Emax veneer bonded to Zirconia bridge

G

GarryB

Reaction score
On of my doctors has just fitted 6 anterior emax veneers I have made.....all good and both he and the patient loves them. There is an issue with a 4 unit Zr bridge I made a few months back. New emax veneers BL1, Zr posterior bridge BL4. Is it possible for the Doc to prep the Zr bridge for veneers and have emax veneers bonded to it? Can't see much of a problem if they will bond but never heard of it before?
Please share your thoughts.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
If it is solid zirconia he can't. Zirconia can't be etched. If you have layered it with ceramic, he can do it

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of work to prep a zr bridge for veneers. Why not just cut it off and replace it with the right shade?

If a bonding agent like Bisco ZPrime or equivalent is used bonding veneers to a zr frame should work. I think you will still have trouble matching the value between the emax veneers on natural abutments and the ones on the bridge.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of work to prep a zr bridge for veneers. Why not just cut it off and replace it with the right shade?

If a bonding agent like Bisco ZPrime or equivalent is used bonding veneers to a zr frame should work. I think you will still have trouble matching the value between the emax veneers on natural abutments and the ones on the bridge.

First thing I suggested was remove and re make the bridge but the patient doesn't want to go through the "trauma". The Zr is monolythic from the 4 to the 7 so it's not in the aesthetic zone......doesn't really show much at all but the patient wants to lessen the shade difference.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Re prepping will be just as traumatic.

Ask her if she minds sticking her head in your oven for the " other option".

M

marioss

Reaction score
depends on the prep design it requires retention as no cement will hold it in place.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
It’s just a bad idea, do it right or don’t bother.

Tell that to the patient: we can do this the right way or not at all

suman

suman

Reaction score
Ivoclar has Connect mass for bonding emax to zirconia in lab. Next week i'll get it and make some experiments. I didn't find any protocol to do it In patients mouth/

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
The Zr is monolythic from the 4 to the 7
Prepping that bridge, to receive veneers, will be at least as traumatic as cutting the bridge off. But if he insists, recommend to prep the premolars only.

As for bonding, you got some good input form the previous posters.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Thanks for the recent replies guys, this was a while ago and I explained to the dentist the problems faced. He agreed it would be easier to remove the bridge and re make, which I did. Happy dentist, patient and tech....all good.

Many thanks.