Exocad, Offset Inlay Function, and Grill$

GetRad

GetRad

Reaction score
Greetings dental tech hive mind. I've been using the Offset Inlay function in Exocad to design and mill grills for a while now. I recently had a customer with a specific set of wants that led me to hand waxing up the grill contour on the cast and scanning it as a preop. Here's my issue- I can't seem to find a way to adapt the proposal to the preop. I've done this lots when designing crowns, but for some reason the option isn't available in offset inlay. Does anyone have any ideas or potential work arounds for this? Pic included. Cheers!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-01 073851.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-01 073851.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 29
zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I'd trim the wax-up down to the bare minimum save it together with your designed offset inlay, then try to merge the two (boolean union) in meshmixer or a similar app.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
why can't you use Veneer worktype and use Waxup instead of Preop?

J

Josh Claxton

Reaction score
It's likely because offset types don't often follow pre-ops, you might just not have the option, I'll have to admit I've never used an offset inlay with a pre-op before. Also check that the "merged" part if the "reduced" part is not the cause. Just like with a merged restoration you might not have the option to make certain changes.

I'd save the scene first as "before I broke it" and delete the reduced parts, and try to form to pre-op. If that fails, try a regular inlay/onlay with pre-op

GetRad

GetRad

Reaction score
why can't you use Veneer worktype and use Waxup instead of Preop?
After a few attempts, I was able to finally get it. The issue was then that the software was having trouble placing a tooth to adapt in the first place, given that the margin stretch across what is effectively six teeth. I ended up greatly increasing the size of the tooth so it would encapsulate the entire margin and then free formed it down to get it as close as possible to the pre-op and then adapting it. Thank you for the suggestion!

Last edited:
D

Drillnation

Reaction score
After a few attempts, I was able to finally get it. The issue was then that the software was having trouble placing a tooth to adapt in the first place, given that the margin stretch across what is effectively six teeth. I ended up greatly increasing the size of the tooth so it would encapsulate the entire margin and then free formed it down to get it as close as possible to the pre-op and then adapting it. Thank you for the suggestion!
Hey I’m interested in the final product. Were you able to complete the casting process ? Also if how was the retention?