinion.
$50 including denture teeth? That's cheap denture teeth.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
even dirt cheap denture teeth youre REALLY low on the overall cost side of things.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
$50 including denture teeth? That's cheap denture teeth.
Cheap teeth with 2 layers better than monolithic one color cheap printed teeth. How about German Heraeus Kulzer teeth included, does that change your mind?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Cheap teeth with 2 layers better than monolithic one color cheap printed teeth. How about German Heraeus Kulzer teeth included, does that change your mind?
nope

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I pay 65$ for a 1x6

R

Rockmuscle

Reaction score
The printed dentures of formlabs are not as strong as the regular acrylic dentures. They break more easily. Any input ? Same with the occlusal guards. The fit is better ,but the strength is just not there.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The printed dentures of formlabs are not as strong as the regular acrylic dentures. They break more easily. Any input ? Same with the occlusal guards. The fit is better ,but the strength is just not there.
Input, yes. Solution, no.

They will be weaker than poured dentures even for the time being. Nothing to be done about it but make them thicker based.

We've got a good car design and the science behind it is sound. What we don't have is a good fuel yet. So get used to the quirks for another generation or two as material science catches up.

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
Have you tried our new splint material? Dental LT Clear V2, it was released last June. In our testing it performed as well as PMMA, BIG improvement over V1 and doesn't yellow...

Dentures will get there, still pretty early days. The current material is great for certain cases and extremely economical to 3D print. I honestly think the biggest issue is impact strength, like from dropping it on a hard floor. The compressive strength is good. If I offered it as a product, as a lab, I'd defiantly have it be part of a solution where you get two sets and for about $10 to print a full denture it can still be economical.

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
I remember when I first started to sell and support the Roland DWX-50 with 3Shape. Many seasoned lab techs would tell me they can hand wax a crown in 5 mins, why would they design it in CAD and mill it. While I absolutely think there are situations where traditionally made crowns can be as economical its really the exception not the majority. We need more dental techs in the industry and the amount of dentures and crowns needed is going up, the only way to meet that demand without it going overseas is digital workflows and CAD CAM technology with young new techs on computers.

If your making a traditional denture for $50, that's fantastic. Keep an eye on this technology. It will make sense at some point, maybe not today but will eventually. Coming back to my original point. How many labs today are using milling machines today vs 2012 when the Roland DWX-50 (or VHF mini for that matter) was first getting into the market?

Top Bottom