Finishing dentures

Toni Toscano

Toni Toscano

Reaction score
I am interested to see what peoples favorite finishing burs/techniques are. More specifically. We love scotchbrites here. But they seem to wear out fast. So id like to hear any suggestions on what would be good to use that's similar but that I wont go through them so fast. Especially since they are on back order. Its fine. Other ways work but that way just seems faster.

B

Brandon Patrick

Reaction score
I try to wax so that I'm not doing much finishing. Obviously it doesn't work out every time though lol. I use a large tapered carbide at the lathe to remove flash and reduce base thickness. I'll throw in an egg-shaped carbide to round out borders and clean up any thickness I may have missed, especially in the palate. Then at the handpiece I like to use a tapered carbide to open up any frena, then a fine cross-cut tapered bur to refine any gingival rolls and root eminences (I like the anatomy to be subtle and not over embellished). Then I pumice on high with a buff wheel and felt cone on palate and borders. Pumice on slow with a bristle wheel on interproximal areas and hard to reach scratches. Then polish slow with rouge, and then high with some high shine or paste. No stippling with bent burs.. it just looks like scratches. Patients and doctors don't like it. If I want to break up the surface texture a bit then I'll tap some GC optiglaze on with a brush beforehand. I steam any remaining polish off of the teeth (usually a little in the interproximal areas),brush the surface with soap and water. Then seal it up and deliver!

I have used those soft grey rubber points and they're nice too, but like the scotchbrites, they don't last long. I've found that the pumice does all the work in smoothing out surface roughness just as well as anything else, and it lasts a lot longer.

Toni Toscano

Toni Toscano

Reaction score
Thank you for your response and in such detail. I appreciate your time there (when I know most of us have so little to spare) You have a good technique. I use quite a bit of them. But the few I haven't in your combination I will definitely try!
Happy Wednesday!
Five

D

David Laville

Reaction score
I am interested to see what peoples favorite finishing burs/techniques are. More specifically. We love scotchbrites here. But they seem to wear out fast. So id like to hear any suggestions on what would be good to use that's similar but that I wont go through them so fast. Especially since they are on back order. Its fine. Other ways work but that way just seems faster.

I try to do everything in wax. It takes me a little longer to wax up but it saves me that much time in finishing and it comes out much better. After I divest a denture I place it in the ultrasonic for a few minutes to remove any stone in the embrasures. I then use an acrylic knockdown wheel to trim the peripheral border and then blend it in using a 3/8" or 1/2" egg shape bur. Add stippling and I'm finished ready for polishing. My palates are a consistent 3-4 mm thick and hardly ever do I need to finish them. Here is a denture I finished today. It took me about 5 minutes from the time I sat at the finishing bench till it was ready for polish;
20180712_023413.jpg

yw2wigibd

yw2wigibd

Last edited:
Top Bottom