FormLab Form 2 vs. Asiga Max

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
So, besides the rather big discrepancy in cost, what is the difference in these two printers.

I want to use it for C&B, mainly. Also for digitally generated wax-up printouts (models).

Is there an other alternative?

Thanks in advance,

M

G

grantoz

Reaction score
ive heard good things about the asiga its faster bigger print area and more reliable i think the liquids ARE CHEAPER ALSO. sorry caps button got stuck

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
I have an Asiga Max. If you are wanting to print your C&B (which is what I do. I print all of our wax-ups),I would hands-down go with an Asiga. I wouldn't trust a Form2. They're just not as accurate and efficient (Hence the price gap). I think they're decent for printing models, but they don't even advertise them for printing C&B (at least, that was the case back in March). The Max was specifically engineered for commercial use, and dental labs in particular. With our Asiga Max, I never have any issues whatsoever. No failed prints, no hiccups. The resin is inexpensive, and you can use resin from third parties as well. If you'd feel like talking about the Max, send me a message and I'll give you my number. I highly recommend you stay away from the Form2 for your C&B. You're going to have a lot of headaches. And Envisiontech? Who's that? I can't possibly recommend Asiga enough, and I'm not a salesperson. I just love their product.

As for technical specs, the Form2 is an SLA laser, and the Asiga is DLP. Basically, the Form2 has a UV laser that has to hit every single point on a layer individually. Whereas the Max uses a digital UV projector, which prints the entire layer at once. This results in more accurate and much faster prints.

Last edited:
Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
What’s the price difference ? Great thead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
What’s the price difference ?

Not sure about the FormLab, but I think it is in the $3'500 region. The Asiga Max Is about $14'000.

So, quite a difference...

M

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
Formlabs in Canada was about 6k with the starter kit and warranty. I wonder if the Asiga would be almost 20k , which is still cheaper than the Bego printer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
There's quite a leap in price, but there's also quite a leap in quality and the engineering behind the printer.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
I have an Asiga Max. If you are wanting to print your C&B (which is what I do. I print all of our wax-ups),I would hands-down go with an Asiga. I wouldn't trust a Form2. They're just not as accurate and efficient (Hence the price gap). I think they're decent for printing models, but they don't even advertise them for printing C&B (at least, that was the case back in March). The Max was specifically engineered for commercial use, and dental labs in particular. With our Asiga Max, I never have any issues whatsoever. No failed prints, no hiccups. The resin is inexpensive, and you can use resin from third parties as well. If you'd feel like talking about the Max, send me a message and I'll give you my number. I highly recommend you stay away from the Form2 for your C&B. You're going to have a lot of headaches. And Envisiontech? Who's that? I can't possibly recommend Asiga enough, and I'm not a salesperson. I just love their product.

As for technical specs, the Form2 is an SLA laser, and the Asiga is DLP. Basically, the Form2 has a UV laser that has to hit every single point on a layer individually. Whereas the Max uses a digital UV projector, which prints the entire layer at once. This results in more accurate and much faster prints.

can confirm. formlabs has been very unreliable for us so far. wouldn't recommend for models even, much less C&B.

Robeau

Robeau

Reaction score

Thank you for your input. We are needing to to get a printer within the next few weeks. Would like to discuss further with you when you get a chance.

kristian

kristian

Reaction score
Form2 success is, to some extent, a lottery. I have one that's producing very good dies, but accuracy falls off to unacceptable on models. I've heard from many who struggle with everything they try to make. And I know some have success with their models too.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Printing dies and models and expecting the same shrinkage on both is not a good expectation to have. The bigger the parts get the more they shrink. Unfortunately it's a matter of scaling depending on model vs die. The best solution would probably be to print a tray of dies with no scaling then a tray of models with positive scaling to compensate shrinkage. Arches will shrink more at the heel in laid flat. Printing upright may help. Word of warning. Don't take the companies word for accuracy. And don't be fooled. The accuracy will change with most technology out there.

E

exo

Reaction score
Most problems with inaccuray on Form2 are software issuses.
Print a testfile directly on the plate one time with Model V1 and one time with Model V2. You'll measure a difference of about 0.2 mm on X-Y-axis by using a brandnew resin tank.
For high accuray models you always have to use Model V2 and the LT resin tank.
For parallel dies (exocad model Maker) there's no way to print exactly with Model V1.
But you can use Model V1 as V2 for perfect results.