• Welcome to Dental Lab Network

FormLab Form 2 vs. Asiga Max

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Contraluz, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Contraluz

Contraluz Well-Known Member Full Member

So, besides the rather big discrepancy in cost, what is the difference in these two printers.

I want to use it for C&B, mainly. Also for digitally generated wax-up printouts (models).

Is there an other alternative?

Thanks in advance,

M

2. grantoz
      Amused

grantoz Well-Known Member Full Member

ive heard good things about the asiga its faster bigger print area and more reliable i think the liquids ARE CHEAPER ALSO. sorry caps button got stuck

• Like Like x 1
    3. Bryce Hiller
      Blah

Bryce Hiller Active Member Full Member

I have an Asiga Max. If you are wanting to print your C&B (which is what I do. I print all of our wax-ups), I would hands-down go with an Asiga. I wouldn't trust a Form2. They're just not as accurate and efficient (Hence the price gap). I think they're decent for printing models, but they don't even advertise them for printing C&B (at least, that was the case back in March). The Max was specifically engineered for commercial use, and dental labs in particular. With our Asiga Max, I never have any issues whatsoever. No failed prints, no hiccups. The resin is inexpensive, and you can use resin from third parties as well. If you'd feel like talking about the Max, send me a message and I'll give you my number. I highly recommend you stay away from the Form2 for your C&B. You're going to have a lot of headaches. And Envisiontech? Who's that? I can't possibly recommend Asiga enough, and I'm not a salesperson. I just love their product.

As for technical specs, the Form2 is an SLA laser, and the Asiga is DLP. Basically, the Form2 has a UV laser that has to hit every single point on a layer individually. Whereas the Max uses a digital UV projector, which prints the entire layer at once. This results in more accurate and much faster prints.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
      • Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    4. Contraluz

Thank you, Bryce, for your detailed answer. I will shoot you a message, later to day.

M

• Like Like x 1
    5. Polarmolar

Polarmolar Active Member Full Member

What’s the price difference ? Great thead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Contraluz

Not sure about the FormLab, but I think it is in the $3'500 region. The Asiga Max Is about $14'000.

So, quite a difference...

M

7. Polarmolar

Polarmolar Active Member Full Member

Formlabs in Canada was about 6k with the starter kit and warranty. I wonder if the Asiga would be almost 20k , which is still cheaper than the Bego printer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Bryce Hiller
      Blah

Bryce Hiller Active Member Full Member

There's quite a leap in price, but there's also quite a leap in quality and the engineering behind the printer.

• Like Like x 1
    9. harmonylab

harmonylab Active Member Full Member

can confirm. formlabs has been very unreliable for us so far. wouldn't recommend for models even, much less C&B.

10. Robeau
      Busy

Robeau Member Full Member

Thank you for your input. We are needing to to get a printer within the next few weeks. Would like to discuss further with you when you get a chance.

• Like Like x 2
    11. kristian
      Goofy

kristian Active Member Full Member

Form2 success is, to some extent, a lottery. I have one that's producing very good dies, but accuracy falls off to unacceptable on models. I've heard from many who struggle with everything they try to make. And I know some have success with their models too.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. rkm rdt

rkm rdt Well-Known Member Full Member

Joining the Formlabs page on facebook has convinced me that I should look elsewhere .

• Informative Informative x 3
    13. Labwa
      Breezy

Labwa Active Member Full Member

Printing dies and models and expecting the same shrinkage on both is not a good expectation to have. The bigger the parts get the more they shrink. Unfortunately it's a matter of scaling depending on model vs die. The best solution would probably be to print a tray of dies with no scaling then a tray of models with positive scaling to compensate shrinkage. Arches will shrink more at the heel in laid flat. Printing upright may help. Word of warning. Don't take the companies word for accuracy. And don't be fooled. The accuracy will change with most technology out there.

• Like Like x 2