EMAX on Metal abutment

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a case with 2 centrals, one is natural dentition prepped and the other is an ASTRA implant. Dentist requests Emax crowns. Is it safe to have an full mono emax crown ( cut back and layer incisal only) on a cast on abutment? I'm concerned about the strength on of the Emax crown on the metal substructure on an implant since there is zero give with the implant. I also plan to opaque the cast on to hide the metal before I press the emax. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

G

grantoz

Reaction score
i wouldnt do it i have seen way to many fractured.a lot of the cerac guys do them when they break they just replace them but as a lab when one breaks you are going to get a lot of pain from the dentist.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a case with 2 centrals, one is natural dentition prepped and the other is an ASTRA implant. Dentist requests Emax crowns. Is it safe to have an full mono emax crown ( cut back and layer incisal only) on a cast on abutment? I'm concerned about the strength on of the Emax crown on the metal substructure on an implant since there is zero give with the implant. I also plan to opaque the cast on to hide the metal before I press the emax. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Really depends on the extracoronal height (height from gingival to incisal). If it's a lot, no way, or a bruxzer/class II situation i'd go full titanium custom abutments. No need to opaque anything, MOO or E.max LT can hide implant abutments with the right thickness. You figure that patient is going to be biting on granny smith apples...go strong Jedi!!!

Z

ZionDental

Reaction score
Yeah i tried full upper metal structure preped without opaque. I used MT ingot and with right amount of thickness it was good enough to cover the metal. no need to opaque unless you are limited with the thickness

DanM

DanM

Reaction score
We have had great success with e.max and LiSi over metal opaqued and non-opaqued abutments. Round out any sharp edges on the abutment.
How are you opaquing your abutments? I got some light cure stuff but I don't really like it.

Bumfrey

Bumfrey

Reaction score
i have just opaqued many times with no issues. Cocr posts and ti abutments. ( not so many ti abutments ).

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
How are you opaquing your abutments? I got some light cure stuff but I don't really like it.
If you
The abutments that we are opaquing, are custom cast out of our pfm alloy. This way we can opaque, add a thin layer of porcelain , and etch, before the crown is seated.
I have mentioned this before. Back when casting an UCLA was pretty much the only option (except stock abutments) I was told to always cover the opaquer with layered porcelain. This due to the etching gel attacking the opaquer and softening it.

Anyways, today we have many more option and it has been a while since I opaqued an UCLA...

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
If you

I have mentioned this before. Back when casting an UCLA was pretty much the only option (except stock abutments) I was told to always cover the opaquer with layered porcelain. This due to the etching gel attacking the opaquer and softening it.

Anyways, today we have many more option and it has been a while since I opaqued an UCLA...

I have another case with a custom abutment that I have opaqued and also a sprinkle of porcelain over the opaque. The dentist is concerned about the crown de cementing in the future. Is it possible to bond an EMAX to the opaque just like bonding EMAX to enamel?

I'm thinking that the rough surface of the sprinkled porcelain over the opaque will help with the mechanical retention if bonding isn't an option.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I have opaqued and also a sprinkle of porcelain over the opaque
Unless you cover the opaquer 100% with layered porcelain, the etching gel will do its work. But, I agree the sprinkle will give you mechanical retention.

You should be ok with only etching the e.max crown and cementing it over your opaqued and sprinkled UCLA. Unless your UCLA is extremely short.