Formlabs 3D Printed Digital Dentures

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Correct, repair is only a temporary solution to reprinting a new denture.

Technically layering composites is not indicated by the manufacturer currently. I hope testing and validating these techniques will be done by the manufacturer in the next 6 to 12 months, you can really make some stunning stuff.

Surface stain and glaze is okay in the eyes of the manufacturer. So you can get a bit more of a life like appearance using these methods. We have two techs on staff, one in Boston and another in Berlin, that are really making some great looking stuff. I'd like to make a "bench side" video explaining the process and best practices in the near future.

Thank you both for watching :)
Please do!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Ah, yes and no. When you use the base resin to lute the teeth and base together its on the part before its cured fully, so when it finally cures the two resins cures together completely. Think of it like the denture comes out of the printer being maybe (don't quote me on this) 50% cured, its super soft and easy to cut. I don't have any numbers to back me up on this logic but I would guess repairing fully cured parts would greatly reduce its strength in that area.
Gotcha,makes sense.
The biggest challenge I see is for offices to wrap their heads around reprinting a denture as opposed to repairing an existing one.

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
Gotcha,makes sense.
The biggest challenge I see is for offices to wrap their heads around reprinting a denture as opposed to repairing an existing one.
Very good point.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Gotcha,makes sense.
The desing work is done, so unless they want a change there is less time/$ going on than a new design. It's just fabrication time, so cut them a break as it's not costing you as much.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The desing work is done, so unless they want a change there is less time/$ going on than a new design. It's just fabrication time, so cut them a break as it's not costing you as much.
The break would have to be equal to the conventional repair fee. This could get tricky. What about relines which would require a new scan?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
New design. Full price.
ok but relines are not usually the same price as a new denture which I certainly wouldn't charge less for just because its printed.
I don't think we can just input the same numbers as we do in the analog world.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Staff member
Reaction score
ok but relines are not usually the same price as a new denture which I certainly wouldn't charge less for just because its printed.
Absolutely agreed.

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
3Shape has a pretty slick workflow where you can take a previously designed denture and adapt a new impression to it. A digital reline almost. The material cost for a full denture is under 10 bucks, so there could be some discounting for these second or third dentures if the design is saved.

How much do you guys charge for a reline normally?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Staff member
Reaction score
3Shape has a pretty slick workflow where you can take a previously designed denture and adapt a new impression to it. A digital reline almost. The material cost for a full denture is under 10 bucks, so there could be some discounting for these second or third dentures if the design is saved.

How much do you guys charge for a reline normally?
Depends. No implants ~ $110 with same day service, cleaned and polished

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
Depends. No implants ~ $110 with same day service, cleaned and polished

So adapting the design to a new impression/model needs to be super quick to make sense.

I would say the hands-on time to print a new denture, wash, post process, UV cure, and polish or glaze (glazing is quicker but the stuff is pretty pricey) is about 20 to 30 mins. As mentioned earlier with waste (I calculate in 20% waste, but its just a guess and I like to be conservative) its about 9-10$ in resin cost to print a new denture.

Its tight on dollars for sure.

Thanks for sharing.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

That's pretty slick. The huge advantage I see is that the patient is never without their denture.
This takes the stress off of everyone to have to do any repair the same day.

I can adjust my fees accordingly especially if I don't have to drop everything for a same day case.

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
That's pretty slick. The huge advantage I see is that the patient is never without their denture.
This takes the stress off of everyone to have to do any repair the same day.

I can adjust my fees accordingly especially if I don't have to drop everything for a same day case.

Something else I just thought of, if a dental lab holds and owns all previous designs there is a stickiness in the relationship that is nice.

Also I think I've mentioned this previously but it could allow more of a subscription based service for customers. First digital denture is, just for an example, $500, and a brand new one from that same design is $200, a new denture with reline on a new impression $300. Two sets of dentures at seating or a brand new denture made every year or two. Maybe the doc can base a program on this to get the customers butt back in the chair every 6 months for check-ins.

Mhmmm, I wonder how insurance would work on something like this...

It would be a huge shift in mindset but repeatability with low material costs really can drive some interesting changes, hopefully for the better. : )

Anyway, back to it. Have a good day everyone.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Something else I just thought of, if a dental lab holds and owns all previous designs there is a stickiness in the relationship that is nice.

Also I think I've mentioned this previously but it could allow more of a subscription based service for customers. First digital denture is, just for an example, $500, and a brand new one from that same design is $200, a new denture with reline on a new impression $300. Two sets of dentures at seating or a brand new denture made every year or two. Maybe the doc can base a program on this to get the customers butt back in the chair every 6 months for check-ins.

It would be a huge shift in mindset but repeatability with low material costs really can drive some interesting changes, hopefully for the better. : )

What's the FDA approved time for printed denture resin to be in situ? More than 6 months yet?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

It's not a bad idea but keep in mind that edentulous patients may not be the best candidates for subscriptions or routine check ups. I think we definitly have to have a plan in place prior to offering this service.

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
What's the FDA approved time for printed denture resin to be in situ? More than 6 months yet?

The resin and material is approved to use as a finished product (full denture in this case) in the mouth for more than 30 days with no mention of expiration.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
these are economy dentures to start (at best). the teeth are already designed, the base would need redesign. but overall cost is minimal compared to analog dentures.....
in other words, digital dentures like these are at a price point nearly the same as a same day reline.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

please dont share with everyone our game plan!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
these are economy dentures to start (at best). the teeth are already designed, the base would need redesign. but overall cost is minimal compared to analog dentures.....
in other words, digital dentures like these are at a price point nearly the same as a same day reline.
I'd have to sit down and decide if this is the direction I'd want to go. racing to the bottom doesn't end well for me.

Y

Yoly

Reaction score
I made a model in 3shape and I have formlabs 2 but the the builder save the files in 3ml edito and appear in grey and say configuration... sorry my English I speak spanish

Top Bottom