Emax CAM fracture...

K

KC Joe

Reaction score
A couple months ago my pressing furnace shot craps. I don't do enough emax anymore to justify replacing it, so a local lab has been milling them for me. I get them pre-chrystalized.
Yesterday I was ready to do the final glaze on single central case, #9, and noticed a horizontal crack on the inside. Runs nearly from mesial to distal, inside the facial surface...it's a little more than 1mm thick in that area.
The lab is milling another one so I can redo. Problem is, I don't know what to do differently.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
A couple months ago my pressing furnace shot craps. I don't do enough emax anymore to justify replacing it, so a local lab has been milling them for me. I get them pre-chrystalized.
Yesterday I was ready to do the final glaze on single central case, #9, and noticed a horizontal crack on the inside. Runs nearly from mesial to distal, inside the facial surface...it's a little more than 1mm thick in that area.
The lab is milling another one so I can redo. Problem is, I don't know what to do differently.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Hey Joe!

Are you using the crystallization tray and pins when crystallizing? And are you using Object Fix when placing on the pins? If the pi s touch the restoration during crystallization it will cause a fracture to devlope.

Also, look at the prep and evaluate if there is a sharp corner in the area of the crack. This can also cause a stress concentration area causing the restoration to crack after several firings.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Sorry guys, it has been a rough few months around here. Almost not enough time to wipe my a$$. Finally starting to get some time to breath.

Trying to finalize our DigDenture workshop that I teach, teaching classes, travel to Vietnam for work, Chicago, and all my university courses in between.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Sorry guys, it has been a rough few months around here. Almost not enough time to wipe my a$$. Finally starting to get some time to breath.

Trying to finalize our DigDenture workshop that I teach, teaching classes, travel to Vietnam for work, Chicago, and all my university courses in between.
And all this time I thought you were lounging on Siesta Key taking in the sights while having some tropical c0cktails.

K

KC Joe

Reaction score
Thanks Patrick.
I talked with someone @ Ivoclar (Bill maybe?) earlier today. Apparently, unlike the pressed material, sandblasting is NOT recommended for CAD. Banghead

As to your other questions: I'm using Harvest Dental Super Peg II on a standard honeycomb tray, although I am VERY careful about making sure the pins don't contact the crowns. So, I got that goin' for me...
I wouldn't think the prep was an issue in this case; the crack was about half way up the facial of the prep, in a very smooth area.