Economy and Removables

D

DDDental

Reaction score
How is your business doing in this recession? I have never had so much work before. Seams like there is a great switch from Fixed to Removable Prosthodontics. Yesterday, Saturday, I had to put in 14 hours shift and have to work today too.
So what is your experience and how are you dealing with this crises?

Z

zena

Reaction score
where are you located? No one has lost there job here, theres always something to do, and lots of cases are still comming in. Comparing to a year ago today there was more work load last year.

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Busy here too.......
I've said this before, but since I just love repeating myself. I think it's from everyone rushing to get their dental treatment done before they lose their job/layed off. I truly believe this, so stand by, rocky times ahead. Now I understand it may be different in other areas of the country but here in Michigan, we have way too many Democrat Chiefs and no Indians, especially not any patriotic warriors, that's for sure.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I wish I could say we were busy, Jan we were 11% above Jan 2008 and 32% above any month of the prior 2 quarters. Unfortunately Feb was a real dog, I have some very big cases in the works for March but with the production swings right now it is making layoffs look manditory.

L

labdude

Reaction score
No losses, Growing. I tried to slow down last year, dropped off 3 clients. I new one found me last month. Drs I work for now as busier than usual. I may have to lighten my work load more.
Mike.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
No losses, Growing. I tried to slow down last year, dropped off 3 clients. I new one found me last month. Drs I work for now as busier than usual. I may have to lighten my work load more.
Mike.
DITTO

D

DDDental

Reaction score
I want to drop off some of my accounts too but I am afraid to. Who knows what's coming. Meanwhile I am fricking killing myself putting in 80 hours a week.

Last edited:
CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Don't drop them. Raise their fees 20%. If they leave fine. If they stay look at some of the others that could use a 20% increase.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Not really feeling things here. But Im a one man laboratory, and have a rather nice, small, nationally based niche' market. I am feeling rather greatfull today as I heard many gloom and doom stories on the floor of LMT Chicago. People who attended my lecture however, were not the ones saying things had slowed much. Those technicians / labs were mostly seeing a modest increase in work.
I agree that right now the public is out there getting things done before they loose their job, insurance, or both.

As they say, Hope for the best, Plan for the worst!

L

labdude

Reaction score
All great answers here 3D.
Your working to hard, to long. First thing I did last year was increase prices. I just went up 4%, it did make a difference. Helped cover for increased costs from suppliers, a little went for the rediculous fuel prices at the time.
However, suppliers did not come down in their prices, they all went up, including FedEx, and stayed there. So the first logicla thing to do is increase a bit. At least 4% across the board. Then go back take a look at what supplies went up the most, or that you may be undercharging for, and increase those again, over the first 4%.
You most likely will stay as busy as ever, but, you'll feel a little better for a while. Till the hours kick you in the head again. That could take a couple of months. Possibly by then, you'll see where the economy "might" be headed, then drop the slow payers first, second, any office you have to ship to, then any office that is the farthest drive, then the office that calls and talks a lot and uses up a lot of your time. I'm sure others here have ideas on who to drop off first.
Mike.

D

dentcre

Reaction score
I had to buy 50 more work pans,, its been real good, record months ,
I picked up 2 more customers back in october just in case the dental lab economy went down,,,but now I think I shot myself in the foot LOL.
all my customers are up 20 % .

cant complain though,,with the new lab building right now , I can use the extra mula.

might be the baby boomers.

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I picked up 2 more customers back in october just in case the dental lab economy went down,,,but now I think I shot myself in the foot LOL.

cant complain though,,with the new lab building right now , I can use the extra mula.

I think its wonderful so many of you are fairing better than most in this economy. My growth over the years has been directly related to growing vanity and discretionary income as it relates to Cosmetics. We would do at least 3 6 over 6 cases a week and it has dried up to one every other week. Implants are still strong for now, removable is steady but not as many combination cases now days. Lots of patchem up dentistry being done.

Marketing has been a big help for us, even though sales per client are down, the interest in the lab has been growing. We are getting approx 3 new clients calling for more info a week since I implemented and outside sales rep.

Time will tell if we will get back to the gravy of cosmetics but for now I have been treading water to maintain my staff in anticipation of the turn around.

D

DDDental

Reaction score

This is like reading my own post. Before October, I politely refused any more customers, but then out of fear of recession, I picked up 2 more accounts, and BOOM, been too busy ever since

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I've picked up 4 new clients since January. Personally, I'm in hog heaven. Bring it on!

Top Bottom