Exocad Pc / Ryzen Cpu

A

Arfanis Dimitris

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am currently in the process of getting a dental scanner and pair it with exocad. I am also trying to figure out whats the best Pc i could build for such a purpose. Is there anyone thats has any experience with the new cpu from amd (ryzen)? I was wondering whether it would be better to get a Ruzen 7 Cpu ( 8 cores / 16 threads) instead of the intel's i7( 4cores / 8 threads) that exocad proposes. Would exocad take advantage of these extra cores and threads? Would there be any compatibility issues with exocad or the scanner software? I am thinking of geeting a Medit T500 also.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I would stick with Intel. Exocad and 3Shape both require a very hefty build, Intel cpu, nvidia card and 32gb plus. Intel has always dominated AMD in the CPU for some reason cad software loves intel chips. Also a good SSD preferably Samsung for faster read write times.

deadhead

deadhead

Reaction score
I would agree with Sevan. When it comes to Exocad and your PC, dont cheap out on the PC cause ExoCad is a beast program especially on the graphics side. make sure you have a good graphics card or else when designing big cases you will have lag and possibly get error messages. I would definitely get a PC that is better than what ExoCad requires as minimum requirements, because as you add new modules and more data you will need more space and processing speed. But Exocad is a really good design program that has a lot of good features that still would make you a dental technician(or keep you a tech) instead of turning people into button pushers lol

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I would stick with Intel. Exocad and 3Shape both require a very hefty build, Intel cpu, nvidia card and 32gb plus. Intel has always dominated AMD in the CPU for some reason cad software loves intel chips. Also a good SSD preferably Samsung for faster read write times.
SSD for OS only, right? Or did I miss something again.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
SSD for OS only, right? Or did I miss something again.
Yes always main SAD it is and software install only. You can run a secondary SSD or HDD for data storage. Just cause dad's are pricey I say run a the 2tb for cases scan storage. But hey it's your pc so what ever you feel like doing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Yes always main SAD it is and software install only. You can run a secondary SSD or HDD for data storage. Just cause dad's are pricey I say run a the 2tb for cases scan storage. But hey it's your pc so what ever you feel like doing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I'm really wanting to try a usb3 raid1 setup on decent class 10 drives, just for kicks ;)

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Damnit, when did I get old?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Damnit, when did I get old?
usia;;u abpit tjree uarss after upi graciate JS

Edit: I'm leaving that, just like it is.

Usually about three years after you graduate ou start losing things happening if you're not looped into a community that keeps up with them. Population density matters. Schools have a very high population density.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm really wanting to try a usb3 raid1 setup on decent class 10 drives, just for kicks ;)
why?

M.2 drive at over 2200 Mb/s.

a single M.2 1Tb drive would be only about 500-900 bucks to get way way faster than any other flash.

raid0 of two 2200Mb/s drives would probably start a fire.

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
if you want the best pc , contact brent harvey at digital healthcare computers, then you wont have to upgrade again when you get a mill.

Either way, a SSD is a must, my pc and laptop boots up in around 10 seconds.

Kam Yu

Kam Yu

Reaction score
if you want the best pc , contact brent harvey at digital healthcare computers, then you wont have to upgrade again when you get a mill.

Either way, a SSD is a must, my pc and laptop boots up in around 10 seconds.
So that computer i posted isnt steong enough to run a mill??

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
So that computer i posted isnt steong enough to run a mill??
its plenty strong to 'run' the mill, but it could be better if its use is for calculation of mill toolpaths, or designing units.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
why?

M.2 drive at over 2200 Mb/s.

a single M.2 1Tb drive would be only about 500-900 bucks to get way way faster than any other flash.

raid0 of two 2200Mb/s drives would probably start a fire.
Just because man, just because.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Almost any decent computer can probably run a mill if it has the proper specs. If you plan on using it daily, and you care about being efficient, there is a downtime when the computer is processing, maybe its <1 min per case, or 2 min per puck, this time adds up in the long run, not to mention, while youre waiting, that 1 min becomes 15 minutes as you wander off into DLN land and forget to start the mill..

Software is changing really fast, and DHC doesnt just sell super-fast liquid-cooled computers, its a dental specific computer, with your software loaded onto it for you, tech support, antivirus that will help protect sensitive HIPAA info on your computer, their own file sharing inbox for IOS scans and sending to multiple mills etc. I have a dell optiplex i5 that has run a scanner and mill for 5+ years now, works fine. I also bought a dell laptop from walmart that was dead JUST after the warranty was up, go figure. I wouldnt put it past a company like dell to have a kill switch feature that waits until you need parts and service from them, just sayin.. I also have an alienware i7 touchscreen and it runs 3shape/exo just fine, you can cast it to a tv or run hdmi. Its just depends on what you want, and how much $$$ you wanna throw down, not all are created equal, and why not go with a dental specific company that has your best interest in mind, its just as important as the scanner.