Exocad Solutions....Adding Missing or Incomplete data for Design

T

Tusk

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a question and I'm sure there's a simple answer but I'm missing it.
I often get full mouth cases but with no bite record (and yes I've tried educating these dentists but it still keeps happening. I think they have a allergy to bite blocks). What I'll effectively have is articulated pre-op models and non articulated working models.
After it's all scanned in, (I can't scan the working models in any form of upper-lower relationship) I need to reference the working model onto the pre-op model - which does have bite relationship. Referencing the 2 scans together is easy enough, but exocad always moves the pre-op out of its virtual space and places it on the working model, thus losing my articulated reference.
I need the working models to be moved onto the pre-op so that I can then have my upper-lower relationship. Then I can at least mill out a pmma diagnostic template or varification jig and they can give me a more acurate bite record.
Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
You can scan pre op models in occlusion and save. Then a new work order and scan for working models. Open cad, import the working model. Then in add remove mesh add the pre op model that matches the working. Register meshes and best fit possible. Then add antagonist using the add remove mesh again, You should then have the models in articulation. Beware though the be may be off due to occlusal changes with the working model. It may look fine on master model in CAD but Doc may have to adjust quite a bit. The best bet is to scan working model and antagonist together in occlusion with a provided bite or scan working with pre op antagonist hand articulated to best fit and secured with hot glue sticks, then scan........

T

Tusk

Reaction score
I tried something similar without success, but I wasn't sure I was going about it the right way.
It makes sense that your suggestion should work, so I'll have another go at it.
Many thanks!!
Yes, I realise the occlusion will be out, but it gives me a diagnostic starting point.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
After you do what @dmonwaxa said, you can export each file separately and they will be in the same working plane if you need to start over with a new order form. As long as the meshes match up well, you will be good to go.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
The jaw scans are the master scans that all others will be matched to. This is why the preop moves from it's original registration in 3d universe. The same will happen to gingiva, generic visualization, etc.

So to make this easier on yourself. Scan your preop models as jaw scans (working models) this will preserve the bite relationship.

Remove everything from the scene except one arch and save as stl file to 'original scan data files' and name preop. Do the same for the other arch.

Now import your prepped working models and register to the preop scans. When you are happy with the match save the arch as stl file to
'original scan data files' name it exactly the same as the original (preop) jaw scan. This will overwrite the original jaw scan that was the preop
and you now have a working model in the right position and it is now the master scan that everything else you may need to import can be matched to.

Your original jaw scan (preop) can now be imported as preop using expert mode and will be in it's original relationship to the opposing arch.

*edit* You've been here since 2012 and this is your first post. Questionmark

Last edited:
dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Yes,,, just as 2th suggested. I omitted telling you to isolate, save and overwrite files...Jaw scan.....sorry!

Let us know how it works out for you.