Exocad coping design

L

Leejh

Reaction score
When I design a coping in exocad, is there a way to save the shrinked part as STL file so I can mill or print that part?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
When I design a coping in exocad, is there a way to save the shrinked part as STL file so I can mill or print that part?

Ok. So here's what happens.

You design what you want. Exactly.

Then when it is time to fabricate the thing you designed, the material files come into play with the CAM engine.

This is what the shrink at sinter ratio is about. It is a 3 dimensional shrink, not just from the outside or inside. The "everything" gets smaller. Sidewalls get thinner, occlusal height reduces, distance between the interior of the sidewalls reduces, etc.

If you export to mill wax, mill pmma, print various plastics, etc they will alll have different settings, and will be made to be as they will stay after milling. They will be made to be exactly what you designed after any finishing process (like curing some printed materials) is properly carried out.

The equipment is 'smart enough' to know what to do after you set, or get your reseller or outsourcing house to set, the parameters for the material in which you are producing the design AND for the machinery which will produce the design.

So if you already know how to export the stl, you know how to export the stl. It isn't until you tell the systems what you are making the design out of that you need to be concerned with sintering-shrink, wax or pmma melt from too much dwell time, friction and tool speed or any other thing aside from just doing the design as you want the outcome.

Did that explain it well enough for you? If not, It's more me than you and someone smarter can chime in and correct my mis-characterizations and over-simplifications.

user name

user name

Reaction score
@JMN Shes wondering about reduction, not shrinkage.
(Im assuming its a she because you didn't understand :rolleyes:)

I assume you just want to do a split file so you can do a Zr coping and mill the wax to press over?

Answer...split file.

user name

user name

Reaction score
@Leejh In DB, when youre fill out the work form and select the type of restorations, choose 'pressed crown'. You will then be able to choose your coping material and the press over material, and all applicable parameters. When the case is all designed and you go to your CAM, your nc files will all be there ready to pick from.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
@Ralph32 I welcome disagreement, it usually means a chance to learn.
But could you at least say what you disagree with, please.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Hi , if you choose coping in your order page you have many options on reduction. For example you can select all surface s (turns blue): All

-- and exemptall

You can then use your mouse to subtract or add to cutback area. You can also modify the entire cutback in the following screen, just be careful of tool selected and strength. (Add+-remove, Smoothen)

Please note that add/ remove trys to copy existing morphological points and smooth does not.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

user name

user name

Reaction score
@Ralph32 I welcome disagreement, it usually means a chance to learn.
But could you at least say what you disagree with, please.
In defense of Ralph though, you did kinda sound like the Turbo Encabulator guy. :cool:

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
In defense of Ralph though, you did kinda sound like the Turbo Encabulator guy. :cool:
Hadn't run across that one before. Couldn't take more that 40 seconds. aaaiiieeee!
And I wonder why tele-marketers hang up on me. :Call:

user name

user name

Reaction score
@Ralph32

I know youre watching. Thanks for being a good sport. Consider this a formal invitation to join the party. I know you have stuff to share, so get on it!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score

Before you click to shrink the coping save the design as stl. When given the option select 'save in original alignment'.
This will save the design in the same coordinates as the case. You could import it in later as waxup and make it fit intimately
to your coping after milling and finishing down.

I'm guessing Ralph32 fat fingered the dislike.

Top Bottom