Exocad Hardware Requirements

K

Kan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just want to apologize for the wall of text beforehand. I very much appreciate for any comments.

I did some research online and found recommended specs from the wiki:
  • CPU: Intel Core-i7 - 2600 (Socket 1155)
  • RAM: 6GB
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 560 with 2GB Video RAM
  • Screen resolution: 1080p (1920x1080 or higher)
  • Power: 600 Watt
Seeing this was for the 2015 version of Exocad (and the hardware was released in 2011),I marched on and enlisted Google for help.

Posts from another forum has pretty open descriptions:
  • ... A 64-bit platform with at least 4GB RAM is highly recommended. Since the software takes full advantage of multi-core CPUs, the usage of a modern CPU such as Intel Core i7 is highly recommended.
  • For Trusmile Technology , a modern nVidia graphics card such as GeForce GTX 460, GTX 560 (or faster) is required.
  • For the DICOM viewer , a graphics card with at least 1.5GB of video memory is required

... and I am at a loss....

Intel Core-i7, but what is the "minimum" (to keep cost minimum as well) CPU I could get?

RAM: 6GB, or should I go crazy and get 8GB?

Graphics: This is where I have the most problem...
I checked out the Geforce compare page: https://www.geforce.com/hardware/compare-buy-gpus and it seems GTX 700s and above would be a safe bet?

Is it ok to stick with consumer/gamer cards or do I need to buy workstation graphics like Quadro?

Thanks again for reading (or even skimming) the whole thing Smile

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I'm not exocad expert more 3shape, but when i t come to the pc the both need about the same. I7 for sure but not that low o f one get a i7 7800, at least 16gb on the lowest end fo r ram recommend 32gb or 64gb to be safe. A ssd for main disk 500gb or 1tb then a 2tb o r higher as a data storage drive or get another larger ssd for storage. For the graphics card I thinkk exok has not issue with the evga quadro cards or a evga gtx 1080 to then a good 800 power supply and a cool looking case with a bunch of rgb light.

Hope this helps.

Oh one more thing no less then a 32" monitor 40" prefered.

Sevan

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Also maybe look at cyberpower pcs, ibuypower, or even a dell alienware these guys have decent build for a good price. Also pcpartsbuilder is a great site to build a pc and it tells you who have the parts at the cheapest so you get everything at the lowest price. But I found newest best for everything and it is only a $30.00 difference if you buy parts from different sites for cheaper.

Joshua R. Baldwin

Joshua R. Baldwin

Reaction score
The more ram and dedicated graphic memory the better. I purchased a dell Alienware gaming PC as someone suggested in an earlier post and it's great. Better to overcompensate and go well above the minimum recommendations to make sure you're not getting laggy response while working.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Sys info.png

With nVidia gtx 960 4GB

I built this system in 2014. I can have at least 10 instances of exocad open along with other software before any lagging.
Don't spend the money on a quadro vid card.

K

Kan

Reaction score
I ended up getting i7-7700, 16GB ram, 256GB ssd+ 1TB hdd, gtx 1060 6gb

I figure I can always add more ram and additional storage later. But with the CPU and video card I buy, I am kind of stuck with then for the life of the PC, so might as well sell a kidney and hope for the best.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score

I figure I can always add more ram and additional storage later. But with the CPU and video card I buy, I am kind of stuck with then for the life of the PC, so might as well sell a kidney and hope for the best.

NOICEE!!!!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score

I just got a hp omen 870-240
I7 7700
16gb ram
Gtx 1070
1tb had

No ssd but still is fast. There was another hp omen with the exact same specs as yours for 1399.00 from best buy.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I just got a hp omen 870-240
I7 7700
16gb ram
Gtx 1070
1tb had

No ssd but still is fast. There was another hp omen with the exact same specs as yours for 1399.00 from best buy.

HP? Have they gotten better about the backhoe fulls of preinstalled bloat?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
HP? Have they gotten better about the backhoe fulls of preinstalled bloat?
Nope, I alll that cap is still there, I just uninstalled it all. Lol

esamuelr

esamuelr

Reaction score
This is the minimum hardware configuration to run exocad DentalCAD

• CPU: Quad-Core and 2.8 Ghz
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Graphics: 1GB Video RAM by Nvidia or ATI
  • Screen resolution: 1080p (1920x1080, or higher)
  • Power: 450 Watt

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Im not a computer guy. Im taking small steps and trying to learn. Where are my mistakes in this...
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nNCbm8

Watercooling is a touchy thing. Make sure to change your water often enough and always use the corrosion/bacteria stopping additives. If it's your first watercooled rig, take your time and ask for help if you need it. One leak kills everything in there.

Always get the most capable(expensive) video card you can. Ram is easy to add more later, videocards, not so much.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score

4 gb ram have you ever talked with the exo boys you run into a crash with bigger cases or scan data for sure

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

4 gb ram have you ever talked with the exo boys you run into a crash with bigger cases or scan data for sure

Run the program, vs produce effectively and continually with the program not making you wait.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Im not a computer guy. Im taking small steps and trying to learn. Where are my mistakes in this...
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nNCbm8

Agree with JMN. Water cooling is more of the geeks, game boys who are running their rigs hard for extended
periods of time gaming, and at the same time it's for looks and bragging rights.
Just get something with a fan CPU cooler, and you'll have less to "worry" about.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score

If I may, what did you spend on this configuration? You can PM, if you don't want to put it in public. I am in the same boat and looking around. thanks in advance!

M

esamuelr

esamuelr

Reaction score

This is just me quoting Exocad's wiki. If the Exocad boys don't think this is viable they should change their documentation.
I agree that 4GB Ram is on the low end, but just like JMN said it is enough to run the software. Not everyone does big cases.
Some people are still bread and butter crown and bridge single to 3-unit labs. They may not be large in number but they still exist.

I do wish people would spend a little more to enter into their pc system. Often they go with the minimum, only to realize they need to add an inbox software and then Itero, then blender or meshmixer and 3m margin marking; then they start running the radio in the background and the next thing they realize is that they need to buy a new and updated PC rig within a year. It's unfortunate. Plan for increased capacity when you start if you are customizing your set-up.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Agree with JMN. Water cooling is more of the geeks, game boys who are running their rigs hard for extended
periods of time gaming, and at the same time it's for looks and bragging rights.
Just get something with a fan CPU cooler, and you'll have less to "worry" about.
Game boys running rigs Sorry,man, but that's funny! I read that and auto-envisioned a GameBoy with a smile on its monchrome screen playing Call Of Doody.