Exocad and the Sirona inEos X5

Ecdentaldesign

Ecdentaldesign

Reaction score
I heard at a Sirona show that the inEos X5 scanner is now “open” to be used with Exocad. Does anyone know the extent to which it is the case?

Can I use the scanner within Exocad directly or is it a situation where I need to do the scan in Inlab and export the scan into Exocad?

My goal is to move off of Inlab and begin to use Exocad. If I can still use my scanner that would be ideal.

Its funny how announcements are made at these shows then there is next to no information on it...my guess is that I need to call my Sirona rep to buy some kind of dongle.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The exocad / sirona merger has been a trade secret for some time until we busted it wide open here on DLN.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
The short of the story is that Sirona cut a deal with exo for docs to send scans to exocad labs that don't have the Sirona inlab software through their new portal. Basically a way to make their scanners more appealing ( to sell more scanners) to doctors that don't like being stuck only using inlab labs.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I heard at a Sirona show that the inEos X5 scanner is now “open” to be used with Exocad. Does anyone know the extent to which it is the case?

Can I use the scanner within Exocad directly or is it a situation where I need to do the scan in Inlab and export the scan into Exocad?

My goal is to move off of Inlab and begin to use Exocad. If I can still use my scanner that would be ideal.

Its funny how announcements are made at these shows then there is next to no information on it...my guess is that I need to call my Sirona rep to buy some kind of dongle.

I don't see it on this list:

That's not to say it isn't possible, but it hasn't been listed on the exo site officially. Your hunch about gaving to crack open your wallet to Sirona for another license may be correct.(?)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Frankly, why would you want to stick with the sirona scanner?

Ecdentaldesign

Ecdentaldesign

Reaction score
Frankly, why would you want to stick with the sirona scanner?
To maximize the investment we made in the scanner - I’m an in-house lab so we don’t necessarily have the volume to cost justify another. Which scanner do you have?

M

mmbh

Reaction score
I don't see it on this list:

That's not to say it isn't possible, but it hasn't been listed on the exo site officially. Your hunch about gaving to crack open your wallet to Sirona for another license may be correct.(?)
I don't know know about the sirona inlab scanner with exocad, maybe its possible or in the works. They are opening up the Docs digital impression scanner to exocad as long as you go through their portal. Anything on the lab side usually takes longer to become available.

M

mmbh

Reaction score

Take everything they say with a grain of salt until its actually officially available. They say a lot to get you to buy stuff. I am speaking from experience...

Ecdentaldesign

Ecdentaldesign

Reaction score
Take everything they say with a grain of salt until its actually officially available. They say a lot to get you to buy stuff. I am speaking from experience...
I know...been here so many times. In the “analog days” Ivoclar would get 15k for an oven and a starter kit of porcelain or 2.5k for a full porcelain kit. Now, it’s 75k monthly or yearly fees and you haven’t bought the materials for a simple A2 crown. Just being cost cautious and want to utilize what I already have.

B

bigbrush

Reaction score
Hi Ecdentaldesign,
the X5 scanner should always been open. Here in Germany we had the import exportmodule with it. So you can export *stlfiles to where ever you want.
this files you can import to exocad and design in it.
i did it also for a short period befor buying a smart optics.
You couldn`t scan with the X5 out of Exo because you don`t have a separate scansoftware which makes it possible. Sirona always send the firmware out of the Cad program to sttart the scanner ( closed world Banghead)
hope this helps
regards Tom

B

bigbrush

Reaction score
Nothing has changed. You have to use Sirona SW for scanning only direct importing including patient data. Laugh😂😂

L

Louis B.

Reaction score

I just ran into this problem today when I updated our Inlab PC. I was able to work around it by making some modifications to the "defaultsettings-db.xml" file in Exocad:

<StartButtonList>
<!-- Replace '..Scanner.exe' below by the complete path to your scanner software executable.
Contact your scanner software supplier for info on what additional configuration / command line
is necessary to enable exocad integration. You may need a special version of the scanner software
to enable integration with exocad -->
<!-- <StartButton ImageColor="#FFD98000">
<Icon>ScanIcon</Icon>
<Caption>Scannen</Caption>
<ExecPath value="C:\Program Files\Dentsply Sirona\CADCAM\inLab CAD SW 22.2\Bin\inLabCADSW.exe">
<Params value="%p /MultiDiePluginDLLName=%mfn"/>
</ExecPath>
</StartButton> -->

<!-- Scanner software integration -->

<StartButton ImageColor="#005091">
<Icon>ScanIconPrograScan</Icon>
<Caption>Scan with InEos X5</Caption>
<HideIfFileDoesntExist>%{env:programW6432}\Dentsply Sirona\CADCAM\inLab CAD SW 22.2\Bin\inLabCADSW.exe</HideIfFileDoesntExist>
<ExecPath value="%{env:programW6432}\Dentsply Sirona\CADCAM\inLab CAD SW 22.2\Bin\inLabCADSW.exe">
<Params value="--exocad %p"/>
</ExecPath>
</StartButton>

This should add the Scan button in Exocad and launch the InLab SW straight into scanning mode. I have not tested yet if after scanning I must manually save the STL or if it will do it "automagically". But atleast this should avoid having to enter cases twice in both software's. Hope this helps someone!

This video was also helpful for the first part:

Cheers!

Top Bottom