Emax Maryland bridge

A

AL1

Reaction score
Got a case in today, doc wants an all ceramic maryland bridge.
Anyone ever do one out of emax.
If so where did you sprue it?
Any other advice anyone has would be appreciated.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Hi AL1, We have done a few and we sprue to pontic. single sprue 3mm. Are you doing 1 wing or 2 wing. 1 wing better and ensure wings and connectors are as thick as you can make them and bite is well clear.

cheers jeff

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Ive made 2, and one broke after 1 month the other has been in for over a year.

I do like Jeff, sprue it on the pontic.

finnster68

finnster68

Yep im an Aussie
Reaction score
Been advised by some gurus that 1 wing is better.

There is at least a little bit of "give" when it is only bonded to one tooth.

2 wings its locked in and the chance of fracture is increased.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
That's what my Dad says also. Use just one wing, bcause one usually breaks free from movement.

I feel goofy making a one wing fixed pier.

(I haven't used the term "pier" in a decade. Did I remember it right?)

A

AL1

Reaction score
I have no choice, its slightly prepped for 2 wings and that what the doc wants.

C

charles007

Reaction score
You'll be sorry with 2 wings........Show the doctor the premade connectors that come with your emax kit.........

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
I have no choice, its slightly prepped for 2 wings and that what the doc wants.

have the doctor adhesively bond this bridge. having 2 lingual preps will be alright - more surface area to adhere to. press the bridge out of LT ingots. that way you can maximize your connector dimensions. just let the doctor know that these types of restorations are a bit "out of the normal indications for the material" so the lonegvity of it could be in questions. it could last 1, 2 3+ years or break in 2 weeks. as long as the dentist understands this you have nothing to lose and its gonna look better than anything made out of metal. also sprue the bridge to each unit! sprue the wings and sprue the pontic.

A

AL1

Reaction score
I am using lt A1 and layering the incisal. I etch all my emax for bonding.

A

AL1

Reaction score
Sprued the Maryland bridge to the pontic, pressed great. Emax is unreal, what you can press with it.

C

charles007

Reaction score
How thin is your weakest link ?

A

AL1

Reaction score
Most of the wings are at least 1mm. I had to fight the occlusion for room.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I have a maryland in my mouth on the lower insicors.
Actually, I've had about 3 and 2 of them have failed.
I tried zirco with one wing and it broke off. It also made that one tooth mobile as it was carrying the weight of 2 teeth.
I'm actually thinking of remaking the bridge now with emax as I have bleached my teeth and the shade is out. (current one is NP vmk)

N

nzbroadbean

Reaction score
It is funny that a dentist should ask the lab to etch marylands etc.
We all know that when you etch you should apply the gel, wash off with water and package without touching anything to the etched area; finger oil or anything else will render the etch useless.
The first thing a dentist does with any restoration is to try it in. So he puts the bridge into the patients mouth and the etch is ruined.
I was taught that the dentist should etch the bridge himself after he has tried it in. It takes about 30secs and I am sure the dentist has the required skill.
I think you would get more respect from your dentist by explaining this to him rather than just blindly etching the bridge and knowing it isn't the best way.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Most Labs use HF (HydroFlouric acid) to etch, Dentists usually use Phosphoric acid, which has a much lower acidity to etch or salinate. I believe the self-etch bonding agents are also phosphoric based as well.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
personally i would have gone with zirconia for this. Leave a spacer under the wings and fill with a low fusing ceramic slurry after glazing so that there is an etchable surface and your good to go.

Its rare that you get enough room to do thick enough wings and connectors to use emax.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Ive done about 15-20 so far with 100% success. All 2 wingers. Use little to no lingual separation between the units, and design the retainers so theres a slight tapper towards the edges. Most of mine have been .5-.6mm at the edges and thicken towards the pontic to about .8-1.0mm. I also advise the Doctors that these are contraindicated and there is no warrantee.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I have a couple out there (going on 2 years),but the e.max connectors have to be so thick that it rarely is a good material for maryland bridges. As Paul stated, lay a thin layer of glaze on the intaglio surface of the lava (zirconia) wings and that will be etchable.

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
Hope everyone had a good holiday season and a enjoyable new year
we got this case this am from one of our docs
He is asking for a zirconia maryland bridge- made 1 for this dr on different case, in a short time case failed- wing let go from lingual
dont think i can make it out of emax- not enough room on the wings
any ideas would be a great help, will be speaking to him some time on monday
please see pics below
thank you
Greg Amendola MDT
lab 003.jpg lab 004.jpg lab 005.jpg