Exocad Users/Medit SE/Windows 8/2015.03 Engine build 5541

C

charles007

Reaction score
Anyone out there that just bought a new computer/ Windows 8, with the newest Exocad update 5541 using Medit SE scanner ?
Now that I have the latest update, my scanner scans slower.. I maybe the first SE scanner using Windows 8 with this problem. Everything works great except slower scanning ! I'm even having to do less add scans on preps with this new update for whatever reason.
It takes 9.5 to 10 minutes to scan 2 full arch models and 1 die from the first scan to the time your prep pops up to mark margins.
I have all the Microsoft updates, very fast computer. Identico can't help at this time and hasn't seen this problem. The problem could be a driver problem ? Like I wrote above, I may be the first lab with this problem with SE and Win 8.
I'm scanning with Exoscan and now have a Identico scanning tab on DB to quickly use. Haven't used Identico scanning software yet, but I will time over the weekend. Identico scanning should be a little faster ?

fyi I didn't post this in the new Exocad Users Group since I want everyone from sea to shinning sea to read this post.
Anyone reading this and not a member of DLN, please join this great group of techs and stop being a lurker ! If your an Exocad user, please sign up for the New Exocad Users Group on DLN.......

Thanks,
Charles

BDDS

BDDS

Reaction score
Hi Charles ... would you mind posting more info on your PC?

C

charles007

Reaction score
Thanks for trying to help, but there's no lack of hp with this computer.
Hoping to find someone with new compute w windows 8 and Medit SE which maybe very hard to find anytime soon.

i7 4790cpu 3.60
16 GB ram
GTX 970 4 GB
512 SSD & 1 TB HD
Windows 8.1 Pro

BDDS

BDDS

Reaction score
Yea, that's a good set up ... Well, military background here. I always start with the basics instead of jumping too far ahead. Sometimes we tend to see bigger problems than what's right there. One thing to keep in mind is the graphics card. They are built beyond, meaning the GTX series constantly gets updated based on new software Being developed. Whoever built your PC may be able to help you go to a previous driver for that card. It may be having some communication problems. I've been using the 700 series cards, and have great luck with them, however have had to have a recent models driver turned back. I can't imagine if I had jumped to the 900 series ... Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of people here are using them, but like you said not everyone is doing this with the SE. Remember the SE drivers are kinda old, so you may have more luck with an older driver (for your graphics card). Just a thought.

RMNATL

RMNATL

Reaction score
Charles, you're definitely not the only lab with this issue. You see, the Identica SE was never designed with windows 8/8.1 in mind.
Infact, we have other customers who couldn't get it to scan at all on 8.1, so your already doing better than most.
My best recommendation would be to double check that ALL of your CAD and scan related software is running on the GTX 970 and not the native intel graphics, which it often will default to unless otherwise assigned.

Worst case scenario, downgrade to windows 7, everything works better on windows 7, haha

French Cadman

French Cadman

Reaction score
En français, "le mieux est parfois l'ennemi du bien ..."

That's right !

Last edited:
C

charles007

Reaction score
Thanks,
Just asked Chris about graph/cards, that relates to laptops computers, and it will make you aware of that.

Identico/Medit is being silent about this problem, but I'm sure there working hard for a fix.... I hope !
Chris thinks he knows what the problem is and I'm can't remember all the computer terminology he used to describe it.... lol

Using the new Exocad 5541 update, I'm doing less add scans on preps, maybe sharper scans overall ? and Everything works flawless ! :)
With over a year of fit problems, non working cad tools, TruSmile stopped working, and doing a reinstall of update 5057 and TruSmile with DT T , nothing helped.
I'm extremely excited my crowns are finally fitting like they should fit and Exocad platform works great. I guess you could say its a great tradeoff having everything working smoothly and having slower scanning.
Still haven't tried Medit Scan yet, but its nice that Chris Brown added Medit Scan under Scan in the DB for 1 click scanning.

RMNATL... fyi don't think Windows 10 when it comes out will solve this problem at all. btw. Windows 10 will be free for us Windows 8 users

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Thanks,
Just asked Chris about graph/cards, that relates to laptops computers, and it will make you aware of that.

Identico/Medit is being silent about this problem, but I'm sure there working hard for a fix.... I hope !
Chris thinks he knows what the problem is and I'm can't remember all the computer terminology he used to describe it.... lol

Using the new Exocad 5541 update, I'm doing less add scans on preps, maybe sharper scans overall ? and Everything works flawless ! :)
With over a year of fit problems, non working cad tools, TruSmile stopped working, and doing a reinstall of update 5057 and TruSmile with DT T , nothing helped.
I'm extremely excited my crowns are finally fitting like they should fit and Exocad platform works great. I guess you could say its a great tradeoff having everything working smoothly and having slower scanning.
Still haven't tried Medit Scan yet, but its nice that Chris Brown added Medit Scan under Scan in the DB for 1 click scanning.

RMNATL... fyi don't think Windows 10 when it comes out will solve this problem at all. btw. Windows 10 will be free for us Windows 8 users
Don't upgrade to win 10 OS until exocad gets it worked out. Win 10 is a long way from being ready.

RMNATL

RMNATL

Reaction score
Thanks,

Don't upgrade to win 10 OS until exocad gets it worked out. Win 10 is a long way from being ready.

I never said windows 10.... thats a whole new level of unpredictable outcomes and software conflicts and not likely to solve anything for some time!
I said Win 7, and only because its a stable and proven OS that fully supports all the current CAD/CAM software and drivers that I'm aware of.

I'm glad Chris was able to help you out, the man is a genius

C

charles007

Reaction score
I understand, and yes, Chris is a genius and got me back on track with Exocad. With any luck I may learn to like Exocad before I die... lol

I have a zip drive copy from my other computer that died I could use for exoscan only ?.. Hate to rock the boat with everything working so smoothly except scan speed....

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
what is the biggest different with Zirkonzahn design and Exocad design? I can't really tell....

ChrisBWJ

ChrisBWJ

Reaction score
There are new drivers available from Medit for the SE and Windows 8.x. I've seen it work on 2 installations. Should be testing a third next week.

I definitely prefer 7 to 8. If you like the Win7 Start button/interface, but have to run Win8, google and download ClassicShell. It solves 90% of my user interface issues with 8.x.... As for USB, touch screen and other hardware interfaces... still fighting those one at a time!

c

Charles, you're definitely not the only lab with this issue. You see, the Identica SE was never designed with windows 8/8.1 in mind.
Infact, we have other customers who couldn't get it to scan at all on 8.1, so your already doing better than most.
My best recommendation would be to double check that ALL of your CAD and scan related software is running on the GTX 970 and not the native intel graphics, which it often will default to unless otherwise assigned.

Worst case scenario, downgrade to windows 7, everything works better on windows 7, haha

Top Bottom