Form 2 to print aligner set ups?

O

orthoace

Reaction score
Hi

I'm interested in getting into doing digital aligner setups so need to buy 3D printer.

Does anybody have experience using form labs (form 2) printer for aligner setups. Are they as dimensionally accurate as pouring stone models ( using ideal stone;water mixing ratio)

Thanks,

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
are you looking to print the aligner? or printing the model to suck down over the aligner?

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
To print the models, it works great. The only downside is that you are limited by the build tray so you can maybe fit 2-4 arches on the tray at any given time, and a print like that can take anywhere from 2-6 hours depending on the positioning of the models. Unless you get a more than one formlab (Which considering its price is very plausible) its not super viable for volume, in my opinion.

That being said considering that your alternative for printers with bigger volume are extremely expensive, you can buy 10 Form2 printers for a fraction of the price and that would alleviate the volume issue. It does just eat up more bench space and a little more effort in terms of organization and material stock.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Hi

I'm interested in getting into doing digital aligner setups so need to buy 3D printer.

Does anybody have experience using form labs (form 2) printer for aligner setups. Are they as dimensionally accurate as pouring stone models ( using ideal stone;water mixing ratio)

Thanks,

Yes they work great. I print the models and form over the top.

I can easily get 12 models on to the build plate after I have digitally trimmed the model.

When I started I used supports, but once you get a little experience you realise you don't need them on most cases. This speeds up the print and saves resin.

The pics show some cases I have done with and without supports. The pic where the margins look very un defined, it's just pooled resin that has not been removed yet.

Printed models no support.jpg Printed models supports.jpg

Export your stl's to model builder, trim, add name and save. Open edited model in Pre-Form and print.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
not a fan of printing on struts, we print flat to the plate. I can fit about 6 like that and i don't have to waste time / resin on the supports. Using 4 form2's it's been a dream. Just make sure wherever you print that there is good ventilation. One printer didn't give off much of a smell, but 2-4 started to give ppl headaches whoever was near it.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Has anyone actually worn a mouthguard made from a form2 printed model? I mean in their own mouth. Just curious?

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I recently attended a meeting in which Formlabs had displayed really interesting next-generation solutions. They had a large glass booth, the Form Cell, measuring about four feet deep, ten feet long and about six and a half feet tall on display. Inside the UV protected glass booth was where it was all happening.

For starters, there were 5 Form 2 printers lined up in the Form Cell (photos 1 & 2) and also the new Form Wash. I was expecting there to be a Form Cure next to the Form Wash, but this was not displayed. Also contained in the booth was a robotic (3rd photo) arm . The arm takes new build plates from a rack system and places them into one of the 5 desired printers. The robot also removed finished build plates from the printer and placed them into the Form Wash. Once clean, the build plate is then moved by the robot and placed back in the rack system (last photo) that holds about 40 build plates. The rack system is opened and accessible from the back of the booth.

The Form booth has huge potential for a much more automated 3D printing operation. The display had 5 printers and I see no reason this could not accommodate more. The product is about a year away from mass distribution, but I was informed that as displayed, it would likely cost less than what we were paying for a single 3D model printer just a couple of years ago. Simply amazing…

Attachments

• IMG_7492 (1).JPG
    IMG_7492 (1).JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7499 (1).JPG
    IMG_7499 (1).JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7496 (1).JPG
    IMG_7496 (1).JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7506 (2).JPG
    IMG_7506 (2).JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 45
eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Has anyone actually worn a mouthguard made from a form2 printed model? I mean in their own mouth. Just curious?

Actually I have. Fit was pretty spot on. I think there is a propensity to not follow Manufacturer instructions with the form because I spent some time up in Somerville with them and I really believe they have a decent solution.

G

GarryB

Reaction score

Yes, and an Essix retainer and a Michigan splint. Great fits on all of them.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
truth be told, there is a lot that can be wrong when printed on the Form. - understanding them and avoiding them is key to maximizing. As i said, it's the best bang for the buck by a LONG shot - but this is no different from us learning to stop spraying models and using CAD Scan Stone way back right?

No different from understanding what the microns actually mean (for those that don't - imagine a good ol Wax up, bead by bead. The 25-50-100 micron terms are equal to the "bead of wax size" - it has nothing to do with Accuracy other than the fact that maybe you have a point on the STL that is less than 50 microns, so a 25 micron point would hit the details that a 50 micron dot would not)

Actually if you read Bunnie's post on the Form 2 - you'll notice he praises their custom Galvanometer design and other things like how they control resin height and maintain temperature.

For what the labs are using it for currently (not for ALL uses - just most uses) - i have to say the Form is a pretty good buy. Let's keep in mind that this was around the same price as the DP1200 right? ;)

O

orthoace

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies and pictures, the info was exactly what I was looking for!