Exocad 2016?

R

Restoration Dental

Reaction score
Hello,

Our office has been using 3Shape software for cad design, but we are considering letting our subscription expire and switching to Exocad. We already have a copy of Exocad 2016. My question is whether or not it's worth it to upgrade to Exocad 2018, or can we get away with using the 2016 version. What are the benefits of using 2018 versus the older version?

Thanks

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
the only thing you pay for in exocad is service and support. if you don't want any of that you can stick to whatever version you want, but if you do, you probably will be better off with 2018.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
the only thing you pay for in exocad is service and support. if you don't want any of that you can stick to whatever version you want, but if you do, you probably will be better off with 2018.
Service and support are not really necessary for the average user after the first couple of months to a year.
Every year exocad adds features and improvements to their virtually bug free software. It's not the same software year after year.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
not even blackflies?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
The recent releases are pretty nice...if you're use to getting bent over by 3Shape, cough up the extra money and do the 2018 release. 2018 has a pant load of newer hotkeys, allows for a much more fast paced lab. Although, if you're using a older/slower scanner, then not sure i'd really upgrade to 2018.

M

mptz

Reaction score
2016 will do everything you want 3 shape are changing their business model this year might be cheaper to stay with them

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
3Sheep is going to charge a reasonable licensing fee for a software that isn't full of bugs and works??

C

charles007

Reaction score
Hello,

Our office has been using 3Shape software for cad design, but we are considering letting our subscription expire and switching to Exocad. We already have a copy of Exocad 2016. My question is whether or not it's worth it to upgrade to Exocad 2018, or can we get away with using the 2016 version. What are the benefits of using 2018 versus the older version?

Thanks
Contact the company you bought your Exocad from and ask about the differences. They can show the differences over Teamviewer.
Second, you must pay for back years of not paying for Updates, " if " you want the newest 2018 Update.
Third, you can transfer your Exocad Support to another company if you want to at no extra cost.
Lastly, yes the Exocad updates are worth the cost going forward if you want to get away from 3Shape. (I have the newest Exocad Update and used Exocad in 2016)

Edit; you didn't say what scanner your using with Exocad, there are also scanning updates that come out from time to time. I use the Medit scanner and using Identico scanning software, not Exocad scanning software.
When you pay to update your "yearly Exocad ' your getting a year of Support also. If your unhappy with the Exocad support you had now is the time to switch to another company. One of our sponsors is Axsys Dental Solutions and I'm sure they would be glad to give you Exocad.Support with the new Updates.

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Why do I hear others saying that 3shape isnt charging yearly fees anymore? Is this only for the trios? They will be a memory if they dont do something.. people are jumping ship in droves with exo life preservers.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Why do I hear others saying that 3shape isnt charging yearly fees anymore? Is this only for the trios? They will be a memory if they dont do something.. people are jumping ship in droves with exo life preservers.
I'm curious about that too? You 3Shapers get a memo or something? spill the beans, us exo-lifers want to know :)

C

charles007

Reaction score
I did see months ago if you buy a new 3shape scanner there are no fees for the first 2 years. Maybe it was only with certain resellers of 3shape scanners ?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I did see months ago if you buy a new 3shape scanner there are no fees for the first 2 years. Maybe it was only with certain resellers of 3shape scanners ?
anyone buying the new E series scanners has the option to not pay for updates. everyone with the old scanners cannot subscribe to this business model. you have to have the new E scanners.

but even then i think its just the first year free.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
And it discludes model builder, all scans and almost all other options from the no-fee plan as well.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable. I'm switching to 3Sheep. Anyone want to buy a few slightly used exocad dongles?

S

ShoeString12

Reaction score
With the new E-scanners subscription is optional, you still get all the updates for the year you purchased the scanner, You can add on any module you want (Model Builder All scans, abutments, Dentures ect)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
There are 3 license dongle catagories.
1. production
2. educational
3. demo

not all sheep pay ;)