Flippers and Repairs

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
I'm not a tech and I've not had others who did this in our lab but doesn't mean they were right.

I have a new tech who always wants to make a duplicate model for cold cure 1-4 teeth flippers and mount them. Mounting makes sense but not sure the dup is needed? Anyone else duplicating for flippers?

And also wants to mount every denture repair, assuming it's even possible. Seems to make sense but doubt you'd ever get a bite from a doc on a repair or an opposing model.

Curious what others are doing.

Thank you.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Why don't you ask him/her? You might learn why.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We don't all think the same way.
Therefore we approach and solve problems differently.

This tech seems more concerned about doing things right than doing it fast.
They want to make sure they have the original model in case anything goes wrong. They prefer a safety net.

You have one shot at getting it right when you work off the original model.
If you have many years of experience ,then you probably can do it no problem.

however to gain that experience, you have to break a few eggs.

That never sits well with the bean counter in the office with the glass partition.

corona

corona

Reaction score
why are you not a tech ? what is your job description there ?

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I don't always mount if it's only one or two teeth. I do get a duplicate model so after processing I can seat the case on the master, so the Dr has less adjusting
time. The only time I don't get a duplicate is if it's a super rush due back that day or the next, but then I let the Dr know that they'll have more adjusting to do to seat the case in the mouth.

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
I don't always mount if it's only one or two teeth. I do get a duplicate model so after processing I can seat the case on the master, so the Dr has less adjusting
time. The only time I don't get a duplicate is if it's a super rush due back that day or the next, but then I let the Dr know that they'll have more adjusting to do to seat the case in the mouth.

When you say "processing", you are just cold-curing 1-2 teeth flippers right?

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score

Do you ever mount for repairs?

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
When you say "processing", you are just cold-curing 1-2 teeth flippers right?
If it's a rush due that day or the next, otherwise we pack and heat cure them overnight.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
What do you charge if you don't mind me asking?
We charge for the tooth, a 1-7 tooth set up, process & finish and processing model (the duplicate). If it was mounted we also charge for the articulation.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
We charge for the tooth, a 1-7 tooth set up, process & finish and processing model (the duplicate). If it was mounted we also charge for the articulation.
wow, the client base here would never pay for a repair like that. simple repair or complex repair is it. unless im replacing a quadrant of teeth, we almost never mount. if we do, its a complex. we also work off the master cast. its never been destroyed beyond use with any repair ive ever done (and im not a denture or repair tech).
not to mention, theres never enough time for repairs. in the door by 10am, out the door by 2pm. plus all the other duties of the day.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
My perspective is from primarily same day returns for 1-3 teeth, relines and repairs.

Mount for any case that involves adding or changing teeth when the DDS provides opposing.
The bite is ground in to any new teeth, they should take less than 15 minutes to see the patient for delivery. This is for add a tooth and new immed rpd prosthetic.
Duplicate any case that I have time to do it, always for greater than 3 teeth. 4 teeth and more always get duplicated. You usually will deface the model somehow.
Add a clasp I prefer to mount so I can see the interplay between the antagonists, sometimes there is a bite gap and I'll do a transocclusal ball clasp, keeping it out of occlusion, if there is supereruption or other issue..Again, depends on what is sent.

Repairs of fractures, it comes down to what time the dentist is willing to put into it. Most will send just broken pieces, rarely they will tack them together and pickup impress, some will take an impression without the prosthetic. Frankly, I prefer they don't tack and impress, it is too technique sensitive to do both rapidly and accurately in most offices.

I'm not a speed champion by any means. I do however make sure I give the best result possible with what I was provided. So it really comes down to what was provided.
Sometimes an add tooth and clasp comes with just a pickup impression of the working side. Sometimes I get more. Just depends on the doc's style and whether they prefer to put work in front of or at delivery.

Mounting is built in to the fee schedule for complex repairs, adding teeth and adding clasps. Duplicating is built in for immed RPDs.
Duplicating fracture repair models is not something I do regularly, but it has utility and value.

And I totally agree with RKM, ask them when you return. They may be trying to do the best possible work, which is a pretty awesome problem to have.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
wow, the client base here would never pay for a repair like that. simple repair or complex repair is it. unless im replacing a quadrant of teeth, we almost never mount. if we do, its a complex. we also work off the master cast. its never been destroyed beyond use with any repair ive ever done (and im not a denture or repair tech).
not to mention, theres never enough time for repairs. in the door by 10am, out the door by 2pm. plus all the other duties of the day.
That isn't for a repair, it's for a flipper.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
That isn't for a repair, it's for a flipper.
ah ok, well thats different. reading through the thread in order it looked like you were referring to repairs! haha.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
I'm not a tech and I've not had others who did this in our lab but doesn't mean they were right.

I have a new tech who always wants to make a duplicate model for cold cure 1-4 teeth flippers and mount them. Mounting makes sense but not sure the dup is needed? Anyone else duplicating for flippers?

And also wants to mount every denture repair, assuming it's even possible. Seems to make sense but doubt you'd ever get a bite from a doc on a repair or an opposing model.

Curious what others are doing.

Thank you.

Sounds like a tech that cares about the work he/she is producing.

We always dup models for any partial. Fabricate on the dup, seat and return on the original. The time/cost it takes to make a dup is well worth the benefits IMO. You have a backup model in case something goes wrong, most of the time I think you can return a partial that is better adjusted and takes less time to seat, and in the event the doctor claims it doesn't fit you can always fall back on that it fit the original model.

As far as mounting the case, anything above 2 teeth we always mount less we usually don't unless we feel we need to.

Repairs are only mounting if needed and very rarely require a dup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N

nickate

Reaction score
sorry.

Last edited:
N

nickate

Reaction score
I am a model saver and use a 5 gal bucket for my model graveyard. Kinda nice as the most recent models are always on top and if I have an older case I know how far to dig sometimes. I always return all working models to the doc but sometimes dup and save myself if I think there is going to be a pissing match.... "We threw the models out" doesn't fly here.... And I mostly know who and what cases could be notso great.