Exocad Hardware Requirements

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
This is just me quoting Exocad's wiki. If the Exocad boys don't think this is viable they should change their documentation.
I agree that 4GB Ram is on the low end, but just like JMN said it is enough to run the software. Not everyone does big cases.
Some people are still bread and butter crown and bridge single to 3-unit labs. They may not be large in number but they still exist.

I do wish people would spend a little more to enter into their pc system. Often they go with the minimum, only to realize they need to add an inbox software and then Itero, then blender or meshmixer and 3m margin marking; then they start running the radio in the background and the next thing they realize is that they need to buy a new and updated PC rig within a year. It's unfortunate. Plan for increased capacity when you start if you are customizing your set-up.
It's the cost of being a cheapskate.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Game boys running rigs Sorry,man, but that's funny! I read that and auto-envisioned a GameBoy with a smile on its monchrome screen playing Call Of Doody.

I thought about that one too, the double meaning of game boy(s),and left the words separated to try to help
make a distinction :)

Glad you got a laugh out it, fuzzball :D

197079.gif

Last edited:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Add a graphics card to your setup and you are the same price range.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

user name

user name

Reaction score
Add a graphics card to your setup and you are the same price range.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I know you know this stuff well Sevan...if you don't mind, could you explain why your build is better for what we do? This is all so far out of my comfort zone. Im just trying to learn.

L

Leejh

Reaction score
I know you know this stuff well Sevan...if you don't mind, could you explain why your build is better for what we do? This is all so far out of my comfort zone. Im just trying to learn.

hi, I think you can set up a cheaper build. I noticed recently that it takes more money to build your own parts if you pay the retail price. Microcenter have been selling built set ups in store only. And they are few hundreds of dollars cheaper than anywhere else I see.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score

User

There is sooo many things its hard, but the main things are in a graphing card is to make sure the motherboards graphics slot is a 16x or 16 lanes, the more lanes the more data transferred, some have multiple like 16x8x8 8x8x4 16x8x4 always the top slot #1 is the highest 16 or 8. For Ram DDR4-XXXX, the X's equal data rate, also the lower the number the better example 8-8-8-16 should be faster the 9-9-9-17. For the CPU obviously the more cores the better, but if the software does not utilize multiple cores then why bother. Quad core is more then enough if you are only running a design app, but if your running iTunes, browsing the web, and running multiple other programs then a 6 or 8 core is needed along with more ram from 32gb to 64gb or more. Also on the cpu the threads are the other key point so for my 8 core it has 16 threads, also the manufacturing tech means the lower the number the less heat the cpu will produce while operating. Then for the hard drives the traditional ones have moving parts 5200rpm or 7200 rpm. Faster rpm the faster the drive, but the newer SSD and M2.5 drive are non moving parts which make for insane transfer times on data but life time might be shorter then HDD's but hey its technology anything can go out in a given second. So a SSD is good but a m2.5 drive is faster, use these as your main drive (C:), this will be used to install applications and what not, then your HDD 2tb or higher for all you case storage, images, music and well for some XXX stuff. LOL!

But ditch the water cooled, i did it for a while and it was a PITA! Get a good cooler like a Noctua NH-D15 or NH-D14. Same for graphics card ditch the water cooler. For the power supply gold is good, platinum and titanium will output a higher duty cycle of the rated power. So a 850w gold might run at 70% of 850 but platinum will run at 85% and so on.

But for rendering Intell and Nvidia have been proven to be the leaders, but for gaming AMD will do along with radeon graphics.

Did I miss anything?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'll join in on the why Intel/Nvidia instead of AMD/ATI

First, AMD owns ATI, or at least used to, haven't kept up that close.

We all know that a program written for windows 2000 kinda can work on a later windows machine, but not that great, if at all. This is due to the programming interface that is available to progrsmmers to tell the machine what to do. Programmers (most of them) don't write code that directly tells the CPU or GPU(Graphics Processor/Processing Unit) what to do. The vast majority of programs are written to take advantage of all the 'simplified' programming languages, called high level languages, far away from writing thigns like the following where each line does some very specific thing to an absolute specific address of memory:

mv 345238, 498730
jmp 43982
poke 4573, 83476

that mess is code like would be written by pure geniuses writing for 'bare metal' directly to/on the processors.

most modern code looks more like this in its human readable form, before distribution as a piece of software, a specialized program called a compiler turns this below into something mere normals cannot comprehend that is little more than an incomprehensable string of hexadecimal pairs.

void CSSdecrypttitlekey(unsigned char *tkey,unsigned char *dkey)
{
int i;
unsigned char im1[6];
unsigned char im2[6]={0x51,0x67,0x67,0xc5,0xe0,0x00};

for(i=0;i<6;i++)
im1=dkey;

CSStitlekey1(im1,im2);
CSStitlekey2(tkey,im1);
}

Why in blue blazes does any of that matter?
Nvida and ATI use mildly different programming interfaces. They design the hardware differently, want larger marketshare, and different optimizations for different things. There are 'agnostic' programming languages, but that lays a whole new problem of being once again still further from the 'bare metal' and having less control over the full output capabilities of your hardware.

Really short version. Instead of having minimal control of what show on the screen, Exocads and 3Sheep decided to optimize their code for Nvidia hardware instead of ATI hwrdware.

For the why's and wherefores of that decision, one or both of us need to be drunk.

(Edit: I am a mere normal, anyone who actually can write decent code is rolling on the floor coughing up a lung in laughter)

Last edited:
M

mptz

Reaction score
ami and ati have come out with something new which gives huge bang for your buck. Intel are now starting to produce chips which will no longer run windows 7 Microsoft is introducing uuefi all these things will change a lot of things.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
ami and ati have come out with something new which gives huge bang for your buck. Intel are now starting to produce chips which will no longer run windows 7 Microsoft is introducing uuefi all these things will change a lot of things.
UEFI is the replacement for the BIOS on the motherboard, and has been a fact for years. All Macs have had them with their jump to intel processors, and I won't say all, but you'd be hard pressed to come up with any new motherboard with a bios anymore.

As for not being able to run window 7, I'd love seeing the source for that 'cause I can't figure out how that's possible and really want to know what I'm missing.

M

mptz

Reaction score
First you are right uefi has been around for a lot of years I am not talking about that Microsoft has introduced uuefi a different standard try to run any uncertified by Microsoft drivers in this they will not work, I can make it more complex than that but it gets technical and trust me windows 7 will be phased out soon motherboard by motherboard because I have the latest api. Microsoft is moving from just being a software platform for pcs to a general platform for everything just take a look at Azure flow chart to see the concept. that how it sees it way to make revenue. underneath uuefi is a whole layer of security.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
First you are right uefi has been around for a lot of years I am not talking about that Microsoft has introduced uuefi a different standard try to run any uncertified by Microsoft drivers in this they will not work, I can make it more complex than that but it gets technical and trust me windows 7 will be phased out soon motherboard by motherboard because I have the latest api. Microsoft is moving from just being a software platform for pcs to a general platform for everything just take a look at Azure flow chart to see the concept. that how it sees it way to make revenue. underneath uuefi is a whole layer of security.
OK your're talking about the trusted boot keys like Canonical paid for and is letting GNU/Linux in general use, for now.

I know about the ring -1,-2,-3 levels and what is happening there. And I've seen how they can be pwned with no way to tell. If your trusted black box is working for someone else too, how would you ever know. Just like the gcc complier that installs a backdoor you'll never see without disassembly.

True security is trusting no one.

edit: thanks for straightening that out

Last edited:
PRO ARTS DL

PRO ARTS DL

Reaction score
That's quite a bit of money!

That is an waaaaayyy more than you would need for 3shape or exocad.

You could keep it under $2000 and it would still be an overkill for exocad. Even under $2000 you would have a system that can handle anything you throw at it and it would last you years and be upgradable. There is no need for the latest i7, you could go for the last generation mid range i7 and save a lot. There is no need for 64GB of RAM, 32 is an overkill already. There is no need for a GTX 1080Ti, a regular 1070 would handle that and any game you want to play. There is no need for an M.2 SSD, a regular SSD can handle everything.

Just look at the build guides pages and almost everything from there can handle exocad or 3shape.

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/

This one for example: https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/xDNnTW/gaming-streaming-and-editing-build. Under $2000 and it would handle anything you want.

I would keep everything Intel just for compatibility purposes.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
So not to listen bullcrap about exocad is meant for nvidia.... this is from exocad own page. I am running exocad and sum3d on AMD ryzen system. The videocard is Nvidia 1050TI, have 16gb of RAM and everything works fine. I am running usually atleast 10 exocad project at the same time.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 17
2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
The just recently amended that page. Till once said that everything was tested on machines equipped with Intel chip sets and nVidia cards.
Obviously that has changed.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
I have ran Exocad from a my laptop, also Medit Scan software. No Probs. i7 2.4G, 8 cores. Integrated graphics intel 4600 HD I ran the most complex designs. Only time it got bogged down was when multiple tabs of Chrome and youtube along with a slew of other applications,,,,,mesh lab, meshmixer etc....So my guess is that it can run on most modern laptops with decent hardware.

I had to improvise using this setup since my HDDs... (raid 0) in my design desktop failed. I was able to recover my data months later...on my own (that's another topic) though they said it could not be done.

I just completed re building and re vamping the old AW desktop....upgrades,,,,,Changed the gpu, switched to ssd's for boot and storage; ram 24Gs from 12Gs. Kept the same cpu.

I'll post details seperately....later

NAME: TORUK

Avatar. The great leonopteryx (Na'vi name: toruk meaning "last shadow") is a species of airborne predatory animals native to Pandora. Scientifically, it is known as Leonopteryx rex – "flying king lion" (from the Greek word λέων leon meaning lion, πτέρυξ pteryx meaning wing, and the Latin word rex, meaning king).