Emax Glazing Issue

L

labdreamer

Reaction score
Hello, I have issues with Emax Full Contours. I am using the Fluo Glaze and I strictly stain and glaze. I get an orange peel texture on my crowns after pressing. I fit+trim and i stain, then glaze twice. ( I glaze twice because first time has a rough surface, second time fixes it ) I tried many glazes (Empress Universal, Emax Glaze (non fluo)) I sometimes get a creamy look and white blotches. Someone can please tell me how to glaze in one shot and what glaze they use? Is the orange peel texture normal? I use RIM investment and EP3000.

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
If you have an orange peel texture, you should smooth it out with a Diamond. I texture it with a blue stone and then glaze. If you have white blotches, You might have not fully removed the reaction layer. Sometimes it is hard to see but really shows after glaze. I make sure that the whole surfaces is cleaned up, very lightly sandblasted and then steam cleaned before I apply glaze. According to the Ivoclar instruction you suppose to apply two layers of glaze. Don't do it too thick, It might puddle at the margin and you have to go back and rubberwheel the margin down or re adjust teh contact. Also do not mix any liquid into the glaze. Sometimes I am lucky and I am good with one glaze. Recently I "wet" the surface with a very thin layer of glaze before I apply the stain. This way I already achieve a slight glaze at the stain bake, then one additional bake will do the job.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Once finished I use this flimsy little diamond wheel from Mizzy, I'll try to get the official name for you. It smooths up any "scratches" from grinding. then I sandblast the occlusion lightly and rinse with water. If my glaze has been sitting for an hour I stir it again, should be consistency of elmers glue. cover the crown. For molars I stain and glaze at the same time with a 1425degree F and 3 min hold (?). One firing will do the trick. I'm doing 10-15 per day and 99% come out muy nice.
Basically though, to get rid of the orange peel you either need to smooth or apply less glaze.

L

labdreamer

Reaction score
Ok thank you for your replies. I will try everything you said.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Be careful not to "whip" your glaze and incorporated air into it. This can also cause a hazy, rough surface. RileyS is dead on. We only differ in choice of tools.

D

dhdc

Reaction score
before you glaze,give the entire crown a good rubber with a white rubber,then polish with a diamond polisher,you may need to give the crown a rub down with a bit of dry porcelain powder to avoid the glaze running off the surface,but doing this and applying a thick layer of glaze will mean you never have to glaze twice!

designasmile

designasmile

Reaction score
Kennedy Hawxhurst CDT, the Ivoclar Technical Rep has posted a video showing how to glaze e.max
Glazing the full contour e.max is a different technique than glazing the overlay porcelain.
Glazing e max in 1 Firing - YouTube

L

labdreamer

Reaction score
Thx everyone for the replies i managed to solve all my problems... No more white patches or texture problems. Only the occlusal surface is somewhat rough because i cant go in there with a rubber. I will try rubber then diamond polishing hope that works.

G

Gus

Reaction score
Hi I know this is a really old thread but I have been suffering from an intermittent pitted or orange peel textured glaze for ages and never managed to find a solution online. I finally worked out the solution so I thought I'd share it. I had been using the emax cad stains and glazes but also tried ips and vita akzent. When I moved to vita the problem went away then came back recently. The answer was a real Doh moment. I realised that I was using IPS E.Max CAD Crystal Add-On Liquid to wet my brush instead of IPS E.Max CAD Crystal Glaze Liquid. The bottles look similar but they are definately not interchangeable. Perhaps I'm the only one to mix them up but just incase, if you are getting orange peel or pitting, check your liquids!

G

Gus

Reaction score
I thought I’d better update this issue nobody else has… The issue has come and gone for ages and lead to me thinking I’d solved it many times only to return again. It never happens with vita suprinity, only emax and isn’t cured by an additional glaze step.
Forget my post about the glaze liquid, that’s not the cause after all. In the end I found the pitting was due to incomplete washing of the milled emax! Many others on this forum had mentioned cleaning before and I thought I was being thorough enough as my suprinity was always perfect. Now I’m washing and drying emax more thoroughly, it’s transformed my emax glaze :)

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
I thought I’d better update this issue nobody else has… The issue has come and gone for ages and lead to me thinking I’d solved it many times only to return again. It never happens with vita suprinity, only emax and isn’t cured by an additional glaze step.
Forget my post about the glaze liquid, that’s not the cause after all. In the end I found the pitting was due to incomplete washing of the milled emax! Many others on this forum had mentioned cleaning before and I thought I was being thorough enough as my suprinity was always perfect. Now I’m washing and drying emax more thoroughly, it’s transformed my emax glaze :)
Out of curiosity, with what mill are your emax crowns being milled?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, with what mill are your emax crowns being milled?
I'm guessing a Sirona MC XL, with its oil/glycerin water system. Or, do most of the wet mills use that type of water, lube, combination?

Last edited:
doug

doug

Reaction score
We use Distilled water and whatever that liquod that Amann Girrbach has as an additive. I can't see that as an issue, at least for us, we clean everything and it's all steamed prior to glaze

G

Gus

Reaction score
Hi again Car 54 I am indeed using an mcxl! My problem still occurs from time to time and I am coming round to the idea that it is indeed related to my milling solution or grease in the milling chamber. It’s a randomly occurring issue has been the bane of my life as I t always occurs when I’m in a hurry and probably rush….