Exocad Model coming out "muddy"

V

vcapone

Reaction score
I'm new to Exocad model builder and when trying to make solid models the analogs I have set in the scan become very muddy and unclear after I hit the Run button. Any reason as to why it does this? I'm not changing the setting because I was told not to, but if it helps prevent the muddiness I will.

niSW3Pf.png
FKt26ID.png
aRiuSOl.png

Zgnc71f.png

3jP0N7P.png

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
add margins around the implants so exocad will ditch around them, otherwise it is attempting to smooth the triangles in this area to make it a contiguous mesh for printing.

V

vcapone

Reaction score
add margins around the implants so exocad will ditch around them, otherwise it is attempting to smooth the triangles in this area to make it a contiguous mesh for printing.
Marking margins around them fixed it, but now I have dies, I want a solid model no dies, am I setting up wrong somewhere?

hfHICAs.png

A

Artin

Reaction score
Guys am I missing something ??
is this something new ?
what is this library how can you print analogs what is this model good for ??
we usually make models with holes where the analogs are and we just order digital analogs it's the first time I see someone doing this,
if you can explain a little about this model I'll be really happy just curious.

V

vcapone

Reaction score
Guys am I missing something ??
is this something new ?
what is this library how can you print analogs what is this model good for ??
we usually make models with holes where the analogs are and we just order digital analogs it's the first time I see someone doing this,
if you can explain a little about this model I'll be really happy just curious.
I have an STL of the analogs, I bring them in and align them manually. Its mainly for checking fit of the application that's being made.

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Un-check the “ditch around die” box. Then the model won’t have a ditch around it. Then just print the model stl ( unless you want to print the separate dies as well)
IMG_8317.jpeg

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
If you want to print models with the analog socket holes you’ll need to make them from the project designs that used scan markers and the model analog libraries that are related to them.

V

vcapone

Reaction score
So I selected "hollow model with extra dies" and turned off "ditch around die" and the solid model is still muddy and unusable, but the dies are fine?? I guess I can make it "hollow model with cutout dies" uncheck "ditch around die" and save out the scene as an STL and use an external program like Netfab to make it be one shell, but that defeats the purpose of Exocad being able to make a solid model.

yva8IGm.png
Jnl6Bkw.png
5rExaQ3.png

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
IMHO, It would be a lot easier if you would print a model with the libary sockets and put the analogs in it...

V

vcapone

Reaction score
IMHO, It would be a lot easier if you would print a model with the libary sockets and put the analogs in it...
IMHO, it would be easier if Exocad worked properly and didn't make the models muddy... We don't use scan bodies/flags for our cases, I ran a test model through 3Shape and it didn't have an issue making a model, but we're trying to move away from 3Shape to Exocad and would like to keep everything contained in one program so the cases aren't split up.

V

vcapone

Reaction score
When using the extra die function, leave the ditch die option checked.
Okay, so that kind of worked but not fully. The two to the right are in good standing however the three to the left are more subG and the ditch depth is cutting off some of the screw channels, but the dies themselves are fine. I tried to change the "Model ditch depth avg." to more like 3mm and 5mm, and it redefaults to 2mm as a max.

Gy2TabU.png
0Z1YVYT.png
djIu5hr.png
1QO5YyK.png

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
You could try editing the "modelditchdepthavg" max depth value in the defaultparameters .xml (in the CADAp config folder) to 5 and see if that helps to make it lower. This might only work using the default model parameters. If that doesn't work then try and the find Formlabs-3-B .xml and try changing it there. I think if you right click on the presets box it should take you to the Formlabs folder and you can change it there.
Screenshot 2024-01-31 164744.jpg
yva8IGm (1).png

Last edited:
V

vcapone

Reaction score
You could try editing the "modelditchdepthavg" max depth value in the defaultparameters .xml (in the CADAp config folder) to 5 and see if that helps to make it lower. This might only work using the default model parameters. If that doesn't work then try and the find Formlabs-3-B .xml and try changing it there. I think if you right click on the presets box it should take you to the Formlabs folder and you can change it there.

I keep getting this error, I tried to change the parameters on both xml files, I don't know why this isn't easy...

xHB5Zcs.png

Top Bottom