exocad: is anyone using partial cad (in expert mode) as a streamlined full denture workflow?

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
So I came across a video from Joshua Jackson from evolve dentistry that showcases how he uses the partial cad to design full dentures. The only caveat is if you want to use carded teeth you can’t. My question is that a better (subjective I know) more streamlined approach? Just to give some background motivation Im looking to upgrade software and add denture module. If I can do the old “kill two birds with one stone” and be able to only pay for the partial cad, then I can design full dentures and have the option to design frames later down the road. Does anyone who is proficient in exocad know if Ill run into any problems that can be headaches. As I am not currently designing dentures I don’t have the experience to determine if it is a good choice. Please advise.

exocad denture workflow USE PARTIAL

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
not being able to use Card teeth writes off any chance of designing and manufacturing JUST a denture base to socket the teeth in. so that's a pretty big 50% of denture design and cost loss.

you control the entire production, yes, but you lose the cost savings of buying premade teeth.

the process is supposed to be for flippers and simple acrylic flexible dentures, but technically works for all the teeth, sure. but i'd recommend still having the denture module.

i mean you could design everything manually with large copings and pontics, but why? same applies here. its a question of why would you want to?

you save the cost of the denture module and the expense of the teeth, but gain the responsibility of making your own teeth and the resin cost or pmma pucks cost add up over time. if the denture module costs 2000 usd, then how many discs do you have to buy before making your own teeth costs more than the cost of the denture module? at 2 arches per disc, how many dentures is that before you've effectively spent the same money?

at 1 reset of teeth per case, the cost is now +50% due to having to remake the arch instead of place teeth in new wax.

the denture module and tooth cards quickly pay for themselves by comparison.

and really, when it comes down to the nitty gritty details, you do have a bit of an easier time with the partial method because you set up teeth and you're forced to save that setup before moving to the denture base; with the denture module returning to tooth setup must be manually saved if you want to return to this step and make changes. that's one somewhat useful step, but if you are already designing large prosthetics in exocad you'll be doing this automatically by now anyhow. its pretty universal to save the tooth setup stage as its own scene file as a backup.

J

jesusdesinger10

Reaction score
This is extremely helpful!!!! I must have missed it! Looks like I'll be taking out my waxer this weekend :)

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Exocad just came out with a 'ultimate' bundle so you can get ALL modules for a reasonable price last week. I'd contact your reseller and ask about it.