Flexible partial: How would you clasp this case?

T

Thomas H

Reaction score
It is for teeth #5 and #9. For retention, what would you recommend clasping? I have many ideas, but don't know what the best would be.

[I took a picture, but don't know how you upload it. I think you guys could visualize it well enough.]

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
It is for teeth #5 and #9. For retention, what would you recommend clasping? I have many ideas, but don't know what the best would be.

[I took a picture, but don't know how you upload it. I think you guys could visualize it well enough.]
Greetings Earthling! Welcome!

You can link pictures from outside, but cannot upload till you've passed 5 posts. Which also unlocks PM "Conversation" starting ability.

As a pure guess: Last posterior on both sides, and #6 as well would be my guess assuming the opposing teeth are all there and you cannot do anything transoclussal.
There's not a lot more options unless you are going to clasp 10 or 8.

Without knowing at a minimum what other teeth are extant, what the occlusal relationship is like and a host of things we all get awareness of automatically from just looking at the models there's no good way to guess what would be ideal. Everything can change based on the health of the remaining teeth.

T

Thomas H

Reaction score
Do you think clasping #6 from the distal and #4 from the mesial would be enough?

Would clasping #8 and #10 too be problematic? Could that help keep the tooth in better because there is more flexible material there?

T

Thomas H

Reaction score
Sorry, accidently sent it with out writing anything. The posterior teeth (distal of #4 which is the patients last tooth on the right side, and #15) are distorted in the impression.

T

Thomas H

Reaction score
Talking to my more experienced coworker, he says maybe the best thing would be clasping #4, #6, and #9. Any suggestions? He has 30+ experience in the removable industry, but has been only been using the flexible material as long as I have, just about 3 years. Thank you all for the feed back!

T

Thomas H

Reaction score
Talking to my more experienced coworker, he says maybe the best thing would be clasping #4, #6, and #9. Any suggestions? He has 30+ experience in the removable industry, but has been only been using the flexible material as long as I have, just about 3 years. Thank you all for the feed back!
Sorry, I mean clasp #10.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
yyyeeeee

Clasp 4 from the mesial, 6 from the distal, 8 and or 10 whichever you can get away with. ONE of 8 or 10 needs to be clasped at minmum, get them to make the call so it's not your fault the patient doesn't like the result.
OR
Tell them to take a better impression so you can get to the back of 15.

Offering options makes them feel empowered instead of cornered by their errors.

T

Thomas H

Reaction score
yyyeeeee

Clasp 4 from the mesial, 6 from the distal, 8 and or 10 whichever you can get away with. ONE of 8 or 10 needs to be clasped at minmum, get them to make the call so it's not your fault the patient doesn't like the result.
OR
Tell them to take a better impression so you can get to the back of 15.

Offering options makes them feel empowered instead of cornered by their errors.
Thanks!

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Probably be too late, but if just those 2 teeth, tell them to save their money and get a flipper. It'll last longer than a traditional flexible and fit better.The impression is crap. #9 will eventually peel out,so prepare for repair.

T

Thomas H

Reaction score
Probably be too late, but if just those 2 teeth, tell them to save their money and get a flipper. It'll last longer than a traditional flexible and fit better.The impression is crap. #9 will eventually peel out,so prepare for repair.
Thanks for the input.