First Mill. Ceramill Mikro 5x vs Roland 51D?

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
Pros/cons of each? Our first mill, looking for info. Thanks!

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
I'm looking right now and the one thing i'm not crazy about with the Micro is the yearly fee of $1500 for four years for the Ceramill mind software . It really is a beautiful little fast mill . I don't know the fee for Millbox with the Roland . That's what I like about Wieland ,no fees . I know for the large labs it's not a factor but for us little guys we have to consider stuff like this.

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
What digital materials do you plan to mill, # of units and complexity of cases produced digitally? Exciting times for you!
We mill primarily katana STML and plain 'ole Bruxzir. Approx 150 units per month, anything from singles to 6+ unit bridges.

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
Also considering the Roland DWX-52DC

user name

user name

Reaction score
I partnered with Jensen and have a couple m200. I know...only 4 axis :rolleyes: Ive done plenty of big complex cases with great success. Only on a few occasions Ive had to add some 'hand work' to cover for that missing extra axis.
Things have been very profitable and I in no way feel Im at a disadvantage with my stuff. That said, next mill will be a 5 axis. Ill either go with the Jensen team or a versamill 5X400 from Axsys.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Neither! Check out the new DOF mill!

Jesse Zamarripa

Jesse Zamarripa

Reaction score
so much empty :(

Mikro 5x is the way to go. It is faster than the roland and more dependable over time. The 51d is a serviceable mill and you can get good results with it. The problem with the 51d is that you have to use an outside CAM software and depending on what distributor you go with for the whole package you will have varying results. The Mikro 5x uses the AG branded CAN software that is tailored to the Mikro 5X. You will use AG tools and vacuum so all products are controlled by one company which can help you with tech support, less variables. There are 3 distributors, US (Esthetic Professionals),Zahn and Benco. All companies have the AG promotion for a free zirconia furnace right now. If you have any questions please DM

Jesse Zamarripa

Jesse Zamarripa

Reaction score
DOF is another good mill too

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
It has an electric spindle, self contained air, touch screen display, cuts ti preforms, wet option for emax, hyperdent etc... For not much more than you would spend on those other two options. Although my second choice wouldnt be a mikro, I can say that my AG mill is excellent, the new ones Im not so sure of..

Jesse Zamarripa

Jesse Zamarripa

Reaction score
What does it have that the others don't?

The new DOF Mill-

• 5 Axis Wet/Dry
  • Zirconia, Wax, PMMA, Glass Ceramics and Titanium Abutments (Pre-formed)
  • Internal compressor, vacuum and coolant system
  • Hyperdent CAM Software
  • Stands on a cart, about 4.5 feet tall
  • 110V connection, no other external requirements
DM if you want more info

Jesse

James Babbi

James Babbi

Reaction score
The Roland mills are easier to maintain and calibrate, and easier to service, if needed. Also, if you can stretch your budget a little, the DWX-52DC would payoff quicker, as it can be running when the lab is closed. Of course the AG distributors will promote the brand as better, but you can check with Zahn (that sells both),and get a fair comparison.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
How does the VHF K5 compare to the Roland and the DOF mills?

B

bigbrush

Reaction score
I would prefer vhf K5. Use it for over one year without any problems :).
Is my second mill first was K4 / Mini wich is a workhorse.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Your first mill- pretty exciting times. Congratulations and welcome to the jungle!

I highly recommend you spend some serious time reviewing the web pages below and ask the suppliers of any mill you are considering some very serious questions around the content presented there and their ability to support you from not only a machine hardware standpoint but also CAD and CAM Software and template debugging/development standpoint.

A truism that I have learned from my 40-years experience in digital manufacturing (in both the dental and industrial world),and that the companies I have helped in that time have learned - many the hard way:

It is extremely important for labs and milling centers to educate themselves on the technology available, find the solution that can do the most for them - short and long term - and not base a decision on initial cost alone. The pains of a system that may have cost a few dollars less or seemed easier to use in the beginning far outlast those associated with the initial incremental cost or slightly extended learning curve of a truly superior solution.

Useful links:
1. https://www.axsysdental.com/UniqueSolution.html#fourkeyelements
2. https://www.axsysdental.com/documents/Selecting a Dental Machining Center Release.pdf

J

Joseph Sipes

Reaction score
Hello! New member here, and future lab owner as well. I am currently posed with same question, however we are between DWX-52DC and the CeraMill motion 2 mill currently. Our lab has not officially opened yet, and weighing in what may work best for us. We plan to have the 3shape Dental Systems Premium SW and will likely nest in native SW to the machine or use CAMBridge.
Anyone have any thoughts on the AG unit in comparison to Roland when it comes to using 3shape? I know 3shape does a great job of integration, but sometimes you can't beat the CAM SW that comes from the vendor to calculate the G-Codes or Milling strategy.

A

A. M.

Reaction score
I used Roland DWX-50 for 5 years, that was the first mill I worked with. I liked it.
Started in a new place recently, we bought the Ceramill Mikro 5X, debating between the 51D and this. I have to say I love the Mikro 5X, using with 3Shape... fast and very good result.
But I think a lot depends on where you get it from, because of the tech support. Especially at the beginning you will have a lot of questions, confusing information, so you wanna deal with people who can actually help you...
Plus you have to think wet or dry mill... the Motion 2 is wet/dry mill...