Exocad Model builder

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I have a case with a custom abutment, we normally print our own models. How can I print what the custom abutment would look like placed in the mouth? I basically want a solid.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Using an IOS or traditional impression?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Using an IOS or traditional impression?
IOS then design, custom abutment/crown milled, then I would like the custom abutment to be represented in the solid model print like a normal tooth prep.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
If you have a desk top scanner you can scan the abutment and match it as an extra die scan to the original design file.
If not you can try it scanning it with an IOS and do the same thing of you get a good representation of the abutment.
Once they are matched up properly you can run the scan with the matched abutment through Model Creator to make a solid.
You will have to do some mesh editing and use the gray matter.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
If you have a desk top scanner you can scan the abutment and match it as an extra die scan to the original design file.
If not you can try it scanning it with an IOS and do the same thing of you get a good representation of the abutment.
Once they are matched up properly you can run the scan with the matched abutment through Model Creator to make a solid.
You will have to do some mesh editing and use the gray matter.
Are you doing a lot of implant cases where you are placing the analogs in them?(any video tutorials out there for this?) Also, what type of scan markers are you suggesting for the Docs?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Are you doing a lot of implant cases where you are placing the analogs in them?(any video tutorials out there for this?) Also, what type of scan markers are you suggesting for the Docs?
All single unit implant cases are done without models. When we started doing this years ago the models were the uncontrollable variable wrecking havoc on the work flow. We decided to go without models like single and multiple single unit crown cases. If I have a large case of implants it's traditional impressions for now and scan with DOF or Steiny.

I haven't checked the newer versions of exocad, but NT Trading, Dess, and Medentika have libraries that work with exocad Model Creator.

I made my own implant libraries for exocad using NT Trading scan bodies because they worked best with the IO scanner we were using at the time.
They have a metal interface that is not distorted easily like PEEK scan bodies and the metal will show in an x-ray to confirm it is seated properly. The downside to those scan bodies is they are wide and if the interdental space is limited they will need to be ground to fit.
If the top of the scan body and the matching surface can be left intact after grinding to fit they still work to match up in exocad.

I am not aware of any tutorial videos showing the work flow for implants in Model Creator.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
IOS then design, custom abutment/crown milled, then I would like the custom abutment to be represented in the solid model print like a normal tooth prep.
I tried that for a while to verify my contacts ( 3 shape model builder)
Problem doing it this way is that you only have the path of insertion of the crown to the abutment.
You want the path of insertion of the abutment and the crown which is why I went back to the analog hole instead.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I am doing modeless now, but the contacts are sometimes an issue. I am in house so it is not terrible, but it is a waste of time. If I could digitally generate a model with custom abutment in place. I could hone in the contacts exactly where I want them.
rkm, why would that matter for the path of the abutment? It is placed then the crown is placed on top.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I have a case with two close implant crowns where the minimum thickness of the margin overlaps, it will basically be a nightmare to fix in the mouth so I was hoping not to have to deal with it in the mouth.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I tried that for a while to verify my contacts ( 3 shape model builder)
Problem doing it this way is that you only have the path of insertion of the crown to the abutment.
You want the path of insertion of the abutment and the crown which is why I went back to the analog hole instead.
In exocad I just set the path of insertion according to the adjacent teeth. I realize this isn't possible with every case, but I do it with crowns as well.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Ya had to change path of insertion for this case they just leaned too far bucally and was coming out of the cusp tips.