FCZ UNDER 5 MINUTES

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
22 mins start to finish to plan the cutting, write the toolpaths, sort out errors, and do 2 simulations. 6 mins to photograph, and 1 to post.
this is why youre paid the big bucks

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
on revisit, i added a 6th toolpass and modified the roughing. takes it to 6minutes, but much safer for the tools.

9/10 times you run this it would probably break zirconia before a tool.

tempted to try it.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
spent the rest of the afternoon revising and optimizing, cause i was bored. i got it to pump out an accurate unit in maximum 8mins 10 seconds. i'd be about 50% confident to run this on my 350 safely. would much prefer a slower safer gentler run.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
spent the rest of the afternoon revising and optimizing, cause i was bored. i got it to pump out an accurate unit in maximum 8mins 10 seconds. i'd be about 50% confident to run this on my 350 safely. would much prefer a slower safer gentler run.
all with simulations?
with my generic tooling strategy in sum3d an average sized molar mills in 14-16min. hard for me to justify spending the time tweaking tooling for 50% confidence in a 50% faster mill time.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
the time i posted was not how long it calculated, but the duration of the milling. it would take 8 mins 10 seconds to mill, the time taken to generate the toolpaths was about 15 seconds.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
the time i posted was not how long it calculated, but the duration of the milling. it would take 8 mins 10 seconds to mill, the time taken to generate the toolpaths was about 15 seconds.
ok, still puts the mill time only 50% better than where i am now
and you said youre only 50% confident in it

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
well, an imes mill can go faster, however i have an equal amount of faith in a successful unit with so gentle a sequence as-is, pushing down to 5-6 mins even with nasty rasp roughing, wouldnt be altogehter advantageous.

i mean lets say i manage to make it work for 5 mins, what are you going to put on pause to watch the mill for 5 mins? something that needs attention, which is the point. rushing one thing makes everything else late.

a whole puck of singles with ridicu-roughing makes even less sense. thin sprues break easy, why subject 20 units to failure potential.

this is an excersize is futility.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
well, an imes mill can go faster, however i have an equal amount of faith in a successful unit with so gentle a sequence as-is, pushing down to 5-6 mins even with nasty rasp roughing, wouldnt be altogehter advantageous.

i mean lets say i manage to make it work for 5 mins, what are you going to put on pause to watch the mill for 5 mins? something that needs attention, which is the point. rushing one thing makes everything else late.

a whole puck of singles with ridicu-roughing makes even less sense. thin sprues break easy, why subject 20 units to failure potential.

You just had to get logic involved.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

i was leaning more toward interest in 4-6 units at a time in an hour instead of 2. that makes sense....as long as it works.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
the great part about generic milling strategy is how its not linear scale to cut big parts vs little ones.

6 units anterior bridge: calculation to generate toolpaths in 4mins 16 sec, estimated cut time 28 mins

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
no idea why the image was resized, but 28mins 31 seconds milling time.

could that be worth it ?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
no idea why the image was resized, but 28mins 31 seconds milling time.

could that be worth it ?
for 6 units, yes absolutely. if it works, gets me the same or better result, doesnt break tools or puck, etc, etc.
idc about calculation time. whoopie-doo 5min to calculate means i get a pee break for a change. i nest 1-5 pucks a day, so if each took 5min thats a whole 25min of down time for a significant decrease in mill time. well worth it, no question. theres a lot of ifs though

D

drstranger

Reaction score
That's interesting how fast you guys can mill a crown. In my old lab we had an VHF that milled a crown in 10-15 min. My Imes 250i with a 5axis enabled in SUM3D mills a crown in 25-35 min. However the quality of the crowns are way superior compared to the VHF. The anatomy looks beautiful and they just need smoothing of the surface and thinning of the margins after sintering. This way I just spend 10 min per crown to prepare it for glazing and have a nice result. Personally I rather have the milling machine working 20 minutes longer for me while I drink a coffee than spending these 20 minutes adjusting the crown.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
That's interesting how fast you guys can mill a crown. In my old lab we had an VHF that milled a crown in 10-15 min. My Imes 250i with a 5axis enabled in SUM3D mills a crown in 25-35 min. However the quality of the crowns are way superior compared to the VHF. The anatomy looks beautiful and they just need smoothing of the surface and thinning of the margins after sintering. This way I just spend 10 min per crown to prepare it for glazing and have a nice result. Personally I rather have the milling machine working 20 minutes longer for me while I drink a coffee than spending these 20 minutes adjusting the crown.
what "smoothing" on the surface of crowns do you need to do? 25-35min for a single unit, those surfaces should already be smooth.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
milled a denture base today, entirely unrelated. full palate, whole disk worth of milling. 2 hr 30mins.

i wrote that program, not CAM defaults.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
milled a denture base today, entirely unrelated. full palate, whole disk worth of milling. 2 hr 30mins.

i wrote that program, not CAM defaults.
and? how did it come out?

Top Bottom