Empress universal stain replacement

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
Alright, stepping out of my knowledge zone with this question. A ceramist I work with was wondering what people are using in place of the IPS Empress universal stains, with the 110/120 being the most important. These were discontinued a little while ago and he is looking for a solid replacement

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
My thought would be to go with their IPS Ivocolor stains.

I believe they come in powder and paste form, as well as fluorescing and non fluorescing.
They also break the shades down within each group, to make it easier and maybe a little more color correct.
It comes in Shade 0 and on up, which could be mixed with 1:1 to get the 110/120 shade.
They will also let you buy them individually or a trial kit etc, so that you don't have to buy a whole system as with InSync
or MiYO. I was given a little trial kit as part of a promotion from Ivoclar, and I do like it. Some of the Essence colors are really nice.

ivocolor2.jpg

ivocolor.jpg

Last edited:
Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I believe they come in powder and paste form, as well as fluorescing and non fluorescing.
That would be the glaze, only. I prefer powder over paste, by a mile! When adding a little contact with the glaze paste, while glaze firing, I have had white blotches or ugly looking contact area with the paste form, due to not perfectly drying or too thick of an application.

'Ivocolor Essence' only comes in powder form and 'Ivocolor Shade' only as paste.
A ceramist I work with was wondering what people are using in place of the IPS Empress universal stains, with the 110/120 being the most important.
If your friend is used to Universal stain, I think, Ivocolor will fit in just fine. Shade past #4, maybe mixed with a tad of #0 should work well for 110/120, which is roughly a light Vita A1.

But there are a couple different options available, too, like Miyo and maybe Cendres Metaux's 'Soprano Surface'.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
That would be the glaze, only. I prefer powder over paste, by a mile! When adding a little contact with the glaze paste, while glaze firing, I have had white blotches or ugly looking contact area with the paste form, due to not perfectly drying or too thick of an application.

'Ivocolor Essence' only comes in powder form and 'Ivocolor Shade' only as paste.

If your friend is used to Universal stain, I think, Ivocolor will fit in just fine. Shade past #4, maybe mixed with a tad of #0 should work well for 110/120, which is roughly a light Vita A1.

But there are a couple different options available, too, like Miyo and maybe Cendres Metaux's 'Soprano Surface'.

Thanks for that info, as I was wondering why some of the trial kit was powder and paste. I routinely use the powder FLUO glaze mixed with Inc for contact add-ons and misc other things.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score

I used to mix my own low fusing ceramic for years to apply when stain and glaze, but with structure ceramic in mayo kit save me time with great results