Figuring out implant parts for my accounts !!!!!

VinnieCDT

VinnieCDT

Reaction score
What should I charge a Dr. when he sends me a case in and tell me to figure out what I need and let him order it ???? Cost of doing biz or my time is worth something ?????

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Your time is always 'worth something'. I'd just tell him I'll order them for him, charge the surcharge (I do 30%) for this service and then you free up his time (which he/she would probably adore you for).

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer not to be an implant part middleman, but when I must, I mark them up 25%. After that, I have 2 prices for implant crowns, the first for accounts that supply the parts without asking and a higher fee for Docs that want my recommendation about what they need to order.

VinnieCDT

VinnieCDT

Reaction score
Agree most of my accounts understand that but now I have a few trying to save money ! Believe me It makes my blood pressure rise a little and my first thought is to explain all of my training but they really dont want to hear that, bottom line for them ! Guess I'm just venting because I know the answer but just want someone to tell me awww just quit winning and decide how important these accounts are too you.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
What if you just raise your implant crown price to incorporate the consultation you did????

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Vinnie, I have been in the same boat. We handle our implant cases in the way that Rob describes. After you stop whining and decide how important these accounts are to you:D, I might look at adding an implant handling charge to their cases. Many labs charge an extra fee for implant cases in addition or in place of a markup on parts ordered. I guess the only thing that makes me not get real angry about these types of situations is that I know the doctor is passing on the savings he is getting from me to his patients so they can buy food and clothing for their children.

stt672

stt672

Reaction score
I think most implant company's have a two tier pricing policy. The lab is always charged less than the doctor to allow you to mark up your price. Find out what they charge your doctor when he orders and compare it to what you charge, you will probably find it is a wash so encourage him to let you do the ordering because he is not saving anything.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
What should I charge a Dr. when he sends me a case in and tell me to figure out what I need and let him order it ???? Cost of doing biz or my time is worth something ?????

most implant companies offer a 5-25% discount in sales to LABS.....sooooooo, if it makes more sense (via your time and effort),offer to the Dr a savings from what he would normally pay....and mark it up so that you make some cash too.

for example..... XYZ implant Co offers me a 20% discount for any parts i order, so i in turn offer the dentist a price of about 10% lower than what he would pay if he ordered. only once have i had a Dr say no to this, and that was because he had a backstock of parts he was trying to work through. otherwise (we ALL know) they jump at the idea of saving a few bucks. after all, thats why youre figuring out parts.....his time costs more LOL

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
I am not sure the mark up will cover the cost of inventory - but may save you time on direct shipping.
Sometimes I chose the wrong one and would have to reorder, or the person taking the order shipped the
wrong one and now I have to wait on the right one and spend time calling tech support for RMA. If there is
a miscast, then you end up having to order a second one, etc.
Everyone's time cost money, labs deserve a fair shake and should be compensated, charging an 'implant
fee' might be easier to stomach than 'consultation' fee for the DDS - just how it is worded. DDS may
want to pay for the abutment parts, but balk at the analog or polishing/protective analog and you still
have to pay extra for those on your own, so it becomes an itemized bill. If anyone wants to get into
implant dentistry and expect not to pay for parts, that DDS is not being realistic. The (Chinese) saying
goes, the wool has to grow from the sheep . . .
LCM

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
plus 20% if I order, 0 % if it shows up with the case. I prefer the latter and try to arrange it when I can.

Top Bottom