Favorite Zirconia & Stains as of Dec. 2017

C

charles007

Reaction score
Over the years of using zirconia I've tried to keep up with the best most translucent zirconia's on the market and change when I see or hear about improvements. Being an older member on DLN I frequently talk to other members and companies across the country and beyond to learn what's Hot and whats Not. Started out using crappy white very opaque zir that was half ass colored around 2009 and moved up to Wielands precolored Zenostar which was a huge leap up in translucency with improved shading. Wielands coloring liquids and zir were superior to others in my opinion at that time and generation of zirconia's. Later moved on to BioZ zirconia which was more translucent, improved shades, and their next generation CubeX zirconia. Later moved up to Jensens XT which had much better consistent shades, and added Jensen's Imagine to my tool box of zirconia's.. Presently using Katana STML on most cases. Majority of my cases are full contour zir and some with facial/buccal cutbacks. ( FYI. one my favorite zir is still Jensens XT but my milling lab not using it. Another favorite is AG Solid FX but yet to find a lab that can sinter correctly to get good shades.) To be totally honest not all milling labs are equal and there are differences in the way zirconia is sintered and colored. Sintering and coloring zirconia, and milling precolored is no difference than using many brands of porcelains. It all comes down to using correct techniques with calibrated ovens, to see the differences in brands of zirconia :rolleyes:

As far as stains used on zirconia, stated out using Vita's, then Emax stains, and moved on to GC Lustre when it came out to use on zirconia. Changed to Jensen's InSync stains when they were released and still using them. (Haven't tried the new Ivoclar stains.) Plan to move up to Jensen's MiYO in January to give me an advantage on full contoured zirconia.
So, what are your favorite zirconia's and do you plan to change anytime soon to another brand.
Please feel free to post any cases using MiYo. I predict it will be one of the hottest materials in 2018.. Also think average labs will increase their prices on full contour zirconia, talking about labs using latest generations of zir, and not computer geeks at the mouse, and using MiYo.
FYI when you have dental assistants telling you years ago your FCZ looks better than pfms there's no reason to sell cheap FCZ that's almost impossible to break.

Have a Merry Christmas DLN'S and please don't work through the holidays like I did for years. Spend time with your families like your doctors are doing every year ! Santaclaus

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
Some of everything. No one kit has colors Im willing to limit myself too. I don't have a stain pallet with wells that are dedicated to A,B,C,D, etc. I have a pallet of colors. I also don't use one glaze.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Over the years of using zirconia I've tried to keep up with the best most translucent zirconia's on the market and change when I see or hear about improvements. Being an older member on DLN I frequently talk to other members and companies across the country and beyond to learn what's Hot and whats Not. Started out using crappy white very opaque zir that was half ass colored around 2009 and moved up to Wielands precolored Zenostar which was a huge leap up in translucency with improved shading. Wielands coloring liquids and zir were superior to others in my opinion at that time and generation of zirconia's. Later moved on to BioZ zirconia which was more translucent, improved shades, and their next generation CubeX zirconia. Later moved up to Jensens XT which had much better consistent shades, and added Jensen's Imagine to my tool box of zirconia's.. Presently using Katana STML on most cases. Majority of my cases are full contour zir and some with facial/buccal cutbacks. ( FYI. one my favorite zir is still Jensens XT but my milling lab not using it. Another favorite is AG Solid FX but yet to find a lab that can sinter correctly to get good shades.) To be totally honest not all milling labs are equal and there are differences in the way zirconia is sintered and colored. Sintering and coloring zirconia, and milling precolored is no difference than using many brands of porcelains. It all comes down to using correct techniques with calibrated ovens, to see the differences in brands of zirconia :rolleyes:

As far as stains used on zirconia, stated out using Vita's, then Emax stains, and moved on to GC Lustre when it came out to use on zirconia. Changed to Jensen's InSync stains when they were released and still using them. (Haven't tried the new Ivoclar stains.) Plan to move up to Jensen's MiYO in January to give me an advantage on full contoured zirconia.
So, what are your favorite zirconia's and do you plan to change anytime soon to another brand.
Please feel free to post any cases using MiYo. I predict it will be one of the hottest materials in 2018.. Also think average labs will increase their prices on full contour zirconia, talking about labs using latest generations of zir, and not computer geeks at the mouse, and using MiYo.
FYI when you have dental assistants telling you years ago your FCZ looks better than pfms there's no reason to sell cheap FCZ that's almost impossible to break.

Have a Merry Christmas DLN'S and please don't work through the holidays like I did for years. Spend time with your families like your doctors are doing every year ! Santaclaus
switched to Ivocolor stains this year .... been pretty pleased with the results. just starting to get into detailed trials with some of their essence stains. soooo many to choose from to make lifelike staining possible. really looking forward to the MiYo if it ever actually comes out.....cause wasnt it supposed to be the big thing for 2017?
still playing with zirconias. there are so many decent ones now, and more to come. using vericore with great success (still) and have been using a bit of TDs Extreme too. no complaints!

Restorationlab

Restorationlab

Reaction score
How does the MiYo system compare with the GC Luster kit or the new Ivocolor stains? I tried Luster kit and was not thrilled with it.

K

KIM

Reaction score
How does the MiYo system compare with the GC Luster kit or the new Ivocolor stains? I tried Luster kit and was not thrilled with it.
Please see the MiYO post under the Jensen Dental Sponsor Page, there is an explanation there. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Top Bottom