Exocad training pricing

apostolis159

apostolis159

Reaction score
I've been designing for 3+ years now, and I believe I have a good understanding of how exocad works.
Recently, an acquaintance, also a dental technician but in a different country, asked me to train him in exocad. Just exocad mind you, he's an older guy and just struggles a bit with all the computer stuff. He's always been a full analog guy when it comes to the lab, and just recently got into digital.

My question is, what should I charge? Per hour that is. Say we do a few hourly sessions. I show him how the thing works, explain the different restoration workflows. The basics, crowns/bridges and implants.
Since I live in a different country, I don't know what is a normal rate where he is (Canada). To be honest, I wouldn't know what the rate is where I am either (Europe).
I'm not looking to make a profit here, just not work for free.

Thanks.
If this kind of discussion violates the forum rules, I'm open to dms if anybody want's to help.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Hello, Just help him out for free, one day you will need him,
You scratch my back , I’ll scratch yours.
Money is not everything.
I have people here helped me out so many times on issues of exocad and others when I switched to digital more than ten years ago , and I’ll try to do the same .

apostolis159

apostolis159

Reaction score
This is what I was planning, but he won't take it. It's not about the money for me.
According to him, he'd rather pay me -someone he knows- than a random guy.
He's had issues with his reseller not providing training even though it was agreed on, and is now in the process or switching to a different reseller. No idea what the situation is in Canada with resellers and support.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
im in pretty much the same boat as your guy that needs training...
im also pretty sure we have the same reseller.

to keep the cost down, we are also without support, it's what we had to do. with that said, training with "their guy" was ridiculously expensive...
worth it? no, not to me. in our case, we are starting "new", and won't have cases come in that are beyond the scope of what I can now do, and there is no way I could have switched to EXO if this were already a producing lab, it would be suicide imo.

im in no way implying that support isn't worth it. my definition of support and ridiculously priced training I can get thru videos are 2 different things.. that said, charge what will keep you engaged, or don't.

I understand he wants to pay for help, he wants you available when he needs you. I fully get it, there is an awful lot of value in it from his standpoint, so don't undersell yourself.

now, as others have said, help him out, it'll come back to you, it always does. once he is up to speed, charge for advanced training/support.
charge what will keep you from being resentful when you've got a ****-ton on your plate and the phone rings at the most inopportune moment. imo

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I've been designing for 3+ years now, and I believe I have a good understanding of how exocad works.
Recently, an acquaintance, also a dental technician but in a different country, asked me to train him in exocad. Just exocad mind you, he's an older guy and just struggles a bit with all the computer stuff. He's always been a full analog guy when it comes to the lab, and just recently got into digital.

My question is, what should I charge? Per hour that is. Say we do a few hourly sessions. I show him how the thing works, explain the different restoration workflows. The basics, crowns/bridges and implants.
Since I live in a different country, I don't know what is a normal rate where he is (Canada). To be honest, I wouldn't know what the rate is where I am either (Europe).
I'm not looking to make a profit here, just not work for free.

Thanks.
If this kind of discussion violates the forum rules, I'm open to dms if anybody want's to help.
What is your hourly rate in your currency? If you don't pay yourself hourly, Which you probably should, What is the number you need to hit to keep up with the bills divide that by your time you spend with him.

C

Coolmdl

Reaction score
Money is not everything.
I have people here helped me out so many times on issues of exocad and others when I switched to digital more than ten years ago , and I’ll try to do the same .
I agree with you !
People need help each other