Formlabs 3D Printed Digital Dentures

Wainwright

Wainwright

Hello everyone!

The Formlabs product, marketing, and dental teams have been working for months on this release. 3D printed dentures on the Form 2 is here! The launch includes a ton of content, application guides, and a video. We have big plans for 2019 and digital dentures; webinars, live education, videos, expanded shades, and certification in more countries.

3D printed dentures are one of the first truly economical ways in which people outside of fabrication industries will come to use and interact with 3D printed parts on a day to day basis. Introducing new Digital Dentures from Formlabs, now shipping in the US.

Digital Dentures Indication page:
https://formlabs.com/industries/dental/digital-dentures/

Materials page updated:
https://formlabs.com/materials/dental/

Digital Dentures launch blog (This came out really great, worth the read):
https://formlabs.com/blog/now-shipping-accessible-3d-printed-denture-solution/

Digital Denture Application Guide:
https://formlabs.com/media/upload/digital-dentures-application-guide.pdf

Formlabs 3D Printed Digital Dentures Video:

formlabsdigitaldenture sm.jpg

Wainwright

Wainwright

How do they do on a drop test?
Really well if the base is 2 mm+ in thickness, we had some early testing with very thin bases that didn't hold up in certain tests. Page 6 of the application guide goes into a bit more detail: Link

Pretty much the thicker the better but these denture resins are quite strong.

We are working on a batch of denture samples if you or anyone would like to test their concrete floors. : ) DM me if interested, it might take me a week or two but I'll put in the request.

This reminds me a few years ago we had a 1/2 to 3/4 inch diameter sphere of sintered and polished zirconia and tried to break it. We threw the ball as hard as we could from 20 feet up down to concrete and could not scratch or dent it, I was blown away. Not claiming this material is that strong, but that was a good memory at CAP. :D

• Funny
Reactions: JMN
Wainwright

Wainwright

I hear Sam's office has a window.
Haha. Oh, we have the modern "open office" floor plan (very love-hate with this type of layout),I wish I had an office. Although I am one desk away from a window which is prettttty nice. I didn't have a window for the past nine years. : )

Wainwright

Wainwright

Thanks, everyone for checking it out. Its been a ton of work over the past 4ish months. BeerCheers

JayH

JayH

Geek
Is Formlabs making their own material? Or are they buying from someone else (Dentca? / NextDent? / Dreve? ...) and re-branding?

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Is Formlabs making their own material? Or are they buying from someone else (Dentca? / NextDent? / Dreve? ...) and re-branding?
I've heard NexDent pretty much makes all the materials and companies re-label them Hmmmm2

Wainwright

Wainwright

It's DENTCA.

We do manufacture our own materials just no biocompatible resins.

S

sensei

I enjoyed your webinar today. Thanks for hosting that. Do you have any users working with exocad.? I'm on board IF the exocad denture module will work just as smoothly as 3 shape. I don't want to shell out for the module only to find it won't work.

Affinity

Affinity

Who determines if a resin is biocompatible? the FDA? :rolleyes:

JayH

JayH

Geek
Remember the conversation about lab-manufactured abutments that weren't FDA compliant devices a few years ago? It wasn't because they weren't being made from Grade 5 Titanium...

Affinity

Affinity

I just had a patient come in yesterday with 2 implant dentures that came after a drunk driver hit her head on, killing her friend and her airbag didnt deploy. Short story is, she had the implants done by a reputable surgeon, and her body is rejecting them. Not just the dental implants (which she pulled out by hand) have redness and swelling, the plates in her arms and legs have rashes over them. Shes trying to find out if shes allergic to this FDA cleared material, but apparently theres only 2 testing places in the country to be tested for TI allergy, else you have to go to Germany. Maybe PEEK implants? Zr?

• Informative
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

I just had a patient come in yesterday with 2 implant dentures that came after a drunk driver hit her head on, killing her friend and her airbag didnt deploy. Short story is, she had the implants done by a reputable surgeon, and her body is rejecting them. Not just the dental implants (which she pulled out by hand) have redness and swelling, the plates in her arms and legs have rashes over them. Shes trying to find out if shes allergic to this FDA cleared material, but apparently theres only 2 testing places in the country to be tested for TI allergy, else you have to go to Germany. Maybe PEEK implants? Zr?
yikes! keep us posted as to the outcome. this is unusual for sure

• Agree
Affinity

Affinity

Yeah, Ive never heard of it, it actually wasnt a patient, she stopped by for something else and we got to talking teeth.. I gave her my card and said Id do anything I can to help her... :confused:

kcdt

kcdt

Really well if the base is 2 mm+ in thickness, we had some early testing with very thin bases that didn't hold up in certain tests. Page 6 of the application guide goes into a bit more detail: Link

Pretty much the thicker the better but these denture resins are quite strong.

We are working on a batch of denture samples if you or anyone would like to test their concrete floors. : ) DM me if interested, it might take me a week or two but I'll put in the request.

This reminds me a few years ago we had a 1/2 to 3/4 inch diameter sphere of sintered and polished zirconia and tried to break it. We threw the ball as hard as we could from 20 feet up down to concrete and could not scratch or dent it, I was blown away. Not claiming this material is that strong, but that was a good memory at CAP. :D
TBH, testing a spherical object as a test of a material that won't ever be rendered in that shape at those thicknesses isn't a test you can extrapolate ANY end use besides a sphere.

Guest Room
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    Room has been pruned!
    Chat Bot: Room has been pruned!
    Top Bottom