Flippers and Repairs

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I am a model saver and use a 5 gal bucket for my model graveyard. Kinda nice as the most recent models are always on top and if I have an older case I know how far to dig sometimes. I always return all working models to the doc but sometimes dup and save myself if I think there is going to be a pissing match.... "We threw the models out" doesn't fly here.... And I mostly know who and what cases could be notso great.
Lol, model graveyard. I don't have a single model not use. When case is sent back they know it is everything I had on them. If they have a problem they can send me what is needed to fix said problem.

O

Old School Dentures

Reaction score
My perspective is from primarily same day returns for 1-3 teeth, relines and repairs.

Mount for any case that involves adding or changing teeth when the DDS provides opposing.
The bite is ground in to any new teeth, they should take less than 15 minutes to see the patient for delivery. This is for add a tooth and new immed rpd prosthetic.
Duplicate any case that I have time to do it, always for greater than 3 teeth. 4 teeth and more always get duplicated. You usually will deface the model somehow.
Add a clasp I prefer to mount so I can see the interplay between the antagonists, sometimes there is a bite gap and I'll do a transocclusal ball clasp, keeping it out of occlusion, if there is supereruption or other issue..Again, depends on what is sent.

Repairs of fractures, it comes down to what time the dentist is willing to put into it. Most will send just broken pieces, rarely they will tack them together and pickup impress, some will take an impression without the prosthetic. Frankly, I prefer they don't tack and impress, it is too technique sensitive to do both rapidly and accurately in most offices.

I'm not a speed champion by any means. I do however make sure I give the best result possible with what I was provided. So it really comes down to what was provided.
Sometimes an add tooth and clasp comes with just a pickup impression of the working side. Sometimes I get more. Just depends on the doc's style and whether they prefer to put work in front of or at delivery.

Mounting is built in to the fee schedule for complex repairs, adding teeth and adding clasps. Duplicating is built in for immed RPDs.
Duplicating fracture repair models is not something I do regularly, but it has utility and value.

And I totally agree with RKM, ask them when you return. They may be trying to do the best possible work, which is a pretty awesome problem to have.

Completely agree! Sounds like a good tech... Depends on bite and which teeth are being added for a repair, but if I feel I won't be left with a model to finish on I will make a duplicate, but not often unless its a huge repair. On new flippers generally anything over 3 teeth i will dup and invest, tooth location plays a part too, if I'm doing teeth next to one another i.e #7 and 8 i usually won't dup and do the flipper on the original , if Im doing teeth on opposite sides of the arch with clasps etc..I always dup and invest. It makes for a better partial

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Completely agree! Sounds like a good tech... Depends on bite and which teeth are being added for a repair, but if I feel I won't be left with a model to finish on I will make a duplicate, but not often unless its a huge repair. On new flippers generally anything over 3 teeth i will dup and invest, tooth location plays a part too, if I'm doing teeth next to one another i.e #7 and 8 i usually won't dup and do the flipper on the original , if Im doing teeth on opposite sides of the arch with clasps etc..I always dup and invest. It makes for a better partial
Thanks.

Tooth location plays a definite part in any fabrication, addition, or repair. For some reason some still wonder why I ask what's the nearest tooth when they ask for a same day return on add a tooth... So now I just say I'll let you know when I get there...

Got a little mutual admiration society goin' on here. :)

Welcome Back Earthling! Been a while!

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
You can dup, if you don't block out undercuts. However, in that circumstance, I tend to block out and eliminate dup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I'm not a tech and I've not had others who did this in our lab but doesn't mean they were right.

I have a new tech who always wants to make a duplicate model for cold cure 1-4 teeth flippers and mount them. Mounting makes sense but not sure the dup is needed? Anyone else duplicating for flippers?

And also wants to mount every denture repair, assuming it's even possible. Seems to make sense but doubt you'd ever get a bite from a doc on a repair or an opposing model.

Curious what others are doing.

Thank you.
On the flippers? Absolutely. Without a dupe you can't predictably finish to a path of insertion. It's all about chair time, plus a Blackdoor is always a good idea.
As for the denture; if the repair involves teeth/occlusion, yes. A clean fracture, not really.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I am a model saver and use a 5 gal bucket for my model graveyard. Kinda nice as the most recent models are always on top and if I have an older case I know how far to dig sometimes. I always return all working models to the doc but sometimes dup and save myself if I think there is going to be a pissing match.... "We threw the models out" doesn't fly here.... And I mostly know who and what cases could be notso great.
I hope we don't see you you in an episode of hoarders.
But I do note your point about certain clients and their ego bull****

K

keroassidy

Reaction score
Always dup. Cant imagine sending a 2 tooth flipper were doc has to spent half hour adjusting path of insertion to fit. Spend the time. Dup .process . Fit. As for mounting?
Does one not own one of these irreplaceable beauties?

Attachments

• Plasterless_Artic.jpg
    Plasterless_Artic.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 17
JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Always dup. Cant imagine sending a 2 tooth flipper were doc has to spent half hour adjusting path of insertion to fit. Spend the time. Dup .process . Fit. As for mounting?
Does one not own one of these irreplaceable beauties?
I broke mine hated it the entire time I used it as well. Nothing would ever stay still, tightened it to death with pliers it all fell apart.

K

keroassidy

Reaction score
I broke mine hated it the entire time I used it as well. Nothing would ever stay still, tightened it to death with pliers it all fell apart.

Hahah they can be a bear to get to work. I have many little blocks of wood i use one the models to help with retention.

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
I'm an In-house technician, I always duplicate models on flippers. I know what a PITA trying to adjust a flipper's path of insertion at delivery is, because Dr says "Here adjust this". A lot of times the flipper is Gratuitous to an implant case, so if the flipper doesn't drop in, it both costs the Dr. chairside time on an prosthesis they are not charging for or charging little and it plants the idea in the Patient's mind that the procedeure is going to be problematic and making them hyper-critical.

I also press-pack almost all of them and the vast majority is made with heat-cured acrylic, much less drama in my life that way.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I'm an In-house technician, I always duplicate models on flippers. I know what a PITA trying to adjust a flipper's path of insertion at delivery is, because Dr says "Here adjust this". A lot of times the flipper is Gratuitous to an implant case, so if the flipper doesn't drop in, it both costs the Dr. chairside time on an prosthesis they are not charging for or charging little and it plants the idea in the Patient's mind that the procedeure is going to be problematic and making them hyper-critical.

I also press-pack almost all of them and the vast majority is made with heat-cured acrylic, much less drama in my life that way.
Success here is measured in chairtime, because it so costly ($5/min).
The cost of a dupe is insignificant compared to that.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Lately I have tried somethi8ng a bit different. I have been grinding the intaglio out to make room for some chairside soft liner....Seems to work quite well...

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
Success here is measured in chairtime, because it so costly ($5/min).
The cost of a dupe is insignificant compared to that.
My gut says that's a lowball figure

Top Bottom